• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New guy . . .

Reaction score
Hola amigos. FNG here . . .

Well, new(ish) to Texas anyway. I've been riding about a decade, & currently have a couple germans in the garage. Don't hold that against me - I like all the flavors of kool-aid, but have a love/hate relationship with those orange contraptions coming out of Austria.

I'm on the south side (67 / I-20) & always up for cold beer, good food, & tall tales. I used to say I was always up for a good twisty road - but I don't think you guys have those out here (I mean seriously - why weren't riders consulted when they laid out the road system?!?!)

Anyway - looking forward to meeting some locals who know that two wheels are better than four.

Welcome to TWT. German and Austrian bikes abound on this site, so you'll find lots of company. There are a number of meet & greet groups here & there; one or another will probably come looking for you. Also, there's a Pie Run the last Saturday of every month, year around; locations might be anywhere from 50 to 250 miles from your location.

currently have a couple germans in the garage. Don't hold that against me

I don't ... Sachs has been around for a while

Sachsy ...

Screen-Shot-2016-03-10-at-8.54.07-PM.png

but have a love/hate relationship with those orange contraptions coming out of Austria.

What do you have against handling and horsepower? :giveup:

BTW ... welcome to the site.
Look forward to seeing you in my mirrors ...

:duck:

Last edited:
LOL ... my biggest fear was the maintenance and reliability.

Talked with a couple KTM owners and they said that was all false rumors spread by Rossi-wannabe's riding Pizza bikes.

Knock on wood, the Austrian Goddess of Horsepower has been rock solid for almost a year and 13K miles.

Looking forward to meeting you.

Last edited:
LOL ... my biggest fear was the maintenance and reliability.

Talked with a couple KTM owners and they said that was all false rumors spread by Rossi-wannabe's riding Pizza bikes.

Knock on wood, the Austrian Goddess of Horsepower has been rock solid for almost a year and 13K miles.

Not to be a buzzkill here, but a few years back I was at the KTM dealer talking to them about one of their Adventure bikes and the guy asked what I currently rode. I told him that I had my V-Strom that was currently sitting at 101k miles on it, and his first question was how many top ends I have had to put on it. I told him that I had adjusted the valves once, and that was it and his jaw almost hit the floor.

I'm sure they have gotten better since then, but his comment steered me away from them and back to another Japanese bike.

Again, this is not first hand experience at all with any KTM product; as I will certainly admit that I have zero experience with them. But a KTM sales guy is not doing the brand any favors with comments like that.:shrug:

Goodtimes, you said you are south of 20 and 67'ish? Like Desoto area or way more south? I'm currently looking at some land way south of 20 near 67 in Venus. Anywho, welcome to the site and look for the semi-regular meetup posts on here. Looking forward to meeting you!:welcome:

I'm actually about a third of a mile north of I-20, at the far North end of Duncanville.

on the whole KTM thing - there's no denying that they are maintenance intensive little buggers - but there's a draw to them that's hard to explain. I had a pre-KTM Husaberg that was the same way. Ugly as sin, unreliable as a land rover, but man would it put a big stupid grin on my face every time I pinned the throttle. :rider:

Again, this is not first hand experience at all with any KTM product; as I will certainly admit that I have zero experience with them. But a KTM sales guy is not doing the brand any favors with comments like that.:shrug:

This is the 2nd or 3rd time you've posted this experience with the orange.
I'm beginning to think you are trying to be a buzzkill ... or maybe the salesman just wanted you to go away.

Again, this is not firsthand knowledge at all.

;-)

or maybe the salesman just wanted you to go away.

He did a good job too. I went and paid cash for a Tenere a few weeks later and 30k miles later it is still rock solid. Yamaha should send him a #1 salesman plaque or something! LOL

In all seriousness, I hope you get many trouble free miles out of your KTM. :thumb:

Back