• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TxTag for MC

Rudy

Reaction score
Howdy,

My wife signed us up for it, and registered her car, my car, and one of my motorcycles. We got our packet in the mail a week later, and its 3 stickers, with an FAQ of if you ride a motorcycle call us. My wife called them, said we needed a TxTag for a motorcycle, gave them information, and lo and behold a week later I got another sticker. I check our accounts and we weren't hit with their deposit. Now I get to call them to this mess figured out. :doh:

I'm assuming the device is so kind of transponder? Anyone have one?

Thanks!

Yeah, they'll charge $40 for the motorcycle one (absurd). It's a box.

TImely thread for me, I just got a bill from the NTTA for my Africa Twin that says it would have been $2 cheaper had I had a sticker or box or something on the bike.

So, you can't put a sticker on your windscreen?

I thought I saw one on Uncle Buck's windscreen.

all of my bikes have windshields, so we put the sticker on the windshield and have never had a problem. No need to buy the RF box and then find somewhere to mount it on the bike..

Gary

I think if you have a windscreen, you can put it on and be okay.

I dont have one on my Victory, or else I'd be good to go.

Ah, I forget about the no windscreen thing. I'm wind weenie and have them on all my bikes :)

I never put a sticker on. At least here locally, It reads the plates and charges my account.

NTTRA will bill by plate. Last year they sent me a bill for tolls on my '71 Triumph that hasn't been in North Texas since 1991, (or ridden since 2015.) That took a couple of weeks to fix.

HCTRA gave me a transponder the size of an eyeglasses case with instructions to glue it to my windshield. It's buried in the glove box of the RT and works fine from there.

m

Okay, a couple of things.

1. Yes, it reads the plates on your home toll system. So if TXtag is your normal toll roads you are good. But it you go to one of the neighboring systems that works with the TxTag then it needs to read the tag, it can't reference back to the plate. I found this out getting an issue settled.

2. The stickers seem to work on plastic windshields, but TxTag says not too. And I swap windshields seasonally so that's an issue. So if you leave one screen one, this could be viable.

3. The transponder can be stashed under a seat or tank bag.

4. Remember to remove your transponder if you are trailering the bike so you don't get double charged.

I'm not sticking a fugly toll tag sticker on an already tiny flyscreen so I'm happy to hear that the transponder still works if it is under the seat. Anybody ever have an issue with it NOT working from such a location?

I have two new bikes to "sticker" so I've been concerned about that. My old bike has the transponder (height / width about the size of a pack of smokes, depth about a third of that). I'd be happy to trade that for a sticker as long as I can keep the sticker concealed somewhere.

Future tech - they should just chip the vin number on the bike so we could do away with toll tags and license plates. Might also work as a lo-jack if Big Govt is on the job.

Dave.

FYI... around Houston, the HCTRA requires you to have a sticker or transponder. The only bill you get for license plate only will include a penalty - they don’t do plate billing like Austin and DFW. There are a few cash booths left, but most have been taken out. Personally, I believe this isn’t right, but they never ask me about these things.

I've never had a problem carrying my txtag in the pocket of my jacket. It gets scanned every time.

FYI... around Houston, the HCTRA requires you to have a sticker or transponder. The only bill you get for license plate only will include a penalty - they don’t do plate billing like Austin and DFW. There are a few cash booths left, but most have been taken out. Personally, I believe this isn’t right, but they never ask me about these things.

Hey Jay,

HCTRA has a new deal called EZ Tag Express that doesn't require a tag or transponder. It's new and has a few limits on it, like part of the Grand Parkway isn't covered. They are slowly catching up.

mike

A note for trailering.......NTTRA requires a tag on the trailer as well as the tow vehicle. I got a bill after letting someone use my trailer, and their truck had a tag. When I called, the clerk explained how they operate. I don’t know about the other systems.

I've never had a problem carrying my txtag in the pocket of my jacket. It gets scanned every time.

On my K1600 I just slide the transponder up under the tail section in that gap behind the pillion seat. You can see it when the seat is off. Works great.

A note for trailering.......NTTRA requires a tag on the trailer as well as the tow vehicle. I got a bill after letting someone use my trailer, and their truck had a tag. When I called, the clerk explained how they operate. I don’t know about the other systems.

Interesting. In Austin they just count axles and charge the towing vehicles tag for the trailer.

Toll roads are highway robbery!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

One thing seems clear - there is little continuity into toll road treatment / procedures across Texas. I understand different jurisdictions and all that, but it's still kind of ridiculous that each fiefdom has different rules about sticker / no sticker / trailer needs sticker etc especially when it is becoming darn near impossible to navigate around a large urban area without using a toll road.

Anyway it is what it is - a new kind of tax. Thanks for the input on the HCTRA stickers - good to know they can be concealed and still function.

Dave.

Hey Jay,

HCTRA has a new deal called EZ Tag Express that doesn't require a tag or transponder. It's new and has a few limits on it, like part of the Grand Parkway isn't covered. They are slowly catching up.

mike

Thanks Mike; first I’ve heard about it. I’ve been holding off on another transponder for the AT and hopefully, I won’t need one.

I never put a sticker on. At least here locally, It reads the plates and charges my account.

Same here....have tolltag stickers for my bikes but don't put them on. Bike rolls through, it matches the license plate to one with a tolltag and just assumes it didn't read it and charges the tolltag account at the tolltag rate.

Didn't even know there was a RFID box option.

I have a TXTag account for both my cars with a transponder, for my bike I just logged on to my account and added the license plate of the bike, never got a tag for it.

I am on the Grand Parkway all the time with no issue, and have driven on Sam Houston Tollway 10-20 times (between 10 and 290 and 10 and 59) and never had a problem with it charging my TXTag account correctly. I have also been on the Katy Tollway, but I am pretty sure I rode through it in the HOV lane.

Years ago, I'd simply ride between the pressure plates in the easy tag lane and the bike wasn't recorded. Never paid a toll nor got a bill. IDK if the metering system has changed.

Years ago, I'd simply ride between the pressure plates in the easy tag lane and the bike wasn't recorded. Never paid a toll nor got a bill. IDK if the metering system has changed.
On some of the older toll monitoring systems you can still do it, but the newer ones, not so much.

On a side rant, I am still irked that motorcycles pay the same toll as a fully loaded 20,000 lb 2 axle panel van.

Back