• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Camping Heater -- catalytic heater

punk_emo_tx said:
No one fears a catalytic heater as much as someone that has never used one. These same folks think its OK to lite candles and lanterns in tents for heat.... carbon manoxide build up....death.

I'm not debating with you the merits or dangers of catalytic heaters. I have multiple myself. I am simply pointing out that they consume oxygen and result in an increase of carbon monoxide and moisture within a tent. A candle lantern is a significantly smaller consumer of oxygen. They are enclosed in glass and are usually hung overhead from the loft or loop in the top of the tent. This thread is far broader in range than just talking about heating a tent, hence my comment about sleeping bag choice. If I am in my tent, I am in my sleeping bag. Shoes and outergear are stripped off as I enter the tent. If they are wet (usually), they stay outside. I have cooked many a meal in the door of my tent, under the awning, never exposing more than my lower arms and my head, which is always covered with a watch cap. Most of the heat is lost through our skulls anyway.

My "Mr. Heater" and my wall mounted heater in my Pace trailer both have O2 sensors. I use them at night in the trailer. But then, it has no insulation and the door is cracked to let out the propane hose.

Regarding the comment about enclosing the lamp/heater within a can ... I would never seriously think about the use of a can to shield a lantern or a heater. Coleman is very specific about the operational range of their lanterns and the heat reflected back into the tank of white gas (aka bomb) WILL result in a catastrophic event that will be unpleasant, if not deadly.

The problem is that unchallenged comments can be taken as fact instead of “ideas” to be discussed.

Not trying to step on anyone’s toes. :sun:

IMO, any heaters of any types (catalytic, candles, lanterns, or any other types of combustion) are off limits for me while in a tent. If I wanted a warm and cozy place to stay then I would get a motel or something. Again, I don't want to step on toes either, but any type of combustion inside a big flammable human roasting bag(tent) scares me enough not to use them. When I do my map planning I either lay in my sleeping bag, or get up and put on my riding gear and plan away.

And again, that's just my opinion, and I know other people have different ones.

I didn't find anything specific about the dangers of catalytic hearters but (I know they are dangerous) I did see these (links) about lanterns and stoves. I'm sure someone can find catalytic heater danger links.

I do wonder why a reputable company like Coleman would sell these as tent heaters.

I did find this from Coleman.... a catalytic heater burns at a lower temperature than a normal flame do to evenly distributed platinum. This heater has a low burn temperature ( no flame ) but can still burn clothing, sleeping bags, etc. that might fall on the burner surface. When used in any inside area, provide a freash air opening of at least three square inches. Do not use other burning appliances inside.

It's a given that catalytic heaters are dangerous but it also seems that lanterns i.e. open falmes are more dangerous.

I think this topic has been beaten to death. Anyway here's the links, hope they work.

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2005/09/19/b2.or.campersdies.0919.p1.php?section=nation_world

http://zenstoves.net/COHazard.htm

http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline...&issn=1080-6032&volume=015&issue=03&page=0157

punk_emo_tx said:
It's a given that catalytic heaters are dangerous but it also seems that lanterns i.e. open falmes are more dangerous.
I agree with this totally. I don't use any flame inside my tent. Only battery flashlight. The fire stays outside. Time to move on. Happy camping. :rider:

What is flashlight you speak of? Is that what campers used before LED headlights?:mrgreen:

Think I'm gonna start a camp stove thread. Everybody will beat their chest saying theirs is best.:rofl:

I cold camp often. Matter of fact I'll be doing it in chilly AZ next week.
I would never put a heat source like that in my tent. :eek2:

Here is the best (and safest) tip I can give provided that you have a camp fire:

Put about six softball size rocks around the campfire. They will get hot as heck. Get two of them and wrap then in a shirt or towel and put them in your sleeping bag about 10-30 mins before you go to bed.

Trust me this will keep you warm!!!

When you wake up to pee, switch the rocks in your bag for some fresh hot ones.

Oh.... and wear a stocking hat.

And if you're a diver, don't confuse your sleeping bag for your wet suit! You'll be warm for a little while, but then...

punk_emo_tx said:
What is flashlight you speak of? Is that what campers used before LED headlights?:mrgreen:

Think I'm gonna start a camp stove thread. Everybody will beat their chest saying theirs is best.:rofl:
I guess I did just date myself. I do use an LED headlamp now. Love 'em. A thread about which stove is best is like asking which brand of motorcycle is best. ;-)

CBAT said:
I guess I did just date myself. I do use an LED headlamp now. Love 'em. A thread about which stove is best is like asking which brand of motorcycle is best. ;-)

Hee Hee

936989.jpg

Foolproof

819264.jpg

Complete with LED ... best of both worlds ...

Choosing the best motorcycle depends only on the terrain expected, rider ability, yada, yada, yada ...

Best ...

Is there one, I have 4 that I can ride, all off road or DS ... no street bikes ... yet

Teeds said:
Hee Hee

936989.jpg

Foolproof

819264.jpg

Complete with LED ... best of both worlds ...

Choosing the best motorcycle depends only on the terrain expected, rider ability, yada, yada, yada ...

Best ...

Is there one, I have 4 that I can ride, all off road or DS ... no street bikes ... yet
I have the one in the top photo. :thumb: I used it mosly on my sailboat in the cabin to preserve battery power. Puts of a nice mellow light. I didn't carry it backpacking since I carried the headlamp and was shaving as many ounces as I could to keep weight down. I just couldn't have the duplication.

CBAT said:
I have the one in the top photo. I didn't carry it backpacking since I carried the headlamp and was shaving as many ounces as I could to keep weight down. I just couldn't have the duplication.

Are you a follower of Colin Fletcher? Do you remove the core from your roll of toilet paper and cut off the handle on your tooth brush? :lol2:

One thing I like to do when I'm out in the woods is to try to imagine what the early explorers did to stay dry/warm as they were traveling through the unfriendly low lands of southeast Texas and similar terrain. I bet many of them would have quickly given up their left thumb to have a catalytic heater.

Teeds said:
Are you a follower of Colin Fletcher? Do you remove the core from your roll of toilet paper and cut off the handle on your tooth brush? :lol2:
:lol2: Not quite that extreme. But I do avoid duplication of equipment and trim weight whenever I can. Ounces add up to lbs. I've saved up to 10 lbs on some trips and when hiking at elevations above 10,000 feet I feel every ounce I have to carry. As it is, I usually end up carrying about 65 lbs of essential gear. :giveup: Not as young or physically tough as I used to be.

Hey guys, so I know this is a very old post I'm resurrecting here but do any of you have a spare one of those heaters?

My house recently burned down and I lost everything, needing to get away I've been taking off for the woods every chance I can get. It's getting cold out there and one of the few things I miss is my camping gear.

This heater being one of them.

I also have my eyes peeled for a new sleeping pad and bag.

Any kinda of a heater in a tent freaks me out. I missed a trip a few years back to Colorado. Bunch of my buddies went up and one of them said "I'm going to warm my tent with my heater before bed". He set it up and let it run for a few min before crawling in. Next morning everyone crawled out but him. Doctor said he was probably unconscious within 5 min.

Needless to say Ill go to bed cold in my tent from now on. I cant imagine going through what my buddies did having to pull your dead friend out of a tent in the middle of Colorado.

Any kinda of a heater in a tent freaks me out. I missed a trip a few years back to Colorado. Bunch of my buddies went up and one of them said "I'm going to warm my tent with my heater before bed". He set it up and let it run for a few min before crawling in. Next morning everyone crawled out but him. Doctor said he was probably unconscious within 5 min.

Needless to say Ill go to bed cold in my tent from now on. I cant imagine going through what my buddies did having to pull your dead friend out of a tent in the middle of Colorado.

Holy ****, that must have been absolutely horrendous. In helping to keep something like that from happening again do you mind if we get some details on the incident?

Maybe the type of heater and tent? Was it on all night or just for those 5 minutes?

I'm guess it wasn't a catalytic heater.

Basically they were up riding around Tin Cup Colorado. They got back to camp a little after dark. James didn't have a heavy coat on so he was pretty chilled. They messed around for a few in camp and James went up to get cell service to call his wife. After he came back he started a little propane heater in his tent to get it warmed up. He was just in a small one man tent. My other buddy said it was only on for a few minutes before James crawled in. They pretty much all went to bed at this point. My friend Andy said he remembered saying something to him about opening a vent in the tent. Rest his history.

You have to remember that carbon monoxide does not rise it settles along the ground. They believe that in the amount of time he left it running to warm up the tent it was able to build up heavy enough to pretty much knock him out really quick. He probably had every intention to turn it off before going to sleep but carbon monoxide just puts you to sleep. You also have a hard time smelling it unless you have a big build up of it.

Andy said when they unzipped the tent the next morning it smelled like rotten eggs. I still remember getting the phone call that morning.

Hey guys, so I know this is a very old post I'm resurrecting here but do any of you have a spare one of those heaters?

My house recently burned down and I lost everything, needing to get away I've been taking off for the woods every chance I can get. It's getting cold out there and one of the few things I miss is my camping gear.

This heater being one of them.

I also have my eyes peeled for a new sleeping pad and bag.

Dang, man that is no good at all. I wish I had one to spare, and lived closer to you. I will say, please don't use one of these things indoors or in a confined space but I'm sure you already know that. I have one for the garage, but I always make darn sure that I have very good ventilation when I use it.

taking a flame/catalytic heater into a tent is in the same chapter as taking food into a tent

having a candle lantern or small oil lamp in your tent in the summer, w/ the flaps open is in another chapter

in a 3-season tent, w/ mesh all the way to the ground AND an air gap between ground & the fly, there might be exceptions to the above

clean sleepwear, fresh/clean wool socks & a sleeping HAT are paramount to keeping warm @ night

just my 2¢ worth

clean sleepwear, fresh/clean wool socks & a sleeping HAT are paramount to keeping warm @ night

just my 2¢ worth

I think the hat is really important too. Once I was tenting and really cold and had to use a t-shirt for a hat. Just put the top of your head and ears in and fold the rest behind you.

Too easy to lose heat through my bald head!

in my above reply, i mentioned FRESH/CLEAN...

this is important because the clothes you wore all day have been compressed AND they have absorbed sweat

the sweat causes the fibers to stay collapsed/compressed and drastically reduces their effectiveness

my usual BOOT SOCKS have SCENT LOCK & can be worn more than one day w/o picking up any odor butt... they still get exposed to sweat

in REAL COLD weather, i will use a HANDI-WIPE(or similar product) to wipe my feet and put on FRESH/CLEAN WOOL SOCKS

i will, frequently, keep a pair of heavy socks for just sleeping, reducing the number of items i carry with me

that or just put on tomorrow's socks the night before

as for the HAT, i have both FLEECE & WOOL HATS & both work quite well

Back