• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Plastic restorer

Reaction score
First Name
David
I was cleaning the DRZ this evening and the plastic is faded. What would be a good product to restore the color ?

Years ago I had a 1984 XR500 that faded to pink almost. I wet sanded the plastic and sprayed it with clear coat. It looked great. Of course it suffered the same date as any painted plastic though.

I'm not sure how it works on colored plastics but I know people have used heat guns to bring the shine/color back to black plastics like on Jeep fender flares.

The best restorer that I have found hides in your wallet and a string of numbers on it that will cause companies to send you new plastic. You can sand it and buff it out and reseal it, but that will only get you so far.

High Gloss SC1 Clear Coat is more of a protectant but it does make dull plastic pop. Not permanent though. You will have to reapply.

The best restorer that I have found hides in your wallet and a string of numbers on it that will cause companies to send you new plastic. You can sand it and buff it out and reseal it, but that will only get you so far.

This.

Surprisingly, plastic on most bikes like the DRZ are not super expensive, at least not compared to things like pieces on bikes with full fairings. Now small bits of bodywork for a BMW GS... :eek2:

Back