• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moab dualsport trip 4/5-11/2015

I am checking with my wife and may join in. Don't have a trailer and would love to share trailer and expenses. I would ride my crf250x (will need to plate it, but that's easy and cheap)

I am checking with my wife and may join in. Don't have a trailer and would love to share trailer and expenses. I would ride my crf250x (will need to plate it, but that's easy and cheap)

Paco, It'll be great to have you. I live in north dallas, close to plano, and will more then likely haul my bike on a truck, so getting you up there wouldn't be a problem. How big is the gas tank you have on the CRF ?

Hey, watch where you poke that thing!

Heck yeh, I'm up for a trip. As long as we aren't camping off small bikes. I will need to split a room with someone (BEEMIN?). Maybe we can find a big place to share like we have done before.

Steve

Sharing a big place sounds like a great idea

Paco, It'll be great to have you. I live in north dallas, close to plano, and will more then likely haul my bike on a truck, so getting you up there wouldn't be a problem. How big is the gas tank you have on the CRF ?

Thank you, Mati!

The CRF250x has a stock tank today with a capacity of 2.5 gallons or about 110 miles. I have a 1 gallon Rotopax that I can install plus I can probably take an additional 1/2 gallon in a tank bag or backpack. So I can probably ride 160-170 miles with the extra gas.

The CRF250X is not a dualsport and it's not geared or equipped for road riding, even if plated. - I could do 30-40 miles from Moab to White Rim and back but not much more than that...I am limited pretty much to off-pavement with my little Honda. I am more interested in scenic rides than super technical tight stuff. I am not an expert enduro rider yet!

Edit: Also, not into camping... would prefer to ride for the day and return to Moab at night. Sharing a big place or motel room is ok by me.

Paco, this is exactly what i have in mind too. I have a 3.4 gal tank but my range is going to be shorter because of the bigger engine.

My bike is a nightmare on highways, so if we have enough people and vehicles to where we can trailer to the beginning and end of the trails I'd be more them happy too (btw, i think we can make kind of a loop out of white rim and just trailer the bikes to the park..)

I also would rather do the scenic road. The only 2 ""difficult" sections I'm thinking about maybe doing are the trail up to the top of the world and Lockhart basin but I'm not planning on doing any of those on the first day so we'll have some time to make the decision. I also wonder if Lockhart basin is easier going north vs south like all the guide books describe.

Camping might be too cold when we are going, so I'll stick to hotel/motel/condo too

Hi Desmo, I built up a camper van and will be using that as my home base. Looks like a mixed lot of riders interested in this trip. Reunion for some of us.

Just realized weekend of Apr 12th are the MotoGP races which I purchased tickets for.

Sorry Mati, not going to make this one. :(

So to refresh this thread and hopefully get more confirmations... any updates from those of you interested? Who is certain and who's tentative as of now?

I think we need to start thinking about reservations for those of us staying at a motel, and also bike transportation.

Thanks!

So to refresh this thread and hopefully get more confirmations... any updates from those of you interested? Who is certain and who's tentative as of now?

I think we need to start thinking about reservations for those of us staying at a motel, and also bike transportation.

Thanks!

Good idea Paco. If those of you interested in coming can let us know what they're riding, where are they coming from and if they have room to haul someone else, that'll be great and I can go a head and edit the first post on this thread as things get updated.

I will be coming for sure.

Roger "Rsquared" and his son, Mason, will be coming.

I think Steve "Desmo" is coming.

The four of us will be trailering up together and should arrive early evening Saturday. We will be bringing a lot of bikes...

Me: R1200GS and KTM 530 EXC.
Roger: KTM 450 EXC, KTM 690, and a Yamaha FZ-09 (I think)
Steve: R1200GS and KTM 690

The plan is to alternate street/dirt days. There is some pretty awesome street riding in the area as well.

I have not had time yet to even look at lodging options. We're not really interested in camping for this trip, so it will be either a hotel or maybe a rental cabin. Is there a central place where folks are gathering?

That'll be great to meet you guys.

I didn't have any chance to look at lodging either, but I know neither Paco or I would be camping. if you guys have any suggestions let us know.

I will be coming for sure.

Roger "Rsquared" and his son, Mason, will be coming.

I think Steve "Desmo" is coming.

The four of us will be trailering up together and should arrive early evening Saturday. We will be bringing a lot of bikes...

Me: R1200GS and KTM 530 EXC.
Roger: KTM 450 EXC, KTM 690, and a Yamaha FZ-09 (I think)
Steve: R1200GS and KTM 690

The plan is to alternate street/dirt days. There is some pretty awesome street riding in the area as well.

I have not had time yet to even look at lodging options. We're not really interested in camping for this trip, so it will be either a hotel or maybe a rental cabin. Is there a central place where folks are gathering?

Great time of the year to visit the area. I was in Moab last summer and it was a bit warm. Cool dual-sport trail called kokopelli that goes to Grand Junction from Moab...

RB

Great time of the year to visit the area. I was in Moab last summer and it was a bit warm. Cool dual-sport trail called kokopelli that goes to Grand Junction from Moab...

RB

Thanks RB. kokopelli trail looks cool, I was thinking of doing it as part of big loop connecting Sand Flats rd - La Sal pass - Thompson Canyon and Onion creek ... :rider:)

How bad/easy is it?

btw, original post was edited to show who's coming, and I will keep updating as things change.

Thanks RB. kokopelli trail looks cool, I was thinking of doing it as part of big loop connecting Sand Flats rd - La Sal pass - Thompson Canyon and Onion creek ... :rider:)

How bad/easy is it?

btw, original post was edited to show who's coming, and I will keep updating as things change.

xComposite-Kokopelli-603.jpg.pagespeed.ic.vmjXmAOaYR.jpg

You will spend all day going one way, so my suggestion is to do half of the route (Westwater or Cisco points should be fine) and turn around. The stair-step climbs with deep sand in a few places can be slightly intimidating.

I would start out real early in case of the heat and allow for plenty of time for a relaxed pace. You will probably have a wide variety of dual-sporting skills with your group. Try the trail until the group decides it is too challenging for some riders. You could also break up into 2-3 smaller groups based on rider dual-sport competence.

RB

Thanks, RB, really cool trail! Pretty long and without gas or water, so we'd need to plan to carry extra just in case... getting lost while low in gas is no fun! I like the idea of doing a section and not the full trial and back, but we'll see!

Thanks, RB, really cool trail! Pretty long and without gas or water, so we'd need to plan to carry extra just in case... getting lost while low in gas is no fun! I like the idea of doing a section and not the full trial and back, but we'll see!

I find that carrying 100 oz. or 3 liters of water in my CamelBak is sufficient for all day dual-sporting in most conditions. For maps, Moab has a large mountain biking population and the bicycle shops are well stocked with local maps of suggested trails. The Butler Maps version of Utah - Background Discovery Routes is another excellent resource. The Butler maps are water-proof and tear-proof. You can purchase a set from Mr2mch (Rod).

You'll have a blast! BTW, the women's record for riding the KT on a mountain bike is around 13 hours, which is pretty impressive.

RB

We stayed here last year. It was a good location for trail access and sidestepping the downtown hubbub. http://www.slickrockcampground.com/

They have cabins, camp sites,etc. You know, it's just an RV park but I'd stay there again...

I think you'll find the sites around Moab are way more than three days will begin to scratch. Too, Moab is kind of the center for geologic features that most folks go out there to enjoy. Heading off very far in any direction makes things turn back into semi-normal desert stuff pretty quick. Just my impression.

For road riders, the trip from Moab to Ouray is only a couple of hours. The rapid transition from Moab desert to the "Alps of Colorado" is pretty doggone cool. Dualsporters will have more good trails than they could ever put tracks on in three days. Just trips out to all the parks could fill that (back roads). Of course for the dirt crew...well, y'all already know what the place is. :thumb:

Wish I could make this one with y'all but my dance card is already full. You'll have a blast out there.

:tab Well, it is looking like we did not get a jump on getting a place to stay soon enough. Moab is FULL. We have found a cabin LaSal, about 25 miles away, but they want a 50% non refundable deposit on a $1600 fee for the whole week... We are totally committed to the ride, but past experience has shown that sometimes life just throws unexpected curve balls that can derail the best laid plans. So at this point, our group is reevaluating what we may do. Not sure if we will push to make this trip, postpone for a later date, or maybe just do something else altogether :shrug: We are not real enthusiastic about camping... Old bones and muscles really appreciate soft beds and hot showers ;-)

Wow.. i thought moab will ne half empty the week past the big Ester jeep safari. This is my only chance to go riding anytime soon so I'll have to stay optimistic and see maybe something becomes vacant in the last minute...

Have you guys thought about staying more South say in Monticello, and riding more Southern stuff?

Have you guys thought about staying more South say in Monticello, and riding more Southern stuff?

Haven't looked into it, but it might be a good idea to look at places other than Moab itself if push comes to shove.

As much as I enjoyed Cloudcroft in the past 2 years I've been to it, I would rather spend my time getting to know new places. and besides, I think it'll be too cold up there this time of the year.

I was thinking however, that if it does rain a lot and too many trails will be closed, we could look for backup plan for a week of riding. AZ? NV? Big band?. I don't mind driving a bit further, It is easier than getting another vacation time.

Either way, I'm still remaining optimistic. I'm going to start looking into lodging here soon, and even if there is absolutely nothing right now, I think there are good chances of someone cancelling closer to our trip, and then we can take their spot. If we had to arrange lodging for a group of twenty I would say it is a long shot, but if it's only 6, or 2 in case the Huntsville gang decides to take a rain check.

I guess Cloudcroft, NM might be a reasonable alternative.

RB

:tab Been there twice and have ridden just about everything it has to offer from single track to paved. It is fun, but we are looking to do something new.

:tab Yes. I am looking over maps and doing some Googling to see what else we might do. If we get into any elevation, we may have to just postpone until May/June to avoid snow issues.

:tab Northern New Mexico or Western New Mexico are both appealing.

Three Step Hideaway, dual sport heaven! About 50 miles southeast of Moab. Dingweeds and his wife Julie will take care of you. Check out there Webb site.

Back