• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston Forest request

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
I suppose this should be in the dirt riding section but figure everyone doesn't visit there. An important vote is coming up that affects our future use of the forest trails. If you're remotely interested in riding and camping there consider attending this. The peddle guys are coming hard for us, sorry just the way it is.
"
Eric Pullen‎ to TRH - Trail Riders of Houston
12 mins ·
IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE READ...

DO YOU WANT A CYCLIST AS YOUR MOTORIZED REPRESENTATIVE IN THE FOREST?

The Sam Houston Coalition is having a vote at 8:00am on May 5th which includes the Motorized Representative for the Sam Houston National Forest. I personally have nominated ED PONIKVAR to continue being our Motorized Rep. for another year. The other option is a cyclist with a vendetta, so if you want a cyclist representing you in the forest just stay home.

Ed Ponikvar has done a lot to improve and motivate to the point of being over bearing and annoying, but I feel that's what it takes. He is a strong voice for the Motorized community helping to guide us in the right direction in getting our forest back and on track with the rest of the nation.
Ed and a team of die-hard volunteers were a vital part in getting us the forest service equipment to work on the trail, and guiding local volunteers to be able to operate that equipment. Developing a way to accurately catalog our volunteer hours to help pay for grants and map the trail system damage to be repaired. Also he's been working with the AMA, local, state and federal government officials to figure out what needs to be done and rooting through the government B.S. to do so. He's done so much these last few years and I want to keep the ball rolling in the right direction.

PLEASE SHOW UP TO CAST YOUR VOTE!
EVERY VOTE IN THE ROOM COUNTS!
THE CYCLISTS ARE COMING WITH NUMBERS AND WE SHOULD TOO."

So, the Spandex Mafia wanna shut down the forest trails to motorized bikes?

Could be, it's more a case of why does a cyclist want to be the "motorized" rep? Makes you wonder about the agenda. FWIW, there is a rep from each discipline and an at large. I believe it's motorized, hiking, equestrian, cycling, and at large. So the cyclist already have a voice without taking ours. They can run for the at large post if they want 2 votes, lol.

Can we vote by proxy?

This.

I live 300 miles away. I've only been thru the SHNF a few times, but very much enjoyed the area & taking a few back roads & trails there. I know it's where a lot of the east Texas riders like to go, & 1 of the few places to ride off-road in Texas. From what I understand, in other places where there is multi-use forest trails (like in Colorado), the motorized users are the first to be banned, usually at the behest of bicyclist & equestrians.

It sure seems shady that the bicyclist would wanna speak for the motorized riders. Why aren't they happy representing their own interests? Why do the motorized guys have to even let the Spandex Mafia attend "their" meeting & vote?

If the Spandex wearing nancies were to win, & then prohibit motorized traffic of trails, I would be livid, especially if I was local & worked/rode the trails there often. I truly hope that isn't in the cards.

Can we vote by proxy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd also like to vote by proxy, if possible, because I won't be available that weekend to vote in person. Let us know woodsguy. Thanks!

I almost never ride the forrest but dont want to see it go away, I am going to do my best to be there for the meeting

Sounds like a great reason to ride . I will try to be there .

Please do your own research before voting.

The current cycling rep is a Motorized guy and Ed was removed from office by a vote of no confidence. SHTC need a new group of volunteers to step forward and carry it out of the mess it is currently in.

The current cycling rep is a Motorized guy and Ed was removed from office by a vote of no confidence. SHTC need a new group of volunteers to step forward and carry it out of the mess it is currently in.

It's my understanding that Steve Burke is a cyclist and rider. And Ed is the current motorized representative. I also understand Steve getting that position was questionable. I'm not into politics but have no use for a cyclist representing me. From what I've read from him and how cyclist act on the road, I'm not comfortable with that scenario.

I do agree, do your research and vote your conscience like in any election. This is kinda like Clinton/Trump, sometimes you wish you had different choices, lol!

I don't know how big of a mess it's in, I really don't. But I do know without the work the volunteers doing we probably wouldn't have any open trails. I haven't seen the forest service do anything lately, there is still forest service roads closed from Harvey.

JTM, are you in the coalition or ride the forest trails?

I don't know how big of a mess it's in, I really don't. But I do know without the work the volunteers doing we probably wouldn't have any open trails. I haven't seen the forest service do anything lately, there is still forest service roads closed from Harvey.

JTM, are you in the coalition or ride the forest trails?

I am still in the coalition, but as President of TMTC I don't get to spend as much time at SHNF as I would like. The last time I rode the forest was on ATVs to survey the damage after Harvey. The forest service has tied their own hands with staff reductions that make it nearly impossible to fire up any piece of equipment.

The down side to my outside job and lifestyle is that I thought of something better to say but couldn't do anything about it till this morning or last night.

I like Ed and could work with him very easily, but a lot of people can't and that is why he stepped down as president during a no confidence vote. It is really hard to suggest that people vote for someone else especially considering how hard it is to find volunteers and I now how much work and effort Ed has put in. We're having the same problem at TMTC trying to find new volunteers for our boards.

If anybody would like to be the next TMTC treasurer or vice president please contact me or reach out to our Secretary though the TMTC website.

Sending you a PM.

Last edited:
"Dudes, fyi. I have been advised that the SHTC is the only entity that has accurate forest conditions. PLZ visit the site for forest status!"

Above was copied from the ODODB site, but believe it is accurate. There was some confusion this week, recording said open while gate was locked. It appears that the coalition website will be the go to site for trail status, spread the word.

JTM or others please help me and others out a little bit more here to understand. I've been traveling frequently for the past 2 years so have become detached from the coalition. Work days and meetings always find me out of the area.

I have dealt with Ed some without issue and seen great progress when he was at the helm. But if he has already stepped down once why would we think it won't happen again? And if that happens then who fills in and who decides that? Since the other candidate is both a cyclist and a biker why do some think he will serve only the cyclist side? If we get an appointee fill in could be much worse.

If I have an informed decision and can make a difference I will be there to vote. But otherwise I already have 3 different plans for that weekend that would need to be cancelled.

_

Why not offer something at the vote? Ban of loud pipes? We already have forestry approved spark arrestors. Can we quiet our critics by quieting our rides? Do we need to pitch in more for OHV stickers for maintenance? Money talks.

The people who don't want bikes in the forest would sure take you up on banning loud pipes or anything else you want to sacrifice. But it won't appease them. They will just want more wich is NO motorcycles in on the trails.

Last edited:
You'll stay pretty busy correcting all my misspelled words. LMOA.

Back