• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Honda WR250R clone - the CRF 250L

R

Red Brown

Same basic spec's as a WR plus it also has fuel injection. It should be introduced into the US market later this year.

:clap:

RB

022912-2012-honda-crf250l-1.jpg

I will be getting one of these, mark my words.

Seat looks very low. So the bike probably will only have 6" suspension travel, sucky suspension. I think WR is over 10". Looks like this CRF is just another play bike, like its predecessor the CRF230L. Not going to be a WR clone. But at least the Honda will be lighter than the very heavy WR. But I wonder if the FI will add extra weight.

Seat looks very low. So the bike probably will only have 6" suspension travel, sucky suspension. I think WR is over 10". Looks like this CRF is just another play bike, like its predecessor the CRF230L. Not going to be a WR clone. But at least the Honda will be lighter than the very heavy WR. But I wonder if the FI will add extra weight.

Here is a link to the specs:
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/04/13/manufacturers/honda/2012-honda-crf250l-specs-released/

The seat height is 875mm or about 34.4"
Front travel 250mm or 9.8"
Rear travel 240mm ir 9.4"

It looks like a nice little bike. What's wrong with another choice?

My bad. Looks like it has much better suspension than previous CRF. But the weight though. 315 pounds. Getting close to BRP.

Boy... it is really close on the spec sheet. From the transmission to the small gas tank to the high factory gearing of the chain and sprockets it looks very close. I read where the valve train uses a rocker system like my old air cooled XR did. That was reliable as gravity itself for me.

I don't see myself dumping the WR that I have accessorized to fit my riding to get this Honda, but I look forward to seeing it in person and riding with folks that snag them.

Here is a link to the specs:
http://blog.motorcycle.com/2012/04/13/manufacturers/honda/2012-honda-crf250l-specs-released/

The seat height is 875mm or about 34.4"
Front travel 250mm or 9.8"
Rear travel 240mm ir 9.4"

While it's an improvement over the 230, it's still not that close to the WRR. The forks on the Honda are only 43 mm, the WRR's are 46 mm. The travel on the WRR is still almost a full inch more on the front and is an inch more on the back. Ground clearance favors the WRR by over an inch and the CRF weighs in at at around 20 lbs more then the WRR, which on small bikes like these is significant.

I'm sure shorter riders that aren't used to riding off road bikes would appreciate the lower CRF.

For the record my WRR weighed in at about 305 with an empty gas tank. Once you add two gallons of gas (12 pounds) you are right there with the new CRF which shows a wet weight of 315 pounds.

Interpret the specs as you wish, but comparing dry weight to wet weight can go either way and make either one seem lighter on paper than the other. On the road, or off a couple of pounds either way is not going to be felt when the bike weighs in around 300.

Yamaha claims 298 wet. Not surprised it weighs more. Of course Honda's claims are usually the worst at being understated. My '04 CRF450R had a claimed curb weight of 225 lbs but it was actually 240 with no gas. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Honda to come in at 335 real wet weight.

Honda CRF250L coming to US, priced at $4,499

At more than $2,000 cheaper than the Yamaha WR250R, the Honda CRF250L will be sold in the US as a 2013 model. The all-new bikes takes advantage of low-cost manufacturing at the same factory in Thailand that produces the CBR250R to combine high specification with a low price, creating an accessible, capable dual-sport.

Sign me up.

I have been planning to downsize my DR650 this summer anyhow.

Anyone in market for a bike only ridden to church on Sundays? It was tipped over in the driveway by the previous owner once...
IMG2969-M.jpg

My guess is Honda is going to kill the CRF230L when the 250 comes out. The 230 has one of the lowest seat height dualsport. The 250 is no longer low. There's less and less option for people with short legs. I wish they would offer a version with reduced suspension travel. Not everybody needs 12" of travel.

Sign me up.

Anyone in market for a bike only ridden to church on Sundays? It was tipped over in the driveway by the previous owner once...
IMG2969-M.jpg
Man, I like your driveway! Can I come and visit, ha!

At more than $2,000 cheaper than the Yamaha WR250R, the Honda CRF250L will be sold in the US as a 2013 model. The all-new bikes takes advantage of low-cost manufacturing at the same factory in Thailand that produces the CBR250R to combine high specification with a low price, creating an accessible, capable dual-sport.

dang, at that price i'll take two, one for me and one for the missus. bet they sell a ton.

Sign me up.

Actually, yes I am! What have you got there?

I was thinking "hey the last years model may be going for a song!" Wrong or unless your a pop artist. The cycletrader has them(230l) for the same asking price.:doh: I'm gonna need more tips.

I wouldn't worry about the 230 going away. After all, it and its XR200 predecessor outlived the XR250. Being such a different bike with a different target market increases the chance the 230 will go on. Yamaha shows that it works as their comparable offering to the 230 is the XT250 which compliments the WRR.

Back