• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Getting the RZ back on the road again.

Reaction score
First Name
Willum or Bill
Well, after about six months of on and off work, I have my RZ about where I want it.

I bought it new in 1984 and promptly tore it up in a lowside crash in '86. It's been parked in the garden shed for all these years.

I won't bore you with all the details of getting it back on the road. It was the usual work of rebuilding and cleaning the brake pistons/seals, cleaning the bong-like resin out of the carbs and replacing the junk CDI and PV controller with a Zeeltronics unit. Cleaned and lubed all the bearings and races everywhere, replaced the ones that needed it. Otherwise the engine and seals were in good shape.

I had to straighten the bent sub frame too. My brother and I used torches to heat it up where it was bent and used tire irons in the rear of the frame tubes to bend it straight. Low tech, to be sure, but it worked just fine.

Bent subframe. Tweaked to the right a bit.
bent_frame_1.jpg

Misc. crud and closeup of the subframe.
swingarm_1.jpg

25 years of dust and crud. Not too bad really... On the outside.
carbs_1.jpg

Various stages of repair and bodywork...
rearview-2.jpg

rear_1.jpg

rz-pipes-1.jpg

with_pipes_1.jpg

tach-1.jpg

White Primer.
white_primer_3.jpg

white_primer_2.jpg

Final paint and stripes.
tank_paint_1.jpg

rz_stripe_1.jpg

pj_1.jpg

pj_2.jpg

I'm pretty much done with it now. I didn't replace the OEM quarter fairing since the mount and headlight was bent or destroyed in the crash. The original instruments were trashed as well. I used a tach off an old Yamaha Dual Sport, and wired the neutral light that was built into the tach. Aftermarket headlight with a hole drilled for the blue high beam indicator bulb. Still looking for an OEM tail light lenses. FPP pipes. Aftermarket turn indicators. Clubman bars.

Sweet 2 smoke, Love them RZ's my cousin has one & it's a hoot to ride,gotta love the sound & light weight.. you done a nice job on the rebirth of a nice bike...Ride On...:rider:

Thanks for the link. I'm also an original owner, bought my '84 new from Steakley Bros. Yamaha(no longer in business) in Waco while going to school. It was heavily damaged a while back when a cow got into the barn and knocked it over into a hay lift then stomped on it. Trashed the tank, cracked most of the plastics and broke the right mirror stem off at the reservoir.:headbang: Man, I was devastated!!:tears: Ebay's been my friend and slowly but surely I'm getting it back in shape one step at a time.

Thanks for the link. I'm also an original owner, bought my '84 new from Steakley Bros. Yamaha(no longer in business) in Waco while going to school. It was heavily damaged a while back when a cow got into the barn and knocked it over into a hay lift then stomped on it. Trashed the tank, cracked most of the plastics and broke the right mirror stem off at the reservoir.:headbang: Man, I was devastated!!:tears: Ebay's been my friend and slowly but surely I'm getting it back in shape one step at a time.

For some reason the words "only in Texas" jumped into my head when I read that. I don't know why?

For some reason the words "only in Texas" jumped into my head when I read that. I don't know why?
:lol2:Well what can I say, that's exactly what happened!:mrgreen: I might add that tanks are very hard to win on ebay. They're getting rarer by the year. I finally won one but it cost me an arm and a leg. Here's a funny pic. Since the bike ran fine but had no usable tank I stuffed an old plastic lawnmower tank between the frame tubes, filled it with premix and I was gone.:rider: It even had one of those float gauges in the gas cap so I could just look down and see how much was in the tank. It looked totally stupid:haha: but it worked.:shrug:

020_20.jpg

:mrgreen:

Sorry for the hi-jack Thunderchild.

If your motorcycle has a lawnmower gas tank --

You might be a redneck! :lol2:

:lol2:Well what can I say, that's exactly what happened!:mrgreen: I might add that tanks are very hard to win on ebay. They're getting rarer by the year. I finally won one but it cost me an arm and a leg. Here's a funny pic. Since the bike ran fine but had no usable tank I stuffed an old plastic lawnmower tank between the frame tubes, filled it with premix and I was gone.:rider: It even had one of those float gauges in the gas cap so I could just look down and see how much was in the tank. It looked totally stupid:haha: but it worked.:shrug:

020_20.jpg

[cool pic]

lol! I love it! :thumb:

You're right about the tanks. My dents were shallow enough where I could get away with bondo and body filler. The inside of the tank was a different story. LOTS of rust flakes and debris. I'm lucky that the seams were in good shape with no leaks.

lol! I love it! :thumb:

You're right about the tanks. My dents were shallow enough where I could get away with bondo and body filler. The inside of the tank was a different story. LOTS of rust flakes and debris. I'm lucky that the seams were in good shape with no leaks.
Unfortunately my original tank was too far gone. Did you Kreem your tank? I'm thinking about doing my new tank.
How do you like the Avons? I have a set but I'm waiting to install them until I can clean up the wheels.

Unfortunately my original tank was too far gone. Did you Kreem your tank? I'm thinking about doing my new tank.
How do you like the Avons? I have a set but I'm waiting to install them until I can clean up the wheels.

Nooooo. Do not Kreme your tank!

It causes problems down the road.

POR 15, maybe, but the restorificator I was talking to a few weeks ago says to use aviation tank sealer.

I can get more details, if you want.

Lee
("Restorification" -- restoration with improvements!)

I love the paint job.

And Rman, the lawnmower tank may have looked stupid, but it ought to win you a Git-R-Done award. It would be even better if you strapped it on with duct tape.

I've heard bad stories with using Kreem too. I used a bathroom cleaner that was something like CLR, I can't remember the brand, but I bought it at Wal-Mart. I'll try to get the name.

It would flash rust really quick so I poured WD40 in the tank and shook it around too.

Final steps were to add gas and drain it back out through some cheese cloth to get any remaining bits. I'd use the gas over until it drained clean. Cleaned the petcock and installed an inline fuel filter that I could see into.

The Avons work will. I'm not real aggressive on the street, so I can't vouch for how well they'll work for hardcore riding. But they've never slipped or scared me yet.

Good luck with yours!

Thanks, RedPill! All done with rattle cans and lots and lots of wet sanding and polishing.

I've heard bad stories with using Kreem too. I used a bathroom cleaner that was something like CLR, I can't remember the brand, but I bought it at Wal-Mart. I'll try to get the name.

It would flash rust really quick so I poured WD40 in the tank and shook it around too.

Final steps were to add gas and drain it back out through some cheese cloth to get any remaining bits. I'd use the gas over until it drained clean. Cleaned the petcock and installed an inline fuel filter that I could see into.

The Avons work will. I'm not real aggressive on the street, so I can't vouch for how well they'll work for hardcore riding. But they've never slipped or scared me yet.

Good luck with yours!
What are the problems with Kreem? I'm not doubting anyone's opinion but it would seem better than nothing. I've only heard the positive 'sales pitch's' at the local dealerships though.

Is it just me or does the directional arrow on the front Avon contradict the tread pattern? I see in your pics that you installed it per the arrow. I noticed it when I got the tires in the mail and it's been driving me nuts!!!!!!:huh2: Wouldn't the mfg's recommended rotation actually be forcing water UNDER the tire???:confused::shrug: The rear looks correct to me.

Two major issues with Kreme:

1. It will tend to delaminate after a while and is then very hard to remove to do again;
2. If you put it in the tank you will never be able to weld that tank.

The restorer I was talking to at the Little Nippy Ride has a product he uses which is from the aviation world. It coats the inside and eliminates rusting but, but without the thick layer Kreme puts on (and with no delamination).

If I can find his card, I'll call and check on it. It is "aviation slosh treatment" from what I remember. I think it is like this stuff:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ps890.php

But I think he gets a better price.

Lee

What are the problems with Kreem? I'm not doubting anyone's opinion but it would seem better than nothing. I've only heard the positive 'sales pitch's' at the local dealerships though.

Is it just me or does the directional arrow on the front Avon contradict the tread pattern? I see in your pics that you installed it per the arrow. I noticed it when I got the tires in the mail and it's been driving me nuts!!!!!!:huh2: Wouldn't the mfg's recommended rotation actually be forcing water UNDER the tire???:confused::shrug: The rear looks correct to me.

The restorer I was talking to at the Little Nippy Ride has a product he uses which is from the aviation world. It coats the inside and eliminates rusting but, but without the thick layer Kreme puts on (and with no delamination).

If I can find his card, I'll call and check on it. It is "aviation slosh treatment" from what I remember. I think it is like this stuff:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/ps890.php

But I think he gets a better price.

Lee
I used to be in aviation and that looks similar to what we called 3802(Mil Spec 3802). Stank to high heaven and made RTV look like candy. It came in 2 different grades.. A and B. A was thin and pourable (if you want to call it that), B was thick and we applied it with tongue depressors. You mixed it by weight with a balance scale 10 parts to 1. If you got it on your skin the only thing that would take it off was methyl ethyl ketone(MEK)!:eek2::lol2:
I can hardly imagine the product in you're link being used in a motorcycle tank, there's just no way to "slosh" it. If you can find that guy's # I'd sure like to talk to him.
R

Back