• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Weekly Joe Fink Memorial BBQ lunch

6bde2b9006780a738fe37bacd59d0ccb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm out for the next few weeks. In Florida watching the Astros.

There is also a Mallet Bros BBQ in Iola. There are lots of fun dirt roads in the area ;-)

I'm out for the next few weeks. In Florida watching the Astros.

Picked up the GT today, and noticed your's awaiting service. Have fun watching the Astros, see you in a few weeks.

There is also a Mallet Bros BBQ in Iola. There are lots of fun dirt roads in the area ;-)

Navasota's not too far for lunch...

Picked up the GT today, and noticed your's awaiting service. Have fun watching the Astros, see you in a few weeks.

Yep, they say the piston contacted the spark plugs, what do you think? KTM has approved tearing it down to inspect. Hopefully, they will get to it while I am gone and have it ready when I get back.

Looks like I will be leaving in rain tomorrow morning, so I can't say it will be an enjoyable ride to Orlando on the Wing, but at least I will be riding. You guys enjoy Friday rides and lunches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, they say the piston contacted the spark plugs, what do you think? KTM has approved tearing it down to inspect. Hopefully, they will get to it while I am gone and have it ready when I get back.

Looks like I will be leaving in rain tomorrow morning, so I can't say it will be an enjoyable ride to Orlando on the Wing, but at least I will be riding. You guys enjoy Friday rides and lunches.

Wow, didn't know you had this serious of a problem!

Last edited by a moderator:

Roger,wasyours in the shop? Something wrong?

Wow, didn't know you had this serious of a problem!

I will have to wait to see just how serious it is. After looking at the plugs though, I suspect something other than contact by the piston. That is so catastrophic; I have only heard of it if the wrong plugs were installed, the rod bearing come loose or the heads have been milled so tight that there is no clearance. It looks to me like the tang just dropped off the spark plug, causing poor combustion and build up on the other plug. But, I don't want to add my diagnosis to their discovery process. I will just wait and see.

Roger,wasyours in the shop? Something wrong?

It lost it's umph at WOT so they replaced the fuel filter, which seems to have done the trick. They also fixed a recall from Brembo.

It lost it's umph at WOT so they replaced the fuel filter, which seems to have done the trick. They also fixed a recall from Brembo.

You've had that bike WOT? Wow! I couldn't imagine all its 173hp in any gear. You are either very brave or crazy or both. LOL

_

You've had that bike WOT? Wow! I couldn't imagine all its 173hp in any gear. You are either very brave or crazy or both. LOL

Yeah, it's kinda like drinking from a fire hose, but sometimes you just gotta wet your whistle...

More pictures from the darkside! No idea how this happened yet, but mechanic (Dan) is convinced it occurred due to pre-ignition.

Cylinder Wall Scouring:
jE_VQVhTaDnD1AzalteQhS9RnPF16j_dtWlmV9KwjS4IlCwX-ouSsk6aYQNJe2xOlaye9eKy4YXhOpqKL_=w1148-h647-no.jpg

More scouring on cylinder wall, opposite the scouring above:
7GHy51l65sJYb236-47DPWpzw6eY_Wl-Vt95iTLieQy7VTryYpMPygWtLmTiM-ypeDUGMTbme5vgK7B1rCc=w365-h647-no.jpg

Broken ring lands, scraper ring was also broken:
6RfmEOk1hEZzhJ4zDldT4c-P5Jvx6rEhsTY2803kGZ-iazlwEzzPTGMVABJJ5Q4R3HUDFkPL4-bvd05-wR=w1148-h647-no.jpg

Small indentation on Cylinder Head (right center):
b8BvjZRau_zCnggSdJd6eDH3N_qm8I9iFfYFZ9aEusyMACvRbDnIdNZcS5lpqoxlghlYwEOAjroFzKr8TZ=w1148-h647-no.jpg

They have not contacted KTM yet, so no news on what happens next.

Last edited:
That's sad, hope KTM takes care of you. Being a non-mechanic, I have to ask, is this fixable or is motor toast?

That's sad, hope KTM takes care of you. Being a non-mechanic, I have to ask, is this fixable or is motor toast?

At the very least a top end rebuild. Piston will need to be replaced, cylinder probably as well. The head can be repaired, but at the very least, the little indentation needs to be smoothed out so as to not cause pre-ignition. I checked the rod bearing and it seemed pretty tight, though without checking it may be out of tolerance, they will need to inspect that along with the crank.

Mike, the service manager, indicated they were going to push for an entire crate engine. That's what I would like to see. There is no telling what caused this. The mechanic was fearful that may be the ECU is to blame for the pre-ignition. If that's the case, may be even a crate engine is not enough?

Yes, it is sad, but I am fortunate enough to have other bikes I enjoy. Also, I will be gone beginning tomorrow for 10 to 12 days so perhaps this can all get sorted out by the time I return. I'm not to upset ... yet! :-)

I have some new potential locations for you to try out...

Blue Moon BBQ
It is on OSR West of I-45 near 1940 and Tabor Rd.

Google map location

The other is not far from there, Edge General Store

Google map location

My buddy that lives nearby says both are good.

I would love to have joined you, but I have already missed 2-1/2 days of work this week doing storm clean up. On the plus side, the weather has been SUPERB for doing outdoor labor :bow:

I might try to make the dual sport ride this Saturday,

3/24 New Waverly Dual Sport Ride
http://twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116919

I have some new potential locations for you to try out...

Blue Moon BBQ
It is on OSR West of I-45 near 1940 and Tabor Rd.

Google map location

The other is not far from there, Edge General Store

Google map location

My buddy that lives nearby says both are good.

Anyone up for the Edge store today? Roger? Weather is supposed to be puuurrrrfrect! Haven't seen Joe, Jeff, Doug or Glenn in a while? More evidence that the earth is flat, they must have been to the Edge and jumped! ... it's too early for that, I know ...

Last edited:
Back