• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3/24 New Waverly Dual Sport Ride

Reaction score
***IMPORTANT UPDATE***
Waverly House is closed, so there will be no breakfast and we will meet at the SHNF HQ down the road from New Waverly.

The forecast is looking good, so it's time for another ride. There hasn't been a lot of rain, so there should be no mudfest this time. Sand is a likely event though.

Meetup at SHNF HQ on FM1375 near New Waverly at 0830, ride will leave at 0900. Please fill your gas tanks as the first gas stop will be in Riverside. The route is ~170 miles if we run the whole thing. If we get short on time in the afternoon (not likely with the time change) I can trim it back to more like 150. Lunch will be at a tex mex place in Groveton.

GPX available here:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nf5bsi0nmae1lz9/AACgUNZGW4yh8_U6jdeEN5pha?dl=0
It's the "Woodsguy Groveton" one.

In:

1) William Wolfen
2) Old Dude on a Dirt Bike
3) Tourmeister
4) Old Dude on a Dirt Bike #2
5) _RG_
6)

Maybe:

1) Old Dude on a Dirt Bike #3
2)
3)
4)
5)

Last edited:
Dang, I really want to make this ride again since it was my first ever and I’d like to see how much I’ve improved, but my son’s birthday party is the same day....You’ll have to count me out....

Heads up unless something has changed in last 2 days, New Waverly house is closed. Might try 3-4 miles south at "The Fish Pond", very good food right on 75.

Heads up unless something has changed in last 2 days, New Waverly house is closed. Might try 3-4 miles south at "The Fish Pond", very good food right on 75.
Seriously? Permanent or temporarily? What a loss.

Edit: Google reports permanently. Very sad. Post updated with new meetup location.

Last edited:

I can't make it either, but a +1 for the Fish Pond.

Is this the same route we did before when I had Daniel with my on the GS and we had all that fun sand out past Lovelady/Pennington?

No. Totally different route. Doesn't go or that far. Plenty of sand up around Groveton though.

You gonna come out?

:tab I might. We've been doing storm damage clean up all week and I could use a good ride, but I am SORE from running the chainsaw all week and lifting big tree trunk sections. Also, my rear TKC 80 is about toast on the GS and the KTM is not jetted for sea level (been sitting since trip to Montana last July) and has a broken spoke on the rear wheel. Still though... I need a good ride...

:tab Okay, I looked at the GPX, not sure why I didn't see that in your original post :doh: Most of that is not too bad sand wise. I probably won't meet you at the start point, but will meet you closer up near Huntsville. I will try to let you know for sure Friday evening so you don't sit waiting on me to no show ;-)

And... I'm out :doh:

Totally forgot I have an all day extended family function thing Saturday.

Have fun and be careful.

And... I'm back!

I am ALL screwed up on dates after missing work most of the week because of the storm stuff. It turns out the family thing is next weekend, so I am free for tomorrow!

I will try to be at the intersection of 2929 and 2296 SE of Huntsville by 9:15ish. I'll be on the GS, but riding solo this time.

And... I'm back!

I am ALL screwed up on dates after missing work most of the week because of the storm stuff. It turns out the family thing is next weekend, so I am free for tomorrow!

I will try to be at the intersection of 2929 and 2296 SE of Huntsville by 9:15ish. I'll be on the GS, but riding solo this time.
Sounds good. I'll run that leg of the route first to pick you up. Glad you can make it!

I’m out. Prior commitment. Wish I could go with yiu folks. +1 on Fish House fir breakfast. Ride safely.

Daughters 29th birthday. Can’t get off the hook. Thanks for putting these rides together hope to catch the next one.

And... I'm back!

IN - see y'all at the forest service place.
Guys, I've got to cancel our at least postpone until Sunday. My dog got sick and I've got to take him to the vet. It's quite a story I'll tell if I can. Sorry!

Just as well for me.

I thought I was going to be free tomorrow, but my garage is going to get gutted tomorrow and I have to get all my stuff out of it and moved into Pod Storage. All the sheet rock and insulation will be removed in preparation for removal of the entire roof so they can rebuild it. So.... I am out again :doh:

I hope all got the word on this or someone has the GPS files. Plus the traffic in New Waverly will be a mess when they close I-45 at sometime Saturday!!

Let us know when you reschedule.

I have been wanting to try out a new 4 gallon tank for my bike. I attempted to try it on your last ride. In my rush to get ready, I did not clean out the left over mfr debris from inside the tank. It plugged the filter on the gas cock and I ended up walking home instead of riding that day.

Back