• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

D40 drives what?

M38A1

Admin
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
The brother-in-law has my old Nikon D40 and asked if I could bring up some lens selections for him to play with over the t-giving holly. That body does NOT have an internal focus motor, but IIRC, ALL the AF-S and G lenses do. So I'm thinking my 24-70 and 70-200 as well as my 105macro might work on his D40.

Anybody know for sure?

If I read Rockwells chart correctly, I think they might work...
http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

You are correct. All the AF-S and G lenses should work just fine on that body.

Thx.

What would be a decent upgrade in bang for the buck? D7000?

A D4
:duck:
For sure a 7000 would be the best option in terms of bang for the buck if driving the older glass is an issue. If that and TTL isn't really that big of a deal than the 3000 or 5000 series can still produce some amazing images and still have some really good features.

Thx.

I went from D40 to my D7000 and love it. Of course, right after I bought my D7000, they announced the D7100, which I think has the next gen sensor. Just because I am a geek, I might have gone for the 7100, but if you can find a good deal on a 7000, that might be a better option.

My wife broke her ankle a few weeks ago and has been marooned on the couch. So, I set her up with my old D40 and the 55-200 AF-S that came with it. I setup a bird feeder outside the window. I set it to A priority at 3.5f and just told her to point and shoot.

Common sightings around bird feeders in the Carolina Piedmont.

1-DSC_0062.png

1-DSC_0001.png

Last edited:
Unique to the D40 class of Nikons, is that they can mount and use the non-ai Nikkors. In manual exposure mode and manual focus only.

I started buying and using Nikkor ai/ais in manual mode on my D40 and enjoyed the lenses so much I bought a D7000 so they will work in Aperture priority. I don't own a non-ai but have mounted them on the D40 with no problems.

Nikkor legacy lenses open up a huge range of possibilities to put together a system.

Thx.

I just bought a D3100, and I really like it. (It's my first DSLR. Previous cameras have been 35mm film SLRs, medium format film, and a few digital P&S cameras.)

The D3100 or D3200 both look like a good, affordable, upgrade from the D40.

Back