• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

battery voltages

I disconnected hyper lights pulled garmin from cradle disconnected iPhone from usb and after 6 days battery was still dead.I will find out where radio plugs in and try it next

maybe the regulator/rectifier assembly is the culprit? It plugs into the wiring harness on my Bandit. Yours may be the same. If so, you can unplug and let bike sit for a week and then check battery voltage to see if its the culprit. RECONNECT the regulator/rectifier before starting bike. good luck!

Just re-read this whole thread. So far, I understand this is the original battery that the dealer tossed in it just when you got it.
I have a 2011 r1200rt I purchased 3-5-16 at dealers ship had to put a new battery in it before I picked it up. It is a West Coast battery I Believe when I tried to start it yesterday morning it just made a ticking sound. I took it to a battery store they said it was drained but still good. I charged it with a 1.5 amp smart charger it took around 18 hours to show charged these sre my voltsge readings. Disconnected 13.17 v connected key off 13.11v key on garmin gps on12.45v start sw on 10.5-10.6v engine running 14.05v .Thanks for any opinions Jack
So, just as a basic test - only because I can't see where/if it was done - did you try removing the battery from the bike, putting it on a bench and charging it? Test after charging, note voltage, test again once a day, and after week see what it shows?

All this chasing around for a draw, when in fact the battery itself might be bad?

I did purchase a new battery and had same results with both battery's I did a load test after being fully charged and they both were in the good range .They are both maintenance free so I can not check individual cells. Thanks for input

At day four it will crank day 5 barley 6 just clicks.Something else when I get back from a ride 2 hour ride it takes a couple of hours for battery tender to indicate fully charged

I had a friend sugest since my bike has esa and now has ohlins which does not have esa could that be causing a drain?

I suspect your electrical system control computer is not going to sleep after key is turned off.
I would disconnect battery ground and wait five days then hook it up and see how the bike starts.

Wouldn't disconnecting the negative which opens the circuit eliminate any possible drain on the battery except for the battery itself. It is disconnected now

Yes we are making sure that new battery is not defective. Sort of a reset back to step one.

Done a lot of reading and it boils down to several things.
If you turn on key and back off without starting the engine, the canbuss ecu stays powered waiting for start. There was a software update to fix this.

A phone charger or GPS power supply not connected to a device draws a very small current that somehow triggers the can buss ecu to stay active.

Water intrusion into fuel pump control module causes draw.

Water intrusion into lighting relay causes path for discharge but not enough to light up the lights.

Bad can buss ecu, not shutting down, the can buss ecu draws 200ma when awake and that draws down a battery in 4-5 days.
When ignition is turned off it should drop to around 30ma then taper down to 4-5ma.

Good info thanks I plan on taking back to woods fun center 25th of this month. I have to go close to Austin on that date.

Done a lot of reading and it boils down to several things.
If you turn on key and back off without starting the engine, the canbuss ecu stays powered waiting for start. There was a software update to fix this.

A phone charger or GPS power supply not connected to a device draws a very small current that somehow triggers the can buss ecu to stay active.

Water intrusion into fuel pump control module causes draw.

Water intrusion into lighting relay causes path for discharge but not enough to light up the lights.

Bad can buss ecu, not shutting down, the can buss ecu draws 200ma when awake and that draws down a battery in 4-5 days.
When ignition is turned off it should drop to around 30ma then taper down to 4-5ma.

The google foo is strong with this one

This is a voice text so pardon any errors when I purchased the new battery the old battery I mediately recharged and left on my bench when the new battery discharged I'll put the other battery back in the box after about six days a setting on the bench and it seemed to work fine Each time I charged the battery I did a load test on it after it was charged and they always show to be good

Woods in Austin had it for 3 days battery draw is normal firmware is current battery tested good . They could not find a problem 14.3 v running recommended using a tender. So the end Thanks again all Jack

They blamed it partly on it being a generic battery instead of a Bmw battery . That was the battery they installed when it did not crank when I purchased the bike. I saw that on the work order several days after I picked it up again. I had to keep my 2009 lt on a trickle charger. I will do the same for my 2011 rt

it baffles me that you have a brand of motorcycles that is prone to a important issue and they all blow it off and throw a band aid at it.
there should be a large group law suit going on. surely some lawyer someplace owns a BMW motorcycle?

google it, there are a bunch of BMW's of all different models with this problem.

Back