• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

TAT tips

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
I copied the following from a Facebook post but seems like good info. Obviously feel free to add or discuss.

My brother and I just finished the TAT on the 10th. Thought I would share a few insights. We were on Kevin's map. I am from CO and my brother is from FL. I am 57 and he is 51. DRZ400 and KLR. We are average to above average riders in decent shape. I raced enduros when I was younger with little to no tarmac time until. My brother has more balanced experience between road and dirt. We took 31 days to do NC to OR. We did mostly motels.
1) Kevin's map is fairly reliable if riding the Blue. Green and Red seemed less reliable at least to us. We stayed mostly with the blue and green. Several of the red trails were closed or abandoned. Use google earth to research the red and green and definitely read the ride segment comments before going. When in doubt stay on the Blue.
2) We tried to keep a long-haul perspective vs. taking risks on individual segments. In other-words we never let testosterone leads us into sketchy areas or going faster than we should. Going 5000 miles and finishing uninjured was more important than proving our manhood day to day.
3) Clogged Air filters becomes a huge issue once you get into OK. Be prepared to clean every other day especially out west. Foam is better/easier than K&N from our experience.
4) Oregon is HOT. Eastern Oregon is essentially Nevada.
5) Weight on the bikes was a problem when we got to OK and beyond. Before that it was pretty manageable. If you are buying a bike for this ride and mostly doing motels or have a support vehicle go with a smaller bike.
6) The TAT Shak would have been great except that we go chewed on by spiders or some other bug inside the Shak. We had bites for a couple week after. Maybe camp outside in a tent.
7) To avoid the heat it is probably best to do the TAT in 3 segments. Colorado in the summer and every other part in the Fall.
8) Tires. We had 2 tire stops, OK (Ponca City) and Moab (MadBros). TKC 80s and Dunlap 606. The 606 lasted just as long as the TKCs and hooked up better in the dirt. No flats or problems other than wear. Never messed with air pressure. 20 front 25 back for DRZ. At both changes the tires had more wear. Could have good farther.
9) We camped twice. Too hot to be enjoyable except at high altitude. Geyser Pass is a great camping location east of Moab.
10) We bailed to tarmac when we got behind schedule so probably missed 15-20% of dirt options. Better to get to the motel before dark and live to fight another day.
11) We had a battery problem with the KLR. Battery ran out of water. Make sure it's new or filled. Carry some distilled water.
12) Chain lube and extra engine oil is hard to find on the trail. Carry some oil for topping off not for changes.
13) Cloths. I brought hiking underwear and very light smartwool base layers tops. No bottoms. Got them both at REI. Don't need bike pants. Too hot. Ventilator jacket and a polar fleece pullover. Brother brought mx armor but never used it. Bring stuff that drys quickly. No jeans or cotton sweatshirts. MX socks are also very important if using MX boots.
14) Buy medium sized panniers or bags for the bike. Don't buy the large size. Force yourself to take less.
15) GPS - We used a Garmin Nuvi with Kevin's memory card in a waterproof case and it worked great. We also had a Delorme InReach and the GPXVIEWER app on Android phones and one GPSMAP78. No pater maps. All worked great. Best to have multiple solutions.
16) Alone vs. groups. We were two and then 4 in Colorado. There were arguments about navigation decisions and pushing hard vs. slowing down and smelling the roses. In general though, better in groups. More fun, safer and logistically easier. Pick you participants carefully based on how flexible they are. Also, if someone is trying to do the ride on the cheap that could lead to problems. Discuss this stuff before leaving.
17) SENA - We used Sena 20s for communication. Awesome product. Not sure how a group would function without them.
18) Offs - I became the master of the zero speed drop. Sand, Tarmac and Mud. The DRZ is borderline too tall so it gets tricky when you lose momentum. My brother had a 20MPH off on a gravel road turn. Ripped his jacket and got a few minor bruises. Be prepared to go down a few times especially in the sandy stuff and loose gravel and mud stuff.
19) Steering stabilizer. I had one on the DRZ. I think it saved me a few times on the high speed dirt roads. I would serious consider adding one for safety.
20) Mud - Somehow missed all the mud. No problems.
21) Bunkhouse in OK - Must do. We loved it. Good tire change location if willing to do yourself. Have the tires shipped there.
22) Jetting. Being from CO my bike we jetted for high altitude and my brother for low. Both bikes ran better at low altitude. Most power loss came from clogged filters and not jetting. We did run some seafoam through the tanks midway on the trip.
23) Water and energy bonk. Make sure you and or your team is drinking water and eating power bars when stopped. I felt like I bonked in UT and Nevada a couple times. Once you energy bonk or become dehydrated the day is ruined. Stay ahead of it.
24) Gas and Motels. Get gas before you need it. We both have over sized tanks so not an issue. I would think a 4-5 gallon tank would be the minimum. Make arrangements for your motel same day over lunch. Don't book days before. We had to eat the cost of a motel room because we were early.
25) Time and distance. We were able to average close to 200 miles a day on the east side of the TAT and 150 in the West. We took 4 rest days. 30 MPH average OVERALL speed is good for the TAT. 40 is a good average MOVING speed. We were 3 to 1 ride vs. rest time. Plan on being a little slower in the West so budget days accordingly.
26) Slabbing it through boring and HOT stuff. Even though OK had its high points, (Bunkhouse) I would plan on getting off the TAT there and slabbing until you get to CO. You could do a 400 mile day on there and have more time to linger elsewhere. Maybe from Battle Mountain, NV as well to well into Oregon.
27) Shipping and Bike Transport. I shipped my bike (via Federal) to FL, where my brother is. From there we took a Uhual box truck to NC. From Oregon we had a Budget Box truck. Four tie downs, one for each corner of the bike seem to do the trick plus securing the front tire. Also had blocks for the front wheels to keep the suspension from compressing.
28) Cell Connection. We had ATT and Verizon. ATT was slightly better than Verizon. Both were better than we thought they would be. When we stopped at a real lunch place we usually had a connection.
LikeShow more reactionsComment

As I said I didn't write this but seems like good info.

Good stuff. Thanks Rob.

The guy hit on a couple of things that rang a bell. Here are some notes that I made recently:

Hauling less stuff is good. When we first started the BDR ride I was wondering if I needed the 80 liter bags instead of the 40's. By the end of the ride I was wondering if they had something smaller than the 40 liter model. Motel trips just don't require that much stuff. Pretty sure I can do a camping ride with the 40's without ever looking back.

They used the Sena comms. I can't over stress the practical value in some kind of communication. My hard headed riding partner refused to carry any. It cost us time and frustration numerous times. Just think about the many times during a one day ride when comm is handy. It's down-right essential on a long ride thru unknown territory.

I had the goofy notion that since we were riding way up north heat wasn't going to be a problem. As this fellow points out - it is. Middle of Idaho gets just as hot as Nacogdoches. Low humidity up there drops temps at night pretty quick but thermal stuff was wasted baggage. A long sleeved T was all I ever needed.

We found that washers and dryers seem to be readily available to motorcyclist at motels. More than two sets of stuff was wasted baggage. Wear one - wash the other.

My next big wandering adventure: Camping with motel thrown in every 4-5 nights. Carry my own vitals. Restaurant food gets pretty nasty pretty quick. Take twice as many pictures and stop to do so every time something looks interesting. If partner doesn't have comm then let him ride on and take his chances.

I understand camping isn't considered fun by everyone. But, these off-road tracks (like the BDR in remote areas) make scheduling your arrival at the next motel a gambol at best. You're either there too early or you get hung up on the trail and don't make it as far as expected. Camping gives you the freedom to ride what you need to ride and then stop where ever you like.

I've heard horror stories about folks getting together, just because their schedules worked, who've never ridden with each other before. Problem is a few days later when somebody discovers they've signed on for a babysitting and hand holding job.

And then there is the "third day syndrome." For whatever reason, some folks start off on a month long trip and get really homesick after about 3-4 days. I've heard about folks bailing and heading home leaving the other dude by himself. Good reasons to have several folks or at least some honest discussions before leaving.

$0.02

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight. My son wanted to do the CDR for high school graduation in two years. We are now leaning toward stringing together a few of the BDR rides instead. In either case this is all good info to consider.

Thanks for the insight. My son wanted to do the CDR for high school graduation in two years. We are now leaning toward stringing together a few of the BDR rides instead. In either case this is all good info to consider.

You should not miss the chance to ride the CDR with your son. It is amazing, I enjoy the BDR's and there are quite a few to choose from, but the CDR is just outstanding, the scenery through Montana, Idaho, Wyoming & Colorado is spectacular and the wildlife (moose's, bears, etc). I ahve ridden the TAT twice and the CDR once, but the CDR stole my heart, the TAT gives bragging rights, but the CDR is just very special. Sure you will enjoy the BDR's, but don't miss the CDR if you get the chance (at least all the states from Colorado and upwards)..

Gary

(at least all the states from Colorado and upwards)...:ponder: That sounds like another great ride. Who's done it?

You should not miss the chance to ride the CDR with your son. It is amazing, I enjoy the BDR's and there are quite a few to choose from, but the CDR is just outstanding, the scenery through Montana, Idaho, Wyoming & Colorado is spectacular and the wildlife (moose's, bears, etc). I ahve ridden the TAT twice and the CDR once, but the CDR stole my heart, the TAT gives bragging rights, but the CDR is just very special. Sure you will enjoy the BDR's, but don't miss the CDR if you get the chance (at least all the states from Colorado and upwards)..

Gary

Thanks for the recommendation. Did you do a ride report by chance?

I'm afraid I am computer illiterate and lazy so I never did a ride report!! But I might still have the GPX files that I can share if you want to see the route we rode.

Gary

Thanks a GPX file would be great if you have it. I'm in the info gathering stages. I'll pm you an email.

Gary

Is the CDR the same routes as the CDT or gpsKevin's GCDR?

I am not familiar with the CDT, there is a bicycle CDR which goes through many state parks, but as motorcycles are not allowed to ride off road in state parks, there is a motorcycle CDR that shares some of the bicycle route and avoids the state parks. I would have to look at the CDT that you mention to see if it is the same route or not.

Gary

Can someone decode these acronyms for me?

CDR
BDR
CDT
GCDT?

You guys are speaking some other language.

Awesome, thanks!

No matter how much I twisted my Flash Gordon decoder ring I couldn't decipher the message!

Did the TAT solo last year. Started on Labor Day weekend thru October. A little warm east of Arkansas but perfect west. Good advice from Woodsguy. I disagree with skipping Oklahoma unless it is/has rained. Slippiest mud I have ever had the displeasure of riding. I shipped 26 pounds back around midway..every pound lost is five pounds of enjoyment. Pay attention to the air filter comment. I changed mine three times, and should have changed four. Fuel is hard to find in eastern Oregon. Plan accordingly. I camped in campgrounds 19 nights and always found food easy to locate. Only dug into my emergency food twice. My bike build can be found on www.ramtouring.com. It appears to be a business web site but it is not...i am not going into the touring business. Have a great time.

This ride report by KenCM on ADV rider is well worth the time it takes to read: 2016 TAT, Solo, Ocean to Ocean, Plan vs Actual, Lessons Learned

In 2016 Ken rode the TAT, solo, on very over-packed KTM 450 in 22 days (20 riding days, 2 days off for mechanical stuff). He learned lots of good stuff that he shares in his ride report.

He attempted the TAT again in 2017 on a different bike and with a riding partner. His goal was to complete the entire route in 12 days - 2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days, Planning Thread

Did he make it? This is his incredible ride report for the 2017 ride - 2017 TAT, Ocean to Ocean in 12 days

I have not ridden the TAT but found Ken's planning and reports to be top-notch.

Back