• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sad, witnessed a last ride.

gixxerjasen

Wow
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Drove to the nearby park and dropped my wife and kid off so my kid could go to Soccer practice while I ran to the store. As I pulled out of the park a guy on an orange sport bike was leaving just ahead of me. At the light I turned right and he turned left. A few minutes later I heard sirens. Bummed and sad, kinda glad I didn't see it though I'd have liked to have helped but it appears no help was to be had. Stay vigilant folks.

https://www.inforney.com/local-news...cle_8a8d6f8c-2d5c-11e8-b084-67fbd5776590.html

Drove to the nearby park and dropped my wife and kid off so my kid could go to Soccer practice while I ran to the store. As I pulled out of the park a guy on an orange sport bike was leaving just ahead of me. At the light I turned right and he turned left. A few minutes later I heard sirens. Bummed and sad, kinda glad I didn't see it though I'd have liked to have helped but it appears no help was to be had. Stay vigilant folks.

https://www.inforney.com/local-news...cle_8a8d6f8c-2d5c-11e8-b084-67fbd5776590.html
Very sad! Praying for all involved!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear. Know the feeling. I have witnessed two rider deaths.

blessings to all involved.

I'd wager that the female driver of the van was texting/fooling with the phone, not paying attention. She should strung up on the nearest light pole & left as an example.

Very sad, this may stick with you for a long time. I suggest you go for a ride in his honor soon...

Yes, it is very sad.. I have lost a few friends,as well. They were excellent seasoned riders but had lost, what I call, a healthy fear of other vehicles.. I trust, NO 4 wheel death trap... God bless his family..

My father told me once, "the graveyard is full of bikers that had the right of way"... This is still true and profound today as the first time I heard it..

Mikie86

Someone should start a thread of the souls we have lost, in memorium and A reminder to us, to gear up and drive safely..

Mikie86

Very sad, this may stick with you for a long time.

Just to be clear, I only witnessed his last ride, not the actual crash. As we had gone separate directions it occurred about a quarter mile behind me probably at the time, and I was completely unaware until our neighborhood facebook group posted about the accident and road closure. Someone who had been at the scene confirmed the information about the motorcycle for me.

I'm glad I didn't witness it, though I like to think I might have been able to help. That's silly though because apparently many motorists got together and tried to lift the vehicle off of him but were unable to do so and a police officer was on the scene pretty quickly and he was pronounced diseased fairly quickly so it's not likely any help would have been beneficial so I'll be happy to have not witnessed his end.

With my son in the car I didn't want him seeing it and didn't want to deal with the traffic/detour so we took the long way home after practice as they were still dealing with the investigation/cleanup.

Jason.... Saw that last night. I was on my way to store and was stopped by construction then turned off at the accident. I had read on the neighbor hood page it that was an MC accident. While still saddened I was glad to see that your still posting.

The motorcyclist was traveling south in the 800 block of FM 741 when a female, traveling northbound in a van, turned in front of the motorcycle...

Single most common cause of crashes between bikes and cages. I can just hear her now, telling the responders, "I didn't see him." Sickening.

And I'm with Flavius; I'd bet actual money that she was driving while distracted.

Sorry you had to go through this Jasen even if you didn't see the crash. SO many young drivers are on their phones these days. Old people too but I notice young females driving and texting more than any other group. I had three close calls the other day ( in the CR-V) on 35 from Shertz to San Marcos , all three young females .

This is horrible but it's also all too common that we have to dodge a car or die.

Just yesterday, I had a car signal and move into a turn lane in front of me. I was passing them while they were slowing down in the turn lane when they decided they wanted to go straight and came back over into the lane they vacated and would have hit me if I didn't see it coming. I had a car on my right so I had no choice but to squeeze between the two vehicles. I felt safer just accelerating to the opening so I ended up doing an unintentional lane split.

Anyway....just another example of drivers doing stupid stuff that can kill a rider and they don't even think about it.

Ride like they are trying to kill you....

Last edited:
My wife and son were returning from the store today in the #1 lane when a young woman pulled out from a side street and decided that she wanted the same lane they were in. Fortunately there were no injuries but my wife was really shook up for quite a while, and my son's car will be spending the next couple of weeks in the body shop.

If we had been on the bike when that happened we may have wound up like the young sport bike rider.

Just to be clear, as I didn't see the accident, I'm not exactly willing to totally assign blame here. The park where my son has soccer practice is a hang out for these guys and frequently they are stunting in the parking lot across from us. One day I was leaving in the car and had one of them come flying past me between me and the curb (wide street) and cut in front of me and hit the brakes only to turn around and go flying through the park street again. I have no idea what he did when he turned that corner, how fast he was going or what she was doing, but I'm not totally willing to completely rule out stupidity on the part of the motorcyclist either. It's a fast road with a lot of turning traffic from time to time going in and out of the school. What is sad is he was 22 years old and is now dead and that girl has to live with the consequences of what happened regardless of who was at fault. A bad day for all involved, worse obviously for some.

Yea, you did not need to see that. I did once and it ruined my ride for many months, all too typical scenario. Be aware when you ride around schools and malls, shopping centers, distracted and unaware goes way up off the scale in that world.
I hope some knowledge and awareness can save the next young person.

Bad scene. Let me guess. She didn't see him AND she was late for picking someone up or dropping someone off. It just seems like so many are oblivious to what is outside their own sphere. So sad, but so common.

Edit: Those share the road signs with a pic of a motorcycle, they make me smile. I don't know how effective they are but I would like to see more of them. They seem to be clustered around the areas most frequented on weekends like Fredericksburg and San Marcos. But it is the commuters that I think are in the most danger as they are riding during rush hours and frantic traffic.

Last edited:
Left turning vehicles can catch the most experienced rider off guard. Sorry to hear of a loss to the motorcycle community. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Yes, it is very sad.. I have lost a few friends,as well. They were excellent seasoned riders but had lost, what I call, a healthy fear of other vehicles.. I trust, NO 4 wheel death trap... God bless his family..

My father told me once, "the graveyard is full of bikers that had the right of way"... This is still true and profound today as the first time I heard it..

Mikie86

One bit of riding wisdom I gave to my son was always give up the right of way while on a motorcycle. Autos out-mass you by 4-10 times. Just let 'em got their way and stay of theirs.

Last edited:
Gotta remember the rules of tonnage.

I had an experience once on a motorcycle with a garbage truck that ran a stop sign across my path. I totally gave way to the rule of tonnage.

As many have, I've witnessed some riders last rides, the hardest thing was I talked my friend who was reckless into buying my bike back in 79, I worked for his mom and dad who owned Dallas frame and alignment, within four days of buying my bike he died on it in Coppell on Bethel rd going around a turn too fast, ever since I have never tried to talk a non rider into becoming a rider, in fact if I see they have a bad driving history I try to talk them out of buying a bike, even if it hadn't been my friends fault, I talked him into putting himself out there, I was at a loss for a long time over that, no it wasn't really my fault that he died but it felt like it might be for a while, I remain close friends with his Mom to this day.

Marc B,

Analog I heard from a friend who trained private pilots. He often would ask/check into car driving record, and even ask for a car ride to a restaurant, etc. His saying: "good driver-good pilot", "bad driver-dead pilot". I never finished private pilot training, but had the same query when I got interested, and was in my early 20s. I see young men at bike shops eyeing the sport bikes, and I think to myself: you don't have the maturity for that machine.
And some of the squids out there, yeah they die. YMMV.

Similar thing happened to me years ago. On a gorgeous Saturday morning, as we were on our way to shopping/lunch in our family truckster, I saw a green Kawi going the opposite direction. I thought to myself... boy, I wish I could be doing the same, hope he has fun.

Later that day, as we were going home on that same stretch of road, we came upon a whole commotion of ambulance, fire truck, and even a life flight helicopter. As we finally inched past the scene, I saw that same green Kawi, now all bent out of shape, and medic tending to the rider lying on the ground. I though to myself... I sure am glad I'm with my family.

I have no idea what he did when he turned that corner, how fast he was going or what she was doing, but I'm not totally willing to completely rule out stupidity on the part of the motorcyclist either.

So, yea, interesting how living on the outskirts of a large city like Dallas you still get the "Small World" effect from time to time. I was at a friends house today and they are close friends with the SUV driver, where I was able to get some more information.

Official investigation results came back estimating the motorcyclists speed at well over 100mph at the time of impact. He hit hard enough to knock her SUV over on it's side. He did not end up under the SUV but rather parts of him ended up in the SUV, along with his bike.

I always love when people use the excuse of "I'm only endangering myself." This lady was lucky that she and her daughter escaped with only minor injuries. Also, she was very lucky she didn't have her son with her because his car seat was right at the point of impact where the motorcycle penetrated the car.

Back