• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Oil

txmedic said:
Lots of folks are usung full synth Mobil 1 car oil 15W-50 in some pretty hot (150hp) Bandits without any slippage issues. Motorcycle Consumer News and Sport Rider also concluded that there was np reason not to use them if they met your viscosity requirements. Personally, I never got past the motorcycle specific part and use Amsoil 10W-40 motorcyle specific oil.They sell it locally over the counter for $8 per quart.

This is what I'm running now in my FZ-1, as far as I know as long as it doesn;t say energy conserving in the little round decal on back it's probably ok.

Mobil 1 red cap.

Runnin syn3, harleys synthetic in my harley.

Went to Sam's Club and Wal-Mart today and both locations have LOTS of the Rotella 15-40. W-M had a few quarts, lots of gallons, and some cases. Sam's had several pallets of cases, minus the one case I purchased for $39... $1.67 per qt cost.

W-M was a little more expensive, about $42/case.

For those using Mobil 1, the guys on one of the Wing boards are discussing the fact that Mobil has reformulated their MB1 and it is no longer recommended for wet clutches.

Got a link? Mine still doesn't say "energy conserving" on the jug.

I've been using Rotella Synthetic 5w40, really like it. I've also read some really good things about it for bike use. I've actually started using it in my other vehicles as well, it even quites the noisy hydraulic lifters in my Trooper.

They are talking about this on the FZ1 boards as well, but I just bought some at the auto parts store and it has no energy conserving label either.

I've been running Mobil 1 red cap in my 1100 ever since it's resurrection. The thing I've noticed the most is the lower operating temperature of the bike. This is a big deal for an air cooled machine.... I think I'll stick with it. ;-)

FLUFdriver said:
Shop around for your Amsoil motorcycle sythetic. I have found it for $5.50/qt when you buy a case at a time from this independent dealer: http://www.syntheticwarehouse.com/ (Just do a google search)

Amsoil sells a motorcycle specific full synthetic that outperforms Mobil 1 for only about $1 more. It has scored highly in the MCN tests as well.

http://www.amsoil.com/products/streetbikes/index.htm
A friend and I split the cost, and he signed up with Amsoil as a preferred customer. We mix our orders and prorate the freight, and he has it shipped to his warehouse, and our cost for Amsoi 10w40 motorcycle oil is just under $5 a quart. We both keep some in stock, so if one of us happens to run out, we just borrow from the other until we get some in. It's very convenient for us.

Well shoot...I just got back from wal-mart with Rotella 5w40 (recommended in my Triumph Haynes manual) and now I find this thread and see apparently highly knowledgeable folks are recommending higher cold weight, like 15w and above.

Maybe the Haynes manual recommends 5w because they assume you are in England with your Triumph and will be cold-starting a lot??

From what I understand, shouldn't a lower cold weight always be better? Faster cold lubrication and so forth.

birdwh said:
Well shoot...I just got back from wal-mart with Rotella 5w40 (recommended in my Triumph Haynes manual) and now I find this thread and see apparently highly knowledgeable folks are recommending higher cold weight, like 15w and above.

Maybe the Haynes manual recommends 5w because they assume you are in England with your Triumph and will be cold-starting a lot??

From what I understand, shouldn't a lower cold weight always be better? Faster cold lubrication and so forth.

The problem is multifaceted:

1. The lower temp performance is only marginally different at the temps we see here in Texas at any time during the year. I'm running 15W50 year round and I ride everyday to work. Coldest day was 17F. The temp where the oil is too thick for the oil pump for the 15W is far too cold to ride anyway. It is also here where a GOOD truly synthetic Group IV or V oil will shine in cold performance.
2. The lower vis to start means you will need more vis improvers to get the oil at the proper vis at operating temp. These vis improvers have no lubricating properties whatsoever and they cannot withstand the grinding through the teeth of the transmission. What you end up with is an oil that breaks down from a 40W at temp to a 30 or 20W between oil changes.
3. Test after test have consistently shown that a 5W or 10W base stock oil allows far too much valvetrain wear to occur. It's just too thin. Will this wear be noticed in the timeframe that you own the bike? That depends on your riding and how long you'll keep the bike.

The best oil? 20W50 full synthetic. MB1 makes one (the V-Twin oil) but it's expensive at $7/qrt. The next notch down is the MB1 15W50 (now called the Extended Performance at Walmart). It's reasonably priced and well tested in a number of bikes. It's what I run in my 04 VFR. The 50W at temp gives you great lubrication for the high temps and it's thick enough to float larger particulates than the 30 or 40W. The absolutely critical part is the base stock. Based on my research, that's a 15W minimum, even in my truck. The 20W is better, but the 15W works year round.

birdwh said:
I would say it depends on the motor, and what pressure it needs to operate properly at. Both my Honda Accord and Isuzu Trooper with the 5w-40 run much quieter cold than with 10w-40 or 20w50, but my Triumph was a little noisier. I'd say it does seem to break down faster though, which is OK with me, I change my oil more frequently than recommended anyway. I'd just try it and see, it really can't hurt (short term).

Thanks!

I've been using 'BMW' 15w50 full-synthetic from the dealership the entire 36k miles. Guess I'll go for the Rotella-T 15-40. It's SOOO much cheaper than the others, especially the BMW 'motorcycle' 15w50.

I'm going to keep it till it quits so long-term wear does matter.

birdwh said:
Thanks!

I've been using 'BMW' 15w50 full-synthetic from the dealership the entire 36k miles. Guess I'll go for the Rotella-T 15-40. It's SOOO much cheaper than the others, especially the BMW 'motorcycle' 15w50.

I'm going to keep it till it quits so long-term wear does matter.

I'm not sure which manufacturer is providing the BMW 15W50, but you should know that the Shell 15W40 is not a synthetic oil. You'll be using a good dino/diesel oil, but not a synthetic. Again, it'll work but I wanted to point that out. Chevron DELO400 15W40 also outperformed some syns in testing. Not bad for a dino based diesel oil! That's the very type that is in my Dodge Ram right now with the MB1 15W50 full syn in the VFR.

One other note: not all oils that are labeled as synthetic are really synthetic. Mobil lost a lawsuit against Castrol years ago on this, so for many manufacturers a label of syn is marketing only (Group III base stock oil). That was the reason for my earlier comment on the BMW labeled oil-it may not be a true synthetic anyway so switching to say the Shell 15W40 may not be a large departure.

:tab I ran the Rotella 5w40 in both VFRs for a LOT of miles and loved it! Changed the oil and filter maybe every 5K give or take a few miles. Bikes ran great on it! Dirt cheap at SAM'S CLUB. I bought a carton of 6 of the six quart containers for about $40, that's 36 quarts!! Lasted me a longggg time!

:tab I know use the Mobil One 15-50 in the GS since the 18K oil change. I am now at 44K and just recently it has begun using oil again... :-| When I first start it cold, it puffs some visible smoke for 5-10 seconds, but then for the rest of the day nothing. In all other respects, the bike seems to be running fantastic! Not sure what to make of this recent development... :shrug:

Adios,

Alright, I went with the Mobil 1 15w50. Wal-mart price by the 5-quart jug is half that of the silly BMW 15w50 (really Spectro Oils 'synthetic'). Perfomance is fine, no slippy clutch anyway.

The one thing people seem to agree on is that higher visc is preferred, particularly the base stock, so that was the deciding factor. I think the Rotella non-synth 15w40 is a great deal though...only a few bucks per 4-quart jug...supercheap.

I saw a 0w30 at wal-mart...what the heck is that for? Salads, sauteeing?

birdwh said:
I saw a 0w30 at wal-mart...what the heck is that for? Salads, sauteeing?
Isuzu actually recomends Mobil 1 0w-30 in a TSB for my Trooper, supposedly helps pressurize the hydraulic lifters properly and cleans as well. I'm not that brave, so I use 5w-40. I tried 15w-50 once, the lifters clacked like a diesel!

As we should all know by now, oil is oil, all tires are the same, VFR's are sport bikes not tourers, and the Spurs will win, dammit !

ScootR said:
As we should all know by now, oil is oil, all tires are the same, VFR's are sport bikes not tourers, and the Spurs will win, dammit !

What you doing slummin over here boy ? You didn't let that slop jowled, sway backed , asphalt colored VFR riding yankee rabble run you off did you ? You still running 1/3 Marvel Mystery , 1/3 gear oil, and 1/3 sperm whale oil ? Still getting ~ 55 K miles out of a used Cheng shin ?
Still doing my sister ? better my sister than my momma and momma ain't half bad !
Good to "see" you locally bro.

MP Simmons said:
You didn't let that slop jowled, sway backed , asphalt colored VFR riding yankee rabble run you off did you ?

Who you callin' a yankee? :lol:

wczimmerman said:
MP Simmons said:
You didn't let that slop jowled, sway backed , asphalt colored VFR riding yankee rabble run you off did you ?

Who you callin' a yankee? :lol:

I beg yoa pardon suh, I was referring to some unsavory characters on another boad. The Good Col. Merriwether Beauregard Scootr and I had to clap erasers after class following our efforts to educate these motherless dogs on the inherit inferiority of non Texans.
I don't judge a man by the color of his bike suh, as long as it's red.
Yankees make great oil....once you get em in the ground long enough.
You all ARE from SOUTH Temple are you not ?

Born in Mississippi, grew up in Louisiana, moved to Texas as soon as I could. Doesn't get more Southern than that.

Back