• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Calling on the KLR wisdom of TWT!!

:tab Well, for starters, his bike is not well setup. Mine is wired for GPS, has a center stand, and some other handy mods that make life easier. Also, his bike is in "rough" condition. He has had it for nearly two years and it has been sitting most of that time. When I went to pull the part from the carb, it would not come out. So I wound up pulling the whole carb anyway. It was pretty nasty and will need to be torn down, cleaned, and reassembled. When I handed it to the guy at the shop, he looked at me and said, "did the bike this came out of run...?" :lol2: So I figure once I get everything back and get the new part, I will do a clean/rebuild on my Pastor's carb. I've been trying to convince him to sell the bike. It isn't real pretty, but when I last rode it (which was the night he bought it), the motor was strong and had just had a tune up. The tires are flat and probably suffering a bit of dry rot. The previous owner rode it on the beach a few times and did not do a good job of cleaning things afterward, so there is a good bit of surface corrosion. A good sand blasting and painting or powder coating and the bike would be good as new. He will never do all that though.

Yikes! After sitting that long and being 'put away wet' so to speak I can bet it would have some electrical gremlins waiting to pounce, and pending brake issues too.

It is cool that he will let you borrow that part, and that you obviously intend to return things in better shape than you are borrowing them. :thumb: Kudos to both of you.

It...

is...

ALIVE!!! :dude:

:tab Just got back from Bryan. I rode the KLR home. It runs great! :rider: It is a beautiful day but the wind is BRUTAL!! After just an hour ride, my neck and shoulders are killing me :doh: But it was great to be back on the KLR! :clap:

:tab So I asked what Patrick did to the bike. ALL of the valves were out of spec on the loose side. So he set those. He put the missing part in the carb and the bike ran fine. However, he said there was a bit of a flat spot around 3K rpm. So he dropped the needle one notch. The Dynojet instructions say to use the middle (third) notch, but he has it on the second from the top. This got rid of the flat spot. The bike pulls great all the way to rev out. He left the 140 main jet in that I had installed instead of going with the recommended Dynojet 136 jet. He also replaced my aging fuel lines, something I had been intending to do but just had not gotten around to doing. :clap: It should be interesting to see what kind of mileage I get now. I have rarely gotten over 40 mpg on the KLR as compared to many people that claim to get 60+ on a regular basis. I doubt I will achieve that, but hopefully it will improve a little since I was running quite rich previously.

:tab Now all I have to do is get the plastics back on, mount the passenger pegs so I'll have tie down points for bungees, find out why my GPS lead is not getting power, and then I will be set for Big Bend!! Oh... and maybe install a new set of tires if I get motivated.

Last edited:
Heh, I actually set my valves on the loose side of spec... "a slappy valve's a happy valve!"

I love that feeling though, when a vehicle has been down a while, then it finally comes back to life :rider:

Heh, I actually set my valves on the loose side of spec... "a slappy valve's a happy valve!"

I love that feeling though, when a vehicle has been down a while, then it finally comes back to life :rider:

I tend toward the loose side as well :trust: However, they were completely out of the spec range and not just on the loose side of the spec range. He just moved them back into the range and I think still towards the loose side ;-)

Well, she's all back together and in fighting trim... Brakes bled. Misc electrical issues sorted. Busted rear turn signal and license plate lights fixed. Fuse on GPS power line replaced. All the body work back on. Tank panniers and tank bag installed. Front fender tear stitched with zip ties. I may try to get in an oil change and mount new tires this weekend. Man I CAN'T WAIT for Big Bend :dude:

Scott, My 02 KLR had the same issues. Ended up being trash or gunk in the carb. It's easy to do, a little time and carb cleaner spray from the auto parts store. Take it apart squirt it down rub with a tooth brush compressed air helps but dont use enough to blow the part out of you hand. I took the time to change the main jet to a 150 and man it changes things. Good Luck, MW

Back