• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Tire pressure

Greg

Reaction score
Probably been on here in the past, but I need to know now. I've heard too many people recommend different pressures in certain temperatures. Any input would be appreciated....for both cold mornings @ 35-40 degrees and hot Houston days in August. Thanks.

:tab I don't really mess with the tire pressure for different ambient temperatures. The tire is going to heat up when the carcass starts flexing, even in cold weather. The difference in ambient temps doesn't really seem to matter much. I run 36 f 42 r all the time. For trackdays I might drop a few psi but not much. Ideally, the tire is designed to run at a specific pressure because that is what helps the tire maintain its' profile. The proper profile is what is important for the tire to operate as intended. If you really need more grip, use a full blown track tire at the pressures the mfg recommends. Contrary to what many people seem to think, the mfg's are not stupid and they know what pressures work best for any of their tires. If I am going to be slabbing for extended miles on a trip, I might run the pressure up 2-3psi just because it seems to reduce the wear on the tire. However, it makes for a harsher ride and the tire does not grip as well as normal. I guess the point of all this is that I seldom go up or down from the mfg recommended pressures more than 2-3 psi. I usually go more by how the tire feels when riding as the weather changes. If it feels sluggish and slightly squirrely, I add a pound or two. If it feels harsh and I'm bouncing all over the place, I lose a pound or two. Seems to work for me ;-)

Adios,

Different pressures for different temps sounds like a twisted version of how to determine "proper" track temps.

Ideally you want to see about a five pound rise between a "cold" tire, i.e. before you get on the track without tire warmers, and a "hot" tire, right after you get off the track. In the big leagues you'll see them checking the temp almost before they get stopped.

Us poor folks just check pressure as soon as we can get the bike on the stand. :angel: More than five pounds, you're cold pressure was too high, not five, and your cold pressure was too low.

I mostly agree with Scott, check the pressure and don't worry about the temp on the street. Although I'll admit I rarely run at Honda's recomendation. At those pressures the UberHawk skates around like a wet footed pig on black ice. Not that the stock 204s had much more grip than that to begin with. That's strictly for highway drones. I'll drop 4-5 for "spirited street riding" and I think the last time I took the VTR to the track I was running about 32-34. But you can expect to shag half your tire in a day at those pressures, especially if it's hot.

But, the street ain't the track, so 2-4 pounds down at best unless you like buying tires every 3000 miles or so.

My 2¢,

Daryl

Back