• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Electrical Problems in Sugar Land

13.5 at 5,000 rpm. :thumb:

Hondas of the period were notorious for not charging under about 3,500 rpm.

Lee

My '83 650 hawk never had a charging problem until the alt/stat windings shorted that still allowed what appeared to be a "normal"[read per spec] charging voltage, but because the AVAILABLE current was severely reduced the battery never recharged. I mentioned this very early on in the thread. I concur with[I believe it is Craig] that your burned harness needs to be repaired, not patched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suggest you have someone help with repairing/replacing the harness or there will still be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Just my .02

I was thinking of replacing the stator (and its harness) down the line as it and the brushes are the only things in the charging system I haven't replaced. (I've replaced the white and black wire to the brushes).

I guess I could solder on new yellow wires, or splice on new wires close to the stator itself. Hmmm.

My '83 650 hawk never had a charging problem until the alt/stat windings shorted that still allowed what appeared to be a "normal"[read per spec] charging voltage, but because the AVAILABLE current was severely reduced the battery never recharged. I mentioned this very early on in the thread. I concur with[I believe it is Craig] that your burned harness needs to be repaired, not patched!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I suggest you have someone help with repairing/replacing the harness or there will still be weeping and gnashing of teeth. Just my .02

14.8 volts at 5,000 rpm (give or take) when measured at the red wire coming off the reg/rec (which is what Tony Weeks, the guy who built the reg/rec, says to check).

And it took me to the office and back (with some side jaunts in between) today with no problems. When I put it back on the trickler charger, the green light came on in about 15 minutes.

Back