• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

THE TWTex XR400 Thread.

Phillip and I, after arduous research, have concluded that the hard to start symptoms of an xr400, can, and most of the time ARE attributed to improper jetting, as a result of an aftermarket exhaust system.

Or put another way, when it left Honda it bloody well started!

Don't mean to injure tender sensibilities but the "hard starting xr4" is a sad joke on those who are too lazy or inept to jet their bikes properly. I am on my fourth XR4 and have used the slightly modded stock exhaust and one aftermarket muffler/silencer. All the aftermarket silencer did is make more noise and increase fatigue over the course of a long day. I have found a 60/62 pilot and 160/162 main with stock needle setting to be excellent in all elevations up to 8/10K ft. Then I go to a 55/155 setting. The fuel screw setting is basically stock with minor tweaking. A huge help for me is non-ethanol gas and I always use SeaFoam religiously. I started my current bike yesterday on the fifth kick after sitting untouched since April, normally it fires on the second or third kick. I was devastated but some Evan Williams White restored my psyche. Good luck guys.

When I got it the airbox was already opened up and i put 3 holes in the end of the muffler like Gordon said and it will start with just a couple of kicks but I am still not happy with it.

when cracking the throttle it has a tendency to bog down and the air mix screw makes no difference unless I screw it all the way in it will idle donw maybe a couple hundred rpm. it is jetted with 60/160

I'm running the same jets & same mods (I also did the exhaust inlet welds) and do not have this problem. I'm thinking it may not be related to the jetting at all?

I am not going to change anything until I can take it on a road test for a bit and see if it settles anything, if not I may have to drop the pilot jet a number or two?

You sir, need a 62 pilot jet. If the screw makes no difference, unless screwed all the way in, (at which point it should die)

Pop in a 62, set it at 1.5 out, and see what she does.

The off-idle bog is because you're creating an idle high enough for the bike to run with the idle screw. (This is because your pilot is too small)

You want the highest idle, with the lowest idle setting possible (or the slide as closed as possible.)

IN THEORY, your throttle valve (slide/butterfly) will be completely closed, allowing almost no air to flow through. This is possible because of the pilot air jet in the Bell of the carb.

If this above condition is achieved, the "vacuum signature" on the carb is as high as it can be, at idle. That means, when you open the throttle real fast, and that vacuum drops rapidly, the engine was sucking on the carb hard enough to get enough fuel flowing to build RPM

If you ever have time on a Sunday afternoon-tuesday, my shop is always open. I can make that carb run right. Me swears

Last edited:
I may have a 62 in my box of jets. I will probably be able to do it next week as wife will be taking it easy from knee surgery.

About 30 pages ago, someone posted the link for where it states that you can modify a dirtbike for street use...

Anyone have that info???

is the minimun
Brake lite operated by one brake
Hi Low head light with a light to show hi beam
one mirror
horn

You don't need an indicator for high beam. You do need a license plate light though

Last edited:
That should make it easy for me to get the 600 back to street legal so I can get the title in my name, then I can sell it and spend the money on my 400 :rider:

If you clean it up and price it right the 600 will be easy to sell. Still a very popular bike. Being plated with a clear title is good but will not add a whole lot to the value. May or may not be worth the hassle and ins expense.

If you clean it up and price it right the 600 will be easy to sell. Still a very popular bike. Being plated with a clear title is good but will not add a whole lot to the value. May or may not be worth the hassle and ins expense.

I don't fully agree here. I think some people go into looking for a street legal DS wanting one already done.

While it may not increase the value a whole lot, it WILL make your bike a relevant option for a larger customer base.

If I were not able to do the wiring and mods to convert a dirtbike, and was searching for a dual sport, an un-plated bike would be worthless to me.

That is sort of what I was thinking especially a 600cc. I can get the Tusk with everything but the dual beam head light but with a little wiring as a $60 LED what I can use with a H4? base.

so far I have 1K in it and for another $250 make it street legal again

Back