• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

New Rider In Benbrook

Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Hello, from the South-West side of Fort Worth

Everyone calls me Ski or Dave Ski, and No that’s not my real last name. You couldn’t pronounce it anyway - trust me this is easier! I’m starting a new chapter in life having retired recently and now I have a lot of spare time for riding and traveling and such. So when Mitchntx invited on the Father’s Day ride - I couldn’t pass it up!

It’s nice to meet a bunch of people with similar interests.

I started riding when I was 9 after rebuilding a 1964 Honda 305 scrambler basket case. That build started a long road of buying junk bikes (sometimes more than one of the same model), selling the leftover parts and the running motorcycle, then repeating the whole process. 32 rebuilds later I bought my first New bike, a 1980 KZ1300! After I discovered what an Orphan the Big Six turned into, I had to get another junk one to have enough spare parts to keep One of them running, so there I was back to my old habits...
That was followed by a couple dirt bikes and crotch rockets, and a Goldwing in 2007. Various Harley’s came and went and the ‘Wing finally left the garage earlier this year. The need for speed was strong so a new GSXR1300 slid into the garage alongside a Road King Peace Officer Special. Life was good!

My career in Nuclear Power ended when I turned 59-1/2 this year, and here I am! Ready to get bugs in my teeth and wind in my hair (if I had any).

I have other hobbies that keep me busy but riding has always been on top of the list. Now I have time to do it right.

Thanks for listening

Welcome ski ... I'm not far behind you

Hey, I’m right outside of Benbrook. Yes, apparently Benbrook has suburbs. Might want to join us on Tuesday evenings and Friday evenings. Tuesday moves around, Friday is always at the Burger Box in North Richland Hills. I’ll post up links to those threads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome Dave! It was great meeting you at the Breakfast ride!

41983829995_675a641b31_z.jpg

Good to have you on board. Nice Suzuki. Way different than the wing.:rider: What made you decide on the 1300?

Good to have you on board. Nice Suzuki. Way different than the wing.:rider: What made you decide on the 1300?

Several reasons:
Broke my back in a car wreck years ago and leaning forward feels better than sitting vertically like on my old Goldwing. OT was more than ten years old and didn’t have 30,000 miles on it, so apparently I didn’t enjoy riding it anymore.

Got a good deal on it during a Memorial Day sale.

I had been looking at adventure bikes but all the places I knew to ride were paved or private land. Didn’t know where to go off-road but all that has changed now. So I may have to add to the stable.

It’s blazingly fast and solved my mid-life crisis better than a little red corvette!

The 1300 fits me better than other sport bikes.

Plus it makes me smile!!!!

Several reasons:
Broke my back in a car wreck years ago and leaning forward feels better than sitting vertically like on my old Goldwing. OT was more than ten years old and didn’t have 30,000 miles on it, so apparently I didn’t enjoy riding it anymore.

Got a good deal on it during a Memorial Day sale.

I had been looking at adventure bikes but all the places I knew to ride were paved or private land. Didn’t know where to go off-road but all that has changed now. So I may have to add to the stable.

It’s blazingly fast and solved my mid-life crisis better than a little red corvette!

The 1300 fits me better than other sport bikes.

Plus it makes me smile!!!!

Glad you did not give up riding. Was curious since the bikes are kinda on opposite ends of the spectrum. Good pick. :rider:

Glad you did not give up riding. Was curious since the bikes are kinda on opposite ends of the spectrum. Good pick. :rider:

Oh I don’t know if they are quite that different.
I chased a bunch of kids on R-1’s across the Tail of the Dragon on mine, and except for the sparks we all looked about the same! It’s just a big sport bike with luggage and a stereo!!!! Oh and you REALLY have to wanna make it turn.
I’d still be riding it but for my back.

Oh I don’t know if they are quite that different.
I chased a bunch of kids on R-1’s across the Tail of the Dragon on mine, and except for the sparks we all looked about the same! It’s just a big sport bike with luggage and a stereo!!!! Oh and you REALLY have to wanna make it turn.
I’d still be riding it but for my back.

Oh I know the Goldwings handle. The power ratio is killer on the Suzuki. Have fun on it,would be too dangerous for me to have.:deal:

Looks like I’m not going to make it....

Just saw these posts. Fuel City was last time. I was busy at work and didn't see these posts until I got home. Moving offices tomorrow after 15 years in the same spot. Lots of junk to pack.

Come out Friday. There is usually a good turnout then.

Back