• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Sam Houston NF OHV - Status?

I did notice that the recording now says closed due to wet conditions instead of due to post Harvey repairs

I have no idea how wet it is or isn't, but this is the word from folks who are in the know. Guess we'll see if true Monday.

Roads where great yesterday .... lake is way up. Hope trails are open once it dries.

Few trails open, call 9363446205 for specifics. Progress.

Went out today, little sloppy but the guys did a great job on the trails. 21 out of 85 miles open. A lot still needs to happen. Hopefully one day. I don't think the eastside has even been touched but not sure. Balloon and string next.

Roots????????????? Amazing! After the Angelina I just had too much of the lies and insults. Good luck guys.

Went out today, little sloppy but the guys did a great job on the trails. 21 out of 85 miles open. A lot still needs to happen. Hopefully one day. I don't think the eastside has even been touched but not sure. Balloon and string next.

Good to know . Hope to go before it's too hot.

Eric Pullen‎ to TRH - Trail Riders of Houston
12 mins ·
IMPORTANT!!! PLEASE READ...

DO YOU WANT A CYCLIST AS YOUR MOTORIZED REPRESENTATIVE IN THE FOREST?

The Sam Houston Coalition is having a vote at 8:00am on May 5th which includes the Motorized Representative for the Sam Houston National Forest. I personally have nominated ED PONIKVAR to continue being our Motorized Rep. for another year. The other option is a cyclist with a vendetta, so if you want a cyclist representing you in the forest just stay home.

Ed Ponikvar has done a lot to improve and motivate to the point of being over bearing and annoying, but I feel that's what it takes. He is a strong voice for the Motorized community helping to guide us in the right direction in getting our forest back and on track with the rest of the nation.
Ed and a team of die-hard volunteers were a vital part in getting us the forest service equipment to work on the trail, and guiding local volunteers to be able to operate that equipment. Developing a way to accurately catalog our volunteer hours to help pay for grants and map the trail system damage to be repaired. Also he's been working with the AMA, local, state and federal government officials to figure out what needs to be done and rooting through the government B.S. to do so. He's done so much these last few years and I want to keep the ball rolling in the right direction.

PLEASE SHOW UP TO CAST YOUR VOTE!
EVERY VOTE IN THE ROOM COUNTS!
THE CYCLISTS ARE COMING WITH NUMBERS AND WE SHOULD TOO.

I just went out to the National forest for the first time on Saturday. Had a great time around Kelly Pond. When I was telling a coworker today about the ride he asked if I had a registration. What is that? Offroad registration? Is this needed for the Sam Houston NF?

I just went out to the National forest for the first time on Saturday. Had a great time around Kelly Pond. When I was telling a coworker today about the ride he asked if I had a registration. What is that? Offroad registration? Is this needed for the Sam Houston NF?
OHV sticker... Check the link below. You should call these places before you go. Some of them don't always have them in stock.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/texas-off-highway-program/where-to-buy-a-texas-ohv-decal

Edit:

Here's a link to all of the OHV areas in Texas. You need a sticker to ride any of these places.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/texas-off-highway-program/where-to-ride-ohvs-in-texas

Last edited:
Cycle Shack should always have them in Conroe.

Things to do in Hill Country

Good Ol' Texas Loop. Good Ol' Texas Loop is a 150-mile ride from Bandera to Fredericksburg, making a wide arc toward the west. ...
Gruene-Fredericksburg-Bandera Loop. ...
Highway 16. ...
Highway 39. ...
Kerrville to Comfort. ...
Texas Pig Path Ride. ...
Twisted Sisters.

What’s the “Texas pig path ride”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Things to do in Hill Country

Last edited:
Re: Things to do in Hill Country

Last edited: