• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

$4000 for a picture

Awesome job Sparky!!! Now does this mean that we still have to post up all of our pics as well, or are we good? I do happen to have a few pics of some bikes on their sides that I think I might post up.

Awesome job Sparky!!! Now does this mean that we still have to post up all of our pics as well, or are we good? I do happen to have a few pics of some bikes on their sides that I think I might post up.

Bill - you still have not replied to my e-mail:trust:

I'll finish posing up the rest of my report this week - closure is good

Thank you very much! Glad you enjoyed the photos and the story. :mrgreen:

But your "story" is not completed yet!
We need to hear the "rest of the story"
about how it has changed you and
may inturn inspire the rest of the world
or at least the web site.

In a way it only seems like yesterday, but sometimes it feels like it was years ago. I want to do it again some day. Thanks for the bump!

Dang... I can't believe how things change in just a year.:giveup:

So when are we going back?!?!

Its been a year for us too. (We got back from Prudhoe Bay about a week before y'all left.) How time flies........................ One thing's for sure though, my riding partner isn't going back anytime soon - that Haul Road (to Deadhorse) was too much for her.:giveup: It's going to have to be a paved road trip this year on the big bikes. Hmmmmmmmm, we haven't been up the California coast yet..........:rider:

Todd

10 years later!

I'm glad to see a lot of the photos are still intact

Last edited:
10 years... wow! Seems like so much less than that. *getting older sucks!

Yep, but it brought back some fond memories. It was such a great thread. Thank you guys, I'm so glad you shared it.
You said, Duke, a couple of posts back; "One day I too will make that trek." So is it still in the cards?

Yep, but it brought back some fond memories. It was such a great thread. Thank you guys, I'm so glad you shared it.
You said, Duke, a couple of posts back; "One day I too will make that trek." So is it still in the cards?

Absolutely it is.. I am looking flirting with summer of 2020, all the way to deadhorse.

I will have 4 weeks of vacation allotted to me then and I think I can make it work.

10 years later!

I'm glad to see a lot of the photos are still intact

Dang, it really was 10 years ago!:eek2: 10 years later, I still think back to things like Toad River and the classic car we saw there, hanging out and talking in Fairbanks then realizing it was something like 1am and still daylight so we should go to bed, riding through Chicken, stopping at EVERY Tim Hortons and Starbucks we passed, and all the ferry rides.

But... for me, still to this day my favorite day of riding a motorcycle so far was the day we left Chicken and road to Dawson. That was by far some of the worst riding conditions I could ever imagine, and also what made the trip for me. I remember finally getting to that little road house near the board and warming up next to the stove after slogging through all the slick and muddy roads. And then shortly after that not being able to see a darn thing in the fog at the Top of the World highway. Finally, that ridiculously terrifying ferry ride across the Yukon river into town.

That day to me was Alaska, and I will never forget it.

Other things I still remember... working on Graeme's bike in the pouring rain, the shower in one of the campsites that when you ran out of time only the hot water would shut off, Graeme taking a nap anywhere where he could possibly take a nap, the gas "station" on the first nations reservation, that stupid rug with the yellow duct tape on it at the circle, posing for photos with the popo, and so much more.

It was one heck of a good trip.:chug:

4uTiZXml.jpg

6jbsjPNl.jpg

hQ3qh4cl.jpg

V0J300Cl.jpg

sLjz5wql.jpg

My best day was burning down the Ross highway - 300 miles of well groomed gravel at ludicrous speeds with just enough soggy construction zones to keep you focused

Beautiful warm sunny day (one of the very few without rain)

The view around destruction bay!

Warrior, it sounds like a great trip. It's odd what you remember.

I have a picture on my Facebook that was a panoramic photo taken at the top of flag mountain at Taylor park in Colorado. Every time I see I think the whole trip. The climb to get there was never ending it seemed. It started raining on us on the way down. It was super wet. Make me think of that whole trip. That trip was nasty weather every day. 5 days and rain and mud every day Every thing from light drizzle, cold temps, heavy rain, sleet, and snow up and down the mountains. Cold temps and deep water crossings. A few drown out bikes only a few miles from the cabin and the end of that long ride. We were at a different spot almost every night for a week. I think about the trip as rough, cold and wet as it was as probably top two of the most amazing trips I have been one and one of the best on a motorcycle!

:tab It's the trips you survive after a struggle that you remember the most. You get that sense of satisfaction of knowing you had what it took to see it through. Trips without any challenges aren't usually very memorable. I think too many people in our society now are terrified of any real challenges. It's a real shame though, because it is the challenges that cause us to grow and become better people (if you survive them... :-P).

Welcome to getting old where 10 years ago feels like two years ago :-P

Bill, I just spent 2 1/2 hours in your garage and you forgot to mention you're going to Alaska? Sounds like a great trip. I'll be watching the website.

Back