• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

NMBDR trip planning need return route ideas

Reaction score
One of my riding buddies who is up in Dallas has managed to get a few days off to ride in October. Me and a small group of friends rode the NMBDR a couple of years ago. My friend in Dallas hasn't ridden any of it and would like to knock out a few sections. Our current plan is to meet in Abilene (I'm in Austin) leave my truck there (still have to figure that one out too) then load up in his truck and head to Ruidoso. Plan on riding the BDR up to Cuba NM then start heading back to Ruidoso for the drive back home.

I'm looking for a fun route from Cuba back to Ruidoso. Will have all day Saturday for the ride. We plan on heading home on Sunday. Obviously the more dirt the better. He will be on a 690 and I'll be on my 990. He's a really good rider and I would like to think I'm a pretty good rider. I've ridden the NM, CO, and part of UT BDR's and I've ridden my 990 all over Big Bend, even the State Park.

So, any must do routes? I've only just started the planning after talking to him earlier today so I'm open to whatever.

Thanks... Jeff

Last edited:
I will provide a decent road report of the NMBDR. I am heading out that way in a few weeks.

Also, greetings from Austin

Would like to hear both of your reports on Section 1 Dell City to Ruidoso. My brother (who lives in El Paso) and I are going to do that section in December. Would love to do more but just dont have the available time with work.

As far as a route from Cuba back to Ruidoso, you should swing by Bosque Del Apache National Refuge just south of San Antonio along the Rio Grande. Amazingly beautiful spot. You could then head over to Carrizozo and back to Ruidoso.

Last edited:
Would like to hear both of your reports on Section 1 Dell City to Ruidoso. My brother (who lives in El Paso) and I are going to do that section in December. Would love to do more but just dont have the available time with work.

Will do. I had to delay my trip until SEP 27th due to work. There has been a lot of rain out in the 4 corners so my delay was for the best

As far as a route from Cuba back to Ruidoso, you should swing by Bosque Del Apache National Refuge just south of San Antonio along the Rio Grande. Amazingly beautiful spot. You could then head over to Carrizozo and back to Ruidoso.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have had some input over on Adv from some locals. Will definitely check out Bosque Del Apache.

It looks like I was being a bit ambitious with our goal to get to Cuba. More realistically we will be between Grants and Cuba then have to head back. I found a dirt route 54 that goes south off of I40 down to Magdalena. It goes through reservation land so I asked about it over on Adv and was advised against riding it. It was also suggested I take 117 on the Eastern side of El Malpais then to a dirt connector C41 down to Pie Town. Looks like thats the route we will take back then get back to the BDR route from San Antonio.

FWIW I rode the whole NMBDR a few years ago and if I were to do it again I would skip section 1. Its pretty much a wide graded gravel road. We did it in May so it was stupid hot but I see your going in December so that should make it better.

Will do. I had to delay my trip until SEP 27th due to work. There has been a lot of rain out in the 4 corners so my delay was for the best

You may still be on the route, but be sure to let us know how it went. Im still considering doing the first section from Dell City to Ruidoso in December.

Did you ever write a ride report? How was it?

I am going to ride the NMBDR and SOR this September?

That trip ended up not panning out due to some work issues that came up. As I stated in the original post, I have ridden the entire NMBDR from Dell City. I'd be happy to answer any questions you have about the route and share where we camped and stayed in hotels. Its been a few years but I'm sure if I consulted with my map and my buddies I could come up with some information for you.

Back