• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

the "everywhere" riding pants

Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Last Name
Windham
Ive previously just put on jeans when i want to ride.... mostly because the riding pants i have seen in the shops seem a bit on the pricey side, or were at that time out of MY budget..

Im curious if any of you knows of a good riding pant, that is sufficient for the obvious riding, but also can serve as something i can wear to work, and do not have to strip out of them between getting off the bike and walking into the office.
If possible, i need something that still looks somewhat "professional". Meaning that i work in an environment where i myself am allowed to wear shorts, but am surrounded by others who wear suits/slacks/shirt/tie.
I would like to hear your opinions both

1. )on the cheaper side of things, if i was trying to save as much money as possible and still get good bang for my buck,
2. ) and also on the side of, if money wasnt an issue

Sliders from Competition Accessories are on the cheaper side. I don't have the link but a google search will pop them right up.

Sliders from Competition Accessories are on the cheaper side. I don't have the link but a google search will pop them right up.

awesome!
those look like something that fits right in with what i want.
thanks alot!

do you have some yourself? hows the fit/feel? just like jeans, or does the kevlar make them feel awkward?

ill be waiting to purchase, but will definately be looking there, unless someone has more input here for me to consider.

thanks again for that info.
im reading through the reviews as i type this.

I wear the cargo style. The fit is about normal. As far as the Kevlar goes I don't even notice it since the first time I wore them. I own one pair of the 4.0 and one pair of the 3.0, or at least that is what I think they are, any way they are the latest version and the one prior to the latest.

Sent from somewhere using Tapatalk

"Cheap" is relative, of course. It would help if you could give a price range. You can get some really good stuff in the $100-140 range.Watch the major online stores for sales. My Joe Rocket mesh pants are a little over a year old. I got them from Motorcyclegear.com (formerly NewEnough.com) for $133.

If you really want to wear your riding pants all day, you might look at something like these Joe Rocket jeans for under $90. They look nice. The downside, of course, is that you have to wear the same pants in the office every day.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-Jeans-Sports-Motorcycle/dp/B008325FZC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1370354044&sr=8-3&keywords=motorcycle+pants"]Amazon.com: Joe Rocket Rocket Jeans 3.0 Men's Denim Sports Bike Motorcycle Pants - Blue / Size 40: Automotive[/ame]

If you buy overpants with zippers all the way up each leg, you can slip in & out of them - over your street clothes - in no more time than it takes to pull on a pair of jeans. If you have to pull them over your shoes, that'll add a bit of time. Overpants give you the flexibility of wearing jeans, shorts, dress pants, whatever is called for on a given day at work.

Cycle Gear on Burnet has fairly cheap blue jeans with padded armor in them. Drew

As far as Kevlar goes, it isn't as abrasion resistant as Cordura. It is a stronger thread, but won't last as long when sliding down the road. It is great for stopping bullets.

When Kevlar is woven with other fibers it adds strength to the end product that will make a very good piece of protective motorcycle gear. Many "Kevlar pants" use raw Kevlar and may actually be less effective at protection than heavy Nylon. Kevlar is also quicker to degrade when exposed to sunlight (UV).

From Aerostich's site:
"We still choose Cordura, not Kevlar. Here's why:
Its advantages don't make up for it's disadvantages. In pure, undiluted form, Kevlar is lighter than Nylon and has greater tensile strength than Nylon. It won't melt like Nylon after touching a hot muffler (or from the friction generated heat of a high speed slide on hot pavement). Unfortunately, it's expensive and difficult to work with, which limits design and construction possibilities. Believe it or not, pure Kevlar fabric actually is much less abrasion resistant than Cordura Nylon. This quality is not important for bulletproof vests. Kevlar fibers have far less elasticity than Cordura Nylon fibers, a crucial handicap. In a crash, even the smoothest pavements have a rough aggregate surface that causes abrasive pulling. Nylon's stretchy fibers will elongate, ride over the surface irregularities, then snap back into the weave (like a tree bending in a strong wind), but Kevlar fibers quickly reach their tensile limit and snap."

From Motoport's site:
"Kevlar
Dupont strikes again

In order to give it the proper motorcycle abrasion strength Kevlar must be woven together with other threads, like Dynatec and or Lycra, ei Schoeller's Keprotec. These are the only suits approved for road racing other than leather. Some gear manufacturers use small portions of pure Kevlar as a gimmick. Quality full suits of it can be found. This gear is lighter, offers greater protection and it breathes. It slides on pavement the same way as leather and dissipates friction heat better than leather. Due to its' innate toughness during construction and the fabrics limited availability it is not widely marketed so it will take a bit of looking to get one."

On the other hand, Nylon gear will melt when sliding down the road. It can melt right into the skin and be very challenging and painful to deal with. Aerostich, which uses Cordura Nylon, clearly states that a non-synthetic layer should always be worn between their suit and the skin.

Motoport's Air Mesh Kevlar pants may seem a little pricey at first glance, but they will do the job better than race leather. Check out the Jean cut, Police cut and Ultra II pants for a variety of styles to choose from. Probably cost about twice what you are looking at elsewhere, but will be custom made for you and last multiple times as long.

I've had the Ultra II Air Mesh pants and jacket for a few years now and can't say enough good things about them. Looking back I have spent much more on gear that I wore out and/or didn't like over the decades than I paid for this set.

I can put these on over my office clothes, or just wear them over my briefs. They breathe well, offer great protection, will probably last forever, and the manufacturer will repair or replace them if damaged. I bought these specifically to be my "everywhere" riding pants.

If money is tight buy a set of zip-on overpants and always always wear a cotton layer under them.

Then, do your own research and save up for some premium gear that best fits your application.

"Cheap" is relative, of course. It would help if you could give a price range. You can get some really good stuff in the $100-140 range.Watch the major online stores for sales. My Joe Rocket mesh pants are a little over a year old. I got them from Motorcyclegear.com (formerly NewEnough.com) for $133.

If you really want to wear your riding pants all day, you might look at something like these Joe Rocket jeans for under $90. They look nice. The downside, of course, is that you have to wear the same pants in the office every day.
Amazon.com: Joe Rocket Rocket Jeans 3.0 Men's Denim Sports Bike Motorcycle Pants - Blue / Size 40: Automotive

If you buy overpants with zippers all the way up each leg, you can slip in & out of them - over your street clothes - in no more time than it takes to pull on a pair of jeans. If you have to pull them over your shoes, that'll add a bit of time. Overpants give you the flexibility of wearing jeans, shorts, dress pants, whatever is called for on a given day at work.

"cheap" to me, at least in regards to moto-gear....(im willing to spend more for my safety than i would going out to eat at a fancy restaurant... if that makes sense.) So for this topic, id say that im willign to go as high as about $150 or so... thats my cheap here.... although i did mention in first post, that i wanted opinions for if money wasnt an issue also... i may or may not come into money in the future. So if i have money i wont refrain from being more spendy.

I'm a fan of Diamond Gusset Defender kevlar jeans. They come in blue and blue. Also offer unique sizing options.
Gonna check this out as an option as well... thx

Cycle Gear on Burnet has fairly cheap blue jeans with padded armor in them. Drew

not too far a drive, will check it out. have been in the store before, but wasnt lookign in particular at pants, so i will have to go back.

As far as Kevlar goes, it isn't as abrasion resistant as Cordura. It is a stronger thread, but won't last as long when sliding down the road. It is great for stopping bullets.

When Kevlar is woven with other fibers it adds strength to the end product that will make a very good piece of protective motorcycle gear. Many "Kevlar pants" use raw Kevlar and may actually be less effective at protection than heavy Nylon. Kevlar is also quicker to degrade when exposed to sunlight (UV).

From Aerostich's site:
"We still choose Cordura, not Kevlar. Here's why:
Its advantages don't make up for it's disadvantages. In pure, undiluted form, Kevlar is lighter than Nylon and has greater tensile strength than Nylon. It won't melt like Nylon after touching a hot muffler (or from the friction generated heat of a high speed slide on hot pavement). Unfortunately, it's expensive and difficult to work with, which limits design and construction possibilities. Believe it or not, pure Kevlar fabric actually is much less abrasion resistant than Cordura Nylon. This quality is not important for bulletproof vests. Kevlar fibers have far less elasticity than Cordura Nylon fibers, a crucial handicap. In a crash, even the smoothest pavements have a rough aggregate surface that causes abrasive pulling. Nylon's stretchy fibers will elongate, ride over the surface irregularities, then snap back into the weave (like a tree bending in a strong wind), but Kevlar fibers quickly reach their tensile limit and snap."

From Motoport's site:
"Kevlar
Dupont strikes again

In order to give it the proper motorcycle abrasion strength Kevlar must be woven together with other threads, like Dynatec and or Lycra, ei Schoeller's Keprotec. These are the only suits approved for road racing other than leather. Some gear manufacturers use small portions of pure Kevlar as a gimmick. Quality full suits of it can be found. This gear is lighter, offers greater protection and it breathes. It slides on pavement the same way as leather and dissipates friction heat better than leather. Due to its' innate toughness during construction and the fabrics limited availability it is not widely marketed so it will take a bit of looking to get one."

On the other hand, Nylon gear will melt when sliding down the road. It can melt right into the skin and be very challenging and painful to deal with. Aerostich, which uses Cordura Nylon, clearly states that a non-synthetic layer should always be worn between their suit and the skin.

Motoport's Air Mesh Kevlar pants may seem a little pricey at first glance, but they will do the job better than race leather. Check out the Jean cut, Police cut and Ultra II pants for a variety of styles to choose from. Probably cost about twice what you are looking at elsewhere, but will be custom made for you and last multiple times as long.

I've had the Ultra II Air Mesh pants and jacket for a few years now and can't say enough good things about them. Looking back I have spent much more on gear that I wore out and/or didn't like over the decades than I paid for this set.

I can put these on over my office clothes, or just wear them over my briefs. They breathe well, offer great protection, will probably last forever, and the manufacturer will repair or replace them if damaged. I bought these specifically to be my "everywhere" riding pants.

If money is tight buy a set of zip-on overpants and always always wear a cotton layer under them.

Then, do your own research and save up for some premium gear that best fits your application.
Definately some good info to consider... im not dead set on Kevlar, so my options are open right now...thx

I'm a huge fan. Definitely a good option.

awesome...

I would really suggest considering the overpants option if you have a place to stash them once you get in to work. This way you're not wearing the same pants every day.

I would really suggest considering the overpants option if you have a place to stash them once you get in to work. This way you're not wearing the same pants every day.

i would most likely buy a couple pair to alleviate this. much easier if they are on the cheaper side.
but i do have a locker at work i can use to store some pants if i need to go the overpant route.
so far i see anywhere from about $75 - $150 depending on brand/material.
im still looking though.

If $150 is your limit, you have a LOT of options. It's less a problem of finding something that fits your budget, than of choosing from what's out there. In that price range, I favor Joe Rocket and Tourmaster, but that's just personal preference. Your options are wide open if you choose over pants. They're a little more limited if you want an all day pant. Other than the jeans look, I really can't think of anything that won't bring the "look at the man in the funny pants" looks. Plus, if you wear the same pants every day, that will bring its own looks.

Cycle Gear is okay, though you're brand limited pretty much to Bilt. Not sure where the closet Moto Liberty is to you, but they're reputed to have a good selection and good prices. Mail order, there all the standard places - Motorcycle Superstore, Bike Bandit, Revzilla, Amazon - and they're all reputable.

An interesting twist is MotorcycleGear.com in Lubbock, formerly NewEnough.com. They buy overstock and hold blowout sales. Their normal prices put them about on par with the others, but when they buy a big overstock, they offer some pretty astounding deals at times. And a lot of people like them because their return policies are very liberal - I think pretty much everything is free shipping for returns. PS - they're online only. If you happen to be passing through Lubbock, they'll chat and be friendly with you, but they have no showroom.

The cycle gear stuff is pretty cheaply priced. I have a pair of the blue jeans with the inserts in the knees and they seem to be holding up. I think they were 70 bucks. Drew

I have a pair of Draggin Jeans, but find that they are are styled just a little to "relaxed" and don't come with knee armor. They Armor they do sell is good (SAS-TEC), but attaches to the inside of the pant with Velcro and doesn't stuck too well. I also find that the Kevlar on the knees is a little rough on my delicate skin :)

I recently bought a pair of AGV Corsica jeans and they actually fit like jeans and have pockets for knee armor (I used the Sas-Tec stuff I bought for my draggins!!) and are also mesh lined to keep the Kevlar away from my knees.

so many options...

i wear cargo styled tactical pants made from rip-stop fabric

the military uses these and they are quite comfortable

having been down in a pair, i can attest to their toughness

they come in camo, digital camo, urban camo, black & tan(my every day goto's)

they run anywhere from $20 - $50 & can, sometimes be found @ the flea markets, though i get my solid colored ones at Omaha's, a Ft Worth Army surplus store

w/ the button cargo pockets, i can keep my billfold in a side pocket, instead of a back pocket, which chaps my hiney

good luck w/ your quest

sw

One thing that I've done is wear the Tourmaster CPX (?) jeans. They look like normal jeans but are much heavier. A nice feature is that the legs can zip off converting them to shorts. I use them in cold weather only.

I really like the Olympia Airglide over pants. I think this is your best option. Leg zippers go up to the hip so they are very easy to put on and take off. My deviation from the true course of intended implementation is that I wear them over boxer underwear and if needed i put the rain liner over the pants instead of under the pants as intended. But you size them right and you'll have the best of both worlds.

http://olympiamotosports.com/catalog/mesh-tech/mens-airglide-3-mesh-tech-overpant/

An over suit is also very nice but can be very hot depending on where you live.

tsp
My MC Blog:
http://www.airheadmoto.com

Back