• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Homemade Wheel Balancer

No centering cones. I don't see how it could work with the wheel a few mm's below the center.

Here's mine, it works because you use the axle and dust caps, it the exact same situation as if it were on the bike.

new013.jpg

FYI: the bolt looks undersized in that guys pics because the dust caps go inside the bearings, he should have the dust caps on.

Here is the one I made. I found the bearings in my hubs don't roll well enough to balance the wheel well. So I used high quality bearing from roller skates found at Academy Sports. The wheel's axle just lies across them. They are so sensitive, the wheel/axle will spin to an accuracy of less than .5oz.

I originally made the hanging triangles as a way to save space when not in use. It works, but is a little tricky getting the wheel on there. The next time I balance, I'll be constructing a stand similar to the one the guy on ADV did.

DSC_8448.jpg

DSC_8453.jpg

Last edited:
please explain how these could work, seems like they would increase the out of balance problem - settling in the heavy most part of tire. am I missing something?

never mind.. but still does not make sense to me...

Here's mine, it works because you use the axle and dust caps, it the exact same situation as if it were on the bike.

new013.jpg

FYI: the bolt looks undersized in that guys pics because the dust caps go inside the bearings, he should have the dust caps on.

Fattybean, do you have a close-up picture of your bearing assembly that is mounted on top of your jack stand? I'm thinking you could probably mount two roller skate bearings on a piece of angle iron. Then clamp the angle iron to the top of the jack stand with vice-grips.

Steve

DynaBeads flat WORK!
I run them in my bikes, and I'm a dispatcher for a trucking company and we run them in all 57 of our trucks, and fleet vehicles. Our trucks each have 28 tires on the ground, and they gross 105,500lbs, and the beads save us a lot of money in tires.

I spent $20 having Cycle Gear spin balance my Michlin. It vibrates at 75mph:angryfire . Sure I did not spend much for the tire but I did expect a decent balance job! I dropped it off at lunch said" take yor time do it right" got here at 4:30 like I said I would be and well guess what it was not done, rush job and I get a way less than satifactory job!

Every time I swear I just going to bit the bullet and get the harbor frieght setup and a balance stand.

I lke the roller skate bearing idea, I think I'm going to try it.

where can you buy stick on wheel weights locally?
is that something auto-zone or o'reily's carries?

I lke the roller skate bearing idea, I think I'm going to try it.

where can you buy stick on wheel weights locally?
is that something auto-zone or o'reily's carries?

Advance has them.

RideOn is supposed to balance tires, too.

Why not just use Ride-On? Prevents flats and balances the tires naturally.

Those stands do look good for truing the wheels, however.

I picked up the tire changing set up from harbor freight today. the motorcycle attachment is on sale for $50.
No I just need to make a balancing rig.

I don't think it has to be that complicated. I have 2 sealed cartridge bearings that I flushed with WD40, a steel rod and 2 jack stands. I've never felt a vibration in any wheel I've balanced that way.

Back