• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Just finished the NMBDR!

Reaction score
I just got home from riding the New Mexico Backcountry Discovery Route - it was a great ride! I was riding my TW200, and my buddy Bajaexplorer who I met through this forum was riding his DR650. I am not all that good at writing trip reports but I had not seen much info on this newer route before I left, although I just read JQ1.0's account which was fantastic. I learned some lessons on my ride that might help people new to this like I am, and had some different experiences than previous posts, so here goes.

Getting there: Since not many people live near the start/end points of Dell City, TX or Antonito, CO getting there is the first consideration. This was the only time I wished for more power than the TW has because I had to ride 550+ miles through west Texas in July heat at 60-65 MPH to reach Dell City. And from Antonito it was a 750+ mile ride home. I was informed that I should trailer the bike and contact a gentleman named Christian who is setting up a shop in Dell City to cater to riders' needs, to include a place to camp or leave a vehicle/trailer, but I didn't call him so can't confirm. Dell City has no lodging that I saw, but does have gas and groceries. Antonito at the other end has gas, groceries, restaurants (sorta), and a great place to stay called the Narrow Gauge Railroad Inn.

The route: great ride! The route mostly stays in either high desert of the mountains, all beautiful. Elevations pretty much stayed between 5500' and 9500'. It is about 90% dirt/gravel roads with some pavement, and the largest towns were Truth or Consequences and Grants. Not too technical, although there was plenty of loose surface, rocks, and a few muddy sections. We averaged about 200 miles a day, completing the BDR in 7 days of riding. The web site states that June and September are the best months to ride due to snow pack in the winter and the monsoon months of July and August. We obviously took the chance in July, and fortunately only encountered rain (and hail) a few times. I could believe that many sections would be impassible if it was wet though. The entire route was easy enough to follow using the .gpx file downloaded from the NMBDR website http://www.backcountrydiscoveryroutes.com/NMBDR. I ordered the Butler NMBDR paper map from precycle, but they must have been out of stock because it arrived after we left. It would have come in handy though! The official website has some good info including an interactive map, FAQ, etc., but the amount of information was very limited. For instance, the description for gas says that the longest distance between gas stops is 153 miles are on two stretches between Dell City and Weed, NM and then between Ruidoso and Carrizozo. But the descriptions of two other sections failed to mention clearly that you need to take side trips (from Fence Lake to Pinehill, and from El Rito to Ojo Caliente or Abiquiu) to get gas or you will have over 200 miles with no gas! Luckily I made the right decisions before passing up the opportunities. Riding with our smaller tanks this is a major consideration. And we only encountered a couple of motorcycle shops along the way, which fortunately we didn't really need.

Camping/Motels: our plan was to camp, so I carried all the gear. there were plenty of places to camp all along the way, mostly primitive camping. Because it was hot and we were dusty each day we decided to stay at motels most of the time. That also allowed us to charge our various gadgets easier. Wish we had just planned it that way and left the gear at home. I guess it would have come in handy if we had been stuck too far from a motel, but that only happened once. Motel prices ranged from $37 - $80 for single rooms.

Gear: I did take all my backpacking gear to camp out, along with an MSR fuel bottle filled with gas. I figured I could either use it for cooking with my Whisperlite international, or use it for emergency fuel. I took all the tools I use to work on my bike, one tube each for front and rear, an electric air pump, and various tapes, zip ties, etc. Luckily I never needed any of them. For electronics my buddy and I had Sena 10s intercoms which worked great, I used a Garmin Montana 610 but neglected to order the AMPS mount to keep it charged so it was usually dead before the end of my rides (10-12 hours). originally it was mounted in a Garmin "motorcycle handlebar mount" - huge mistake because the thin plastic ring broke on the fourth day and I had to backtrack to find my Montana. I also started out with my GoPro camera mounted using their handlebar mount - another huge mistake because that mount broke on the third day and I lost my camera and all my videos/photos. Grants was the first town big enough to have a Walmart to buy another GoPro - and that mount broke on the first day! Luckily I saw my camera fall and recovered it - and will mount the camera on a chest rig next time. So I only ended up with a few pictures and videos - not the best ones.

Clothing/Protection: i searched and tried on several "adventure" pants/jackets, but not many to be found locally. Never found any I wanted to wear during a long hot ride, so had almost decided to just wear BDU pants and synthetic shirts along with my street boots and helmet. But preparing for this trip I decided to take a MSF Dirt Class with Brad Collins of IXL Dirt School in Marble Falls, TX, and he gave me several pointers and advice. On his recommendation I bought an Arai XD4 helmet, Forma Terra boots, and Fox offload/MX pants. I already had a Fieldsheer mesh jacket, and several short sleeved synthetic shirts. I can't say enough how much I loved the helmet and boots! The pants were better than the adventure pants I tried on, but I am looking for hot weather pants with more mesh. I found that sweat pooled up under my legs and buttocks, which gave me a rash. A little mesh on those areas would help. I decided to take the risk of not wearing knee pads...and did not need them but might wear them next time.

TW200: What a great bike for this trip, love my little 200cc hobbit bike! I love lighter bikes, and the big fat tires are great on loose surfaces, mud, sand etc. While I wished for more power going up the steeper grades, I was still able to hold at least 45-50 MPH in 4th. And that was hauling my 215 lb. weight, a fully loaded pack, gas can, and a camp chair! I just learned to get over and let cars pass although we did not see many cars on the route during the entire trip. I was able to hold a steady 60-65 MPH highway. I do not have many mods to my bike, but do have 15-50 sprockets, bark busters, and a Clarke gas tank. I had the heavier front and rear springs installed along with the Racetech Cartridge Emulators. I am running a Shinko 244 tire on the front, which works well. I also took my Cycleracks and their bag supports off and mounted a Nomadic Rack from Procycle and a Rotopax mount to carry a gallon of gas. The main reason for switching out the racks was to better position my Giant Loop Great Basin bag further back giving me more seat room while allowing the legs (and weight) of the pack to ride lower like they were designed to do. This combination worked out perfectly! And I realized after removing the Cycleracks how heavy it was - although it is sturdy. I dropped my bike once on this trip in some loose lava rocks, but the Giant Loop and bark busters prevented any damage. And no flat tires! We generally kept it at 30 MPH average, and many areas slower than that. There were stretches we could hold 45 or so. Although I generally get 50-55 MPG highway running at 60-65 MPH, I found I was consistently getting about 60-65 MPG riding slower on dirt with a fully loaded bike. I never needed my Rotopax gas, except on the trip to Dell City. But it was comforting having the extra gas.

Well, hope this helps someone considering the route. I highly recommend it, and I will be running other BDR routes, or the Great Divide, or maybe the TAT next year. The NMBDR was a great learning experience.

IMG_1372-M.jpg

IMG_1382-M.jpg

IMG_1387-M.jpg

GOPR0051-M.jpg

IMG_1389-M.jpg

Last edited:
Absolutely a great ride report. Your preparations were outstanding, especially the suspension mods. You didn't need the tools and camping gear but well worth having the extra weight for an emergency. Hooray for your TW200. The little Tdub is underrated. 60 mph is plenty fast enough for me without a windshield. It's stone reliable, light, floats on sand, not expensive, and proven it's worth many times over. What more could you need? It got you there and back, you enjoyed the trip, and your outboard struts could reach the ground when necessary.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed it, I rode the WABDR a few years ago and loved it, then 3 weeks ago I rode the COBDR and UTBDR with my wife and 16 year old daughter, but was quite dissapointed with them. I bought the maps and videos and had expected 30% tarmac, 70% trail, but it turned out the other way, I guess video of tarmac is boring so they don't show it, but this leads you to believe most of the riding is trail riding. The trail riding was brilliant, but the tarmac/gravel-roads where very scenic but incredibly boring. The first 4 days of the COBDR are fantastic, but forget the last 2 days!! UTBDR was a lot of sand riding and after a while the scenery got a bit monotonous, the first 2 days are great and the last 2 days are great, but the middle is a bit tedious.. With all the sand the TW200 would be a great choice!! we met 3 riders on the UTBDR and 2 riders on the COBDR, but LOTs of 4x4 jeeps on the COBDR!!

Really not that much tarmac on the NMBDR, and the terrain varied quite a bit. Bajaexplorer picked the route for us, and he believed there was too much pavement on the COBDR.

Really not that much tarmac on the NMBDR, and the terrain varied quite a bit. Bajaexplorer picked the route for us, and he believed there was too much pavement on the COBDR.

When we rode the CDR, we came through new Mexico and enjoyed it a lot. Very hot but some great riding and not much tarmac!! :trust:

Back