• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

28deg life saver.

ntklr650

Matt6:34
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Last Name
M
The ox was in the ditch and I had no choice but to ride this morning. Many layers of warm gear helped but the two things that made it possible was Hot hands in the gloves and blue painters tape.
Need to rethink my winter riding gear this year and possibly add a taller wind screen on the KLR.

8fa3c427b3e7408d16070f64ec981553.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
If you can fit it into your riding gear budget: heated gear. I cannot recommend it enough for cold weather riding. I don't even worry about being able to stay warm enough (I just worry about icy bridges and roads).
And today's heated clothing can be run off self-contained lithium battery packs so no worries if your bike's alternator output is meager.

That's what I'm needing. The KLR power supply leaves a lot to be desired.

Nice helmet. I have the exact same one and had to go look to see what you covered with the tape.

I added heated grips to my klr and that did the trick for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought some battery-powered heated gloves yesterday. Hoping that does the trick.

My hands are the only things that get cold for me typically. At least down to 39 degrees, so far.

Couple years ago I rode from alpine to presidio on the klr in 22 degrees. Didn’t have enough feeling in my hands to swipe the card for gas. I think I ordered those grip heaters after standing in the restroom for 15 minutes under the air dryer to get feeling back .... ahhh, good memories

Keeping your core warm is the first priority. If you take care of that, it is MUCH easier to keep hands/feet warm. I was amazed at the difference a heated vest makes!! Mine has a collar that comes right up under my chin, so it heats the arteries in the neck. It makes so much difference in how my hands and feet feel when it starts getting cold. If your core is not kept warm, no amount of heated grips, thick gloves, etc,... is going to help. With my vest, I am comfortable down into the mid 20s. I also wear a good balaclava that keeps the wind off my neck and face, regardless of helmet vents. In fact, I like it because I can leave some vents open which helps prevent fogging.

If you can fit it into your riding gear budget: heated gear. I cannot recommend it enough for cold weather riding. I don't even worry about being able to stay warm enough (I just worry about icy bridges and roads).
And today's heated clothing can be run off self-contained lithium battery packs so no worries if your bike's alternator output is meager.

Do you have brand recommendations?

Heated vest with a sae connection is on my wish list.

Heated vest with a sae connection is on my wish list.

I think mine is a Widder, but I also think they eventually went out of business for some reason. It couldn't be a quality issue. My vest is over 15 years old and still looks and works like brand new. It is not bulky at all and works very well.

I have Gerbing heated gear and it works great, especially on longer rides. I've ridden all day in 25 degree weather and was warm and comfortable. I have the microwire gear and the wife has the older with wires you can feel. It seems like the microwire gear gives more even coverage.

I also have a 1st Gear Thermo suit and use it for commuting. I've ridden with it in temps down to 17 degrees and it was warm enough for a 20 mile commute, but you could feel the cold starting to seep in toward the end. The Thermo suit is much easier to get on and off for commuting than plugging all the heated gear.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...Re0QaJJ27T9dZ69RavKqy3T2aNG5hm0X6SVw&usqp=CAE

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...553yYTD2_ujKiy6Zk-S9gq84uZglPpERCtQ3&usqp=CAE

I have Gerbing heated gear and it works great, especially on longer rides. I've ridden all day in 25 degree weather and was warm and comfortable. I have the microwire gear and the wife has the older with wires you can feel. It seems like the microwire gear gives more even coverage.

I also have a 1st Gear Thermo suit and use it for commuting. I've ridden with it in temps down to 17 degrees and it was warm enough for a 20 mile commute, but you could feel the cold starting to seep in toward the end. The Thermo suit is much easier to get on and off for commuting than plugging all the heated gear.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...Re0QaJJ27T9dZ69RavKqy3T2aNG5hm0X6SVw&usqp=CAE

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...553yYTD2_ujKiy6Zk-S9gq84uZglPpERCtQ3&usqp=CAE
Is the full suit heated? I like the looks of it.

I have good experience with Gerbing and Tourmaster 12V (plug-in) gear.
After I got my LT, the heated seat and grips convinced me active heating was the way to go.

I've not yet had a heated seat on a bike, but I do LOVE it in my truck, right along with the heated steering wheel! My fingers are always cold. Even on days that might not be that cold, I often run the heated steering wheel just because it feels good on my hands. I do the same thing on my 1200 GS. The nice thing about heated grips is that they are always there and you don't have to remember to pack them. However, if I don't have my electric vest and it is much below 50, even with the grips and thicker winter gloves my hands/toes will get cold. I waited a long time before I decided to get the vest, then I wondered why I had waited so long :doh:

I have good experience with Gerbing and Tourmaster 12V (plug-in) gear.
After I got my LT, the heated seat and grips convinced me active heating was the way to go.

Yes it is. Love the Wing with heated grips and seats. The Trophy only has heated grips, the seat is an option you can add but I haven't done it yet.

Gerbing here I have a full gerbing riding jacket with its own heated liner and heated gloves

Gerbing makes good stuff

Wish they would build a thermo suit with the heated elements built in and one connector. It should have a very generous neck wrap too.

Ken Phenix is a member here. He "builds" heated gloves from high quality riding gloves (my wife wears a pair of them), he's a Warm n Safe dealer, he repairs heated gear, and he has a stock of older Widder gear.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Ken Phenix... and he has a stock of older Widder gear.

I might have to check on that, just in case my vest wears out. I really like it. The only thing I don't like is that it has a two pronged plug at the vest that can be a bit fiddly when you are trying to plug it in, cannot see it, and you have on big winter gloves. My chord also only has a hi/lo setting. Something like a heat troller would be nicer.

Back