• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Texmoto's Top Ten Eateries in Texas

Reaction score
According to http://texmoto.com , these are the Top Ten Restaurants in Texas:

1 Coopers� BBQ, Llano
2 Chuy�s Tex Mex, Austin
3 Starbucks, Texas
4 Koffee Kup, Hico
5 Rudy�s BBQ, Texas
6 Salt Lick BBQ, Driftwood
7 Kreuz�s BBQ, Lockhart
8 Pappasita�s Cantina, Texas
9 Blue Bonnet Cafe, Marble Falls
10 Railhead BBQ, Fort Worth

(edited to fix bad texmoto link.)

:tab Interesting to see that Mac & Ernie's is not on that list!? Hands down they have the best quality and tasting food of any place I have eaten in a lonngggg time! I like Chuy's, but I think they get on the list so often simply because they are next door to Lone Star ;-)

Adios,

Starbucks

I agree with you Buck....Starbucks??? I'd put a franchise burger joint or any greasy spoon with character ahead of Starbucks. And number 3? It makes me wonder about this poll.

:tab I failed to particpate in the poll ;-) How about the rest of you? Anyone notice what the top websites were? I doubt if TWT is in there :eek: :-P

Adios,

They missed my favorite place in the state. The Country Tavern in Kilgore (30 minutes east of Tyler) on Hwy. 31. I could make a road trip from Austin just for that! Best ribs I have EVER had. Coopers BBQ sucks hind-tit by comparison. :chug:

Keep in mind that this is last years poll answers and not from the new poll that has just finished.

I did vote in TWT though Scott, I am happy to say. :chug:

Tourmeister said:
:tab Interesting to see that Mac & Ernie's is not on that list!? Hands down they have the best quality and tasting food of any place I have eaten in a lonngggg time!

Couldn't agree with you more, Mac & Ernie's serves food that approaches gourmet quality out of what looks like a taco stand. You need to post a bigger picture of the front of their "kitchen" (and maybe the back too :wink: ) for the benefit of those here who don't know about it.

The following I originally posted some time ago at Sport-Touring.net -

One of my favorite eating destinations is Joel's Bar-B-Q in Flatonia, Texas. I found a link to a story about it on the web here. It's about a 2-hour ride for me, but well worth the trip. Take exit 661 off of Interstate 10 or come in from the north like I do on FM 609 from La Grange. It's the prototypical BBQ joint, and if you've never had good, smoked Texas-style German sausage the way they make it at Joel's, you don't know what you're missing.

Closer to me is another little place named No Teeth Barbecue in the town of Rockdale. It's right on Hwy 79 near the middle of town. The owner claims that his brisket is so tender that "you don't need no teeth to eat it", (hence the name of his joint) and he's not exagerating too much. 8)

john likes barbeque

mr bennett likes barbeque, half the places he named were barbeque places. no pun intended just an observation. i like barbeque too.

:tab John did not make that list ;-) It was the result of reader polls from the Ride Texas magazine. But it would seem that here in Texas, BBQ is often at the top of the list of favorites for most people.

Adios,

Keep in mind that the group polled were riders. Wolfing down a big plate of BBQ with all the sides after a long day in the saddle will give you a food coma so severe that you'll forget all about how sore your butt is. :mrgreen:

Mac & Ernie's is located in the little town of Tarpley out in the Hill Country:

map.gif

Borrowed the map from their website: http://www.macandernies.com/

Mmmm... Mac & Ernie's... I think we may be paying them a visit this coming weekend ;-)

Adios,

For those who are travelling outside of Texas, I am the keeper of the ST.N Greasy Spoon Archive which covers the US and Canada. I have a website which contains an Excel spreadsheet, text and PDF versions of this list. The Excel version is Excel 2000 and some have used it on Windows based handhelds. The PDF is an Acrobat 5 version. There is also another STN user which has converted it into a Palm version.

It is even the top response for "greasy spoon archive" in Google with the STN thread coming in second.

Tourmiester have you been to Holy smokes since it changed hands I havent heard any input on the new owners. SEYA

Nope. Have not had any of their BBQ for some time. I never venture to that side of town because it gets me near the University. Too much traffic over there. I frequent McKenzie's though, excellent BBQ!

Adios,

:tab Hehe, bumped your own post because you did not follow the rules :lol: Well, at least we know you are not being partial... ;-)

Ack. What an awful list, judging from the central Texas choices. My wife and I have been studying central Texas BBQ and Tex-Mex for more than 30 years...since before the Salt Lick opened, even.

The Salt Lick, Cooper's, Rudy's, and Kreuz's are three Texas insitutions and one co-opted chain restaurant. SL, Cooper's and Kreuz's are famously popular, more for their ambiance than the taste of their smoked meats. Kreuz's can't even claim ambiance any more, since they moved out into that big barn. Mind, we go to all three on occasion, and enjoy ourselves, but great they ain't.

The Salt Lick, well, it's fun to ride out there, especially with a crowd, but please, the meat? You might as well eat at Luby's.

Cooper's meat is almost always overcooked, period. Wadn't like that 15 years ago, but that's the case today.

Rudy's stores in Austin are pure-dee chain-restaurant "BBQ" in name only. There's one about a mile from our house. I be we haven't been in there in ten years.

The central Texas holy trinity of BBQ joints is Black's in Lockhart, House Park in central Austin, and Donn's Texas BBQ out on 290 just past the "Y" in Oak Hill.

The Black family's been making smoked food down in Lockhart for decades, too, but have never been as popular as Kreuz's became in the last 20 years. The Blacks offer up sides, plates, even a spoon if you want it. They're the true kings of German-heritage meat smoking in the Lockhart area.

House Park's pit has had a fire in it for generations. The same guy has been tending that fire and the meats he cooks in it for at least the 30-odd years' I've been stopping in, through four different owners so far.

Donn's is an oddity, not an old place at all, but the same five or six guys have been working there for at least the last ten years. There is no Donn, by the way, nor is it directly affiliated with the other "Donn's" around town.

All three restaurants serve up tender, moist, smoky meats, juicy or lean, depending on your preference, with appropriate sides. Give 'em a try, go to the others when you want some of that famous ambiance.

Chuy's is a joke as a great Tex-Mex place. Aside from the words Tex-Mex in their logo and marketing, it's really more like New Mexico-Mex. What makes it so popular is margaritas.

There's lots of good Tex-Mex in Austin, but there's only one Amaya's Taco Village [well, actually there are two now, one down in Bastrop off the main drag]. The ambiance level is at exactly zero, in the Capital Plaza shopping center on IH35 just north of 51st St, but Bobby and Suzy Amaya have been turning out fabulous food since they moved here from the Corpus area decades ago. Each tortilla is hand made when you order your taco. Just look behind that McDonald's out on 35, and you'll find it, or try the Bastrop shop, behind the HEB.

If you disagree with me, you're wrong, get over it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ya left out Sam's BBQ. Again. :angryfir: If your a little adventuresome, Sam's is hard to beat in Austin. Nanner puddin' for dessert is pretty good too. I'm callin ya out!

food_second2-1.jpg

food_second2-1.jpg

Back