• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle first aid training

Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Last Name
Waugh
Ladies & Gentlemen, over the last 12 months I have attended many dual sport rides and made many friends, however we had a few crashes and I was a bit horrified by the general lack of first aid knowledge by most of the riders.
I thought it might be a good idea to arrange a group first aid training, the focus being on typical injuries seen in motorcycle accidents. I contacted an organization called Road Guardians, they offer two courses (each course takes a day and requires 7 hours each) a basic course and an advanced course. Each course costs $60 and if I can get 10 participants they are willing to give both courses over a single weekend. I have a large room available at my house that can handle 10+ people and am happy to provide refreshments if there are 10 people that want to attend the course. You could attend just the basic course $60 or both the basic and advanced $120, the choice is yours. No date has been set, the trainer (Michelle Inzunza RN) is quite open for dates so we could set it up in the next few months. The cost includes the books/certificates/patches and instruction.

I currently have 5 confirmed attendees, so am wondering if there are 5 or more others in the McKinney area that would like to attend? It’s not cheap, but the skills will last a lifetime and could save your or someone else’s life!! Seems like a good use of a weekend!!

If you have questions or just want to confirm that you would like to attend, let me know. I am hoping to arrange a training date and have an idea of the number of attendees by the end of next week (19th January), no money will be required until the day of the training.

Regards Gary

I'd be interested in the basic course - but you're a little far from me.

Austinites: perhaps we arrange something similar in our neck of the woods?

It would also be interesting or advantageous if the trainer could suggest a first aid kit that's small but covers what we'd most likely need.

Thinking for a bit: road rash is probably the big one, followed by broken ankle and then maybe collar bones or finger/hands? Or ribs & punctured lung? Or puncture wounds. OK, I guess there are a lot of possibilities...

I guess also figuring out how to be useful in more serious situations (deer / car collisions) would be good - but I doubt I'd be able to do more that dial 911 and block traffic (been there, done that).

Ladies & Gentlemen, over the last 12 months I have attended many dual sport rides and made many friends, however we had a few crashes and I was a bit horrified by the general lack of first aid knowledge by most of the riders.
I thought it might be a good idea to arrange a group first aid training, the focus being on typical injuries seen in motorcycle accidents. I contacted an organization called Road Guardians, they offer two courses (each course takes a day and requires 7 hours each) a basic course and an advanced course. Each course costs $60 and if I can get 10 participants they are willing to give both courses over a single weekend. I have a large room available at my house that can handle 10+ people and am happy to provide refreshments if there are 10 people that want to attend the course. You could attend just the basic course $60 or both the basic and advanced $120, the choice is yours. No date has been set, the trainer (Michelle Inzunza RN) is quite open for dates so we could set it up in the next few months. The cost includes the books/certificates/patches and instruction.

I currently have 5 confirmed attendees, so am wondering if there are 5 or more others in the McKinney area that would like to attend? It’s not cheap, but the skills will last a lifetime and could save your or someone else’s life!! Seems like a good use of a weekend!!

If you have questions or just want to confirm that you would like to attend, let me know. I am hoping to arrange a training date and have an idea of the number of attendees by the end of next week (19th January), no money will be required until the day of the training.

Regards Gary
I'd be interested in at least the basic course, maybe even the advanced

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Certainly would be a good idea for the west Houston contingent. 2017 Q4 was a little messy here.

I hope this doesn't break any TWT rules, if you are interested in reading more about the training, the WEB site is https://roadguardians.org/schedule/ and the 2 courses they are suggesting are the basic course (called the 100 course) and the advanced (called the 300 course). If you go to the home page, click on the classes button then select class schedule and it will show all the classes. in the middle of the 100 course is a banner marked "basic class curriculum" click on that to see what is covered and in the 300 course is a "Advanced class curriculum" that you can click to see the contents. Or you can go directly using these links:-

Basic curriculum:- https://roadguardians.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Basic-Class-Curriculum.21.pdf?x74424
Advanced curriculum:- https://roadguardians.org/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Advanced-Class-Curriculum.2.pdf?x74424

Road Guardians have assured me that the training is specifically focused on Motorcycle type of injuries..

Regards Gary

Last edited:
This is an awesome idea. Hope it goes well.

I agree with Jeff and hope we can set up similar events in different areas of the state.

Great idea.
The problem I have is having the equipment to assist a fallen rider . Hard to carry things. There shouldn't be any open wounds if we ride with our gear. Internal injuries are the issue. Splints have to be made on the field, so I carry wraps.
Everyone should know basic CPR just as a fellow human.
Hope an Austin class comes about.

Thanks for posting.

At the very least, makes me think , should probably carry a first aid kit.

And THIS is one of the main reasons I push for universal BASIC TRAINING for all 18-year-olds. The first-aid I learned in Basic, among many other useful things, has saved at least 3 lives, and reduced trauma in dozens more since 1970.
I think this is a great idea. Wonder if EMS has any courses for the public like the CPR.

Many thanks Mike, this is a great link, I really wanted a first aid course with more focus on splinting broken bones (arms, ribs, collarbones, etc) than the normal first aid course as those are the more common injuries that I have seen, and understanding how or if we should be moving an injured rider. I would recommend everyone take a basic first aid course, but the 2 courses I am proposing does cover everything that is included in a regular first aid course.

If you cant afford or don't have the time to attend the Road Guardian training the free first aid training is an excellent backup choice.

Gary

Thanks Everyone, I have reached 10 participants, so things look good, there is still room for more, so if you are interested let me know.
Next week (Jan 15-19th) I will contact everyone via email and get a list of dates to avoid and preferred dates to try and see if I can arrange the course on a day that everyone can attend.

Regards Gary

A great idea, and I hope to catch one eventually. As a former Medic and biker longer than that, I typically have a small bag. A large amount of, or very technical equipment isn't really needed. What's more important is to have some basic skills, and learning about operating in a roadside (or worse) environment. Protect yourself and the Patient. Good topic. Be safe.:rider::eat:

Great idea.
The problem I have is having the equipment to assist a fallen rider . Hard to carry things. There shouldn't be any open wounds if we ride with our gear. Internal injuries are the issue. Splints have to be made on the field, so I carry wraps.
Everyone should know basic CPR just as a fellow human.
Hope an Austin class comes about.

Thanks for posting.

SAM Splints are small and light.

9531_SAM%20Splint%20Roll.jpg

Its funny you should mention this, Dan Rubey just purchased some of those and showed them to me this weekend, I was not familiar with them!!

Gary

Take them out of the package and fold them flat. They will fit on packets, packs or tank bags.

While typically we need carry few medical thingies, some of us are used to carrying more. But whether one has medical supplies, tools or both, the training and staying calm are two of your best tools. No matter if the Bike or a buddy needs fixin', one can adapt and improvise.

A real important effort, besides calm actions, it to prevent the excited bystander from doing wrong things. Much of what they've seen from Hollywood is not accurate.

And remember the first priority is scene safety and management. Always.

Have you nailed down a date for this? Room for one more? I am very interested but my weekends fill up super fast.

Last edited:
Have you nailed down a date for this? Room for one more? I am very interested but my weekends fill up super fast.

I am working on a date, currently we are down to 2 possible weekends, March 31/April 1 or April 14/15. for the minute I have 2 people that prefer the first weekend and 5 people that cant make the first weekend, so It is probably going to have to be on the 14/15th April. There is room for several more people if you want to join.

Gary

Back