• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Ticket dismissal class

Reaction score
Got a speeding ticket on the VFR out on the three sisters a few weeks ago. Haven't had a violation in Texas, so was eligible to have it dismissed by doing a driver safety class and paying the court cost.

Thing is, I can't find a straight answer about what a "MOTC" is that is specified in the information packet. Apparently if the violation occurs on a bike, the course is not the same as if it occurred in a car. Of the dozens of online ticket dismissal classes, a few of them mention that is satisfies DSC/MOTC requirements, but when I call to confirm it is acceptable for a motorcycle violation, they can't give me a straight answer and refer me to check with the court. Called the court clerk if they could point to some approved providers, and they referred me to a DPS website link that lists all state approved defensive driver class providers. She seemed to use DSC (car) and MOTC (bike) terms interchangeably.

I found a couple threads here where this question was brought up and also found a very mixed bag of answers, and some were 8-10 years old and I've heard this stuff changed a couple years ago.

So- anyone get a speeding ticket on a bike in the last few years- what class satisfied the court requirement? Anyone have one to recommend around Austin?

No help to offer on the different classes but have you considered asking for deferred adjudication? I use it somewhat frequently. A bit more expensive if offered but you don't waste a day off your life.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I watch a video on line last time. I don’t know that there is difference for taking a defensive driver’s class. I have been let go at least two times when on my bike. Being nice goes a long ways. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Performance award last May. Only doing 75 in a 60. Luckily I didn't meet the DPS a couple of miles earlier, I'd probably got to ride in the black and white.

Took a soul killing on-line course. Saved $15 off of the $150 citation. The courses are all eligible.

Check with your insurance company, some don't increase rates for one infraction. If I'd known that, I'd have just paid the money.

Find a Experienced/Advanced or even an Intermediate Rider Class in your area. Here is a handy WebSite provided by the Texas Department of Public Safety that contains information about vendors who provide riding classes. Search by "TYPE OF TRAINING" and select Advanced. Each listing should contain verbage saying they are good for ticket dismissal. Frankly, this is the best way to get a ticket dismissed, you might even learn a few tricks. I even talked the City of Ingram into letting me take this training to dismiss a ticket I received in a car.

But, whatever you do, don't take the beginners classes for getting a motorcycle license. You may already know that these are three or four days long. You are looking for an all day, one day long class that will involve mostly riding. The class will probably schedule on Saturday. They don't always schedule them regularly, only when the class fills up. So, you will need to contact the vendor and let them know you are interested.

Find one you like, call them up, tell them what you want to do and hopefully they can help you.

Good luck.

You can take any class, motorcycle or defensive driving. There is no distinction or division based on what vehicle you were operating when the citation was issued. The courts are more accustomed to the DD completion certificate. I took the MSF rider class several years back and the court clerk had not seen that one before at all.

You can take any class, motorcycle or defensive driving. There is no distinction or division based on what vehicle you were operating when the citation was issued. The courts are more accustomed to the DD completion certificate. I took the MSF rider class several years back and the court clerk had not seen that one before at all.

That's sort of the impression I've got, but again can't seem to "confirm" that anywhere. The info packet I got from the court after sending in the ticket and form requesting to have it dismissed does specifically say "Motorcycle Operator Training Course", but the only specific it gives is "from a state approved provider" and that a certificate of completion needs to be given to the court.

I found ONE- and only one- class that seems to fit the bill. It's not until February, held at some Yamaha shop in Killeen, costs $100, and kills an entire 7-5 day. All others are the basic rider licensing classes, that cost $250+ and burn a whole weekend, or are nowhere near Austin.

MSF offers their "Continuing the Ride" intermediate course online for $20, and says it provides a completion certificate. Might give that a shot.

According to the web site I posted, Cowboy Harley Davidson offers an intermediate class good for ticket dismissal and they appear to be in SW Austin. As far as 7-5 full day, I think you are stuck there. Each class must adhere to a specific standardized test. And you might find some slight variance in cost, but probably not much, because everyone knows what every else charges. The ones I taken, charged one price for ticket dismissal and a lesser cost for the training class for things such as insurance premium reduction. You ride your own bike, almost the entire day is spent riding and there will be things to challenge your skills. Or if you are that good to show off your skills.

I think you are over thinking this. Most classes will work for dismissal, make sure you tell them it's for ticket dismissal, get your certificate and submit with payment as instructed.

I've had two tickets (while riding) "dealt with" by taking Defensive Driving. As one previous poster said, the finances weren't that great (I saved only a nominal amount of money by taking the course), but I do like having a clean driving record. IMO, tickets on one's record are probably viewed poorly by any LEO one may encounter in the future, and may affect that LEO's writing yet another ticket (because if the rider is out there obtaining citations he must be a problem of some kind). It can be taken online somewhat cheaper than the ones held in a classroom format. I believe that the rules also state you can only avail yourself of the benefits of DD every two years.

Its all about the $$$$$$, ask for deferred adjudication, pay the fees and move on with your life. For me, my time is worth money, I always just paid them what they wanted and moved on.

Got a speeding ticket on the VFR out on the three sisters a few weeks ago. Haven't had a violation in Texas, so was eligible to have it dismissed by doing a driver safety class and paying the court cost.

It is up to the Judge as to which safety class must be taken,, many insist on a motorcycle course for a motorcycle citation...There is no state law covering this.

As your packet said motorcycle course, that is what the Judges county clerk is expecting to see.
So either the Basic course or basic 2 course meets the requirement (Note, technically ARC also meets the state requirements, but I have heard court clearks refusing to except it because it is a "Advanced" course, vice the basic "Safety" course mandated

Most take the Basic 2 (What used to be called Experienced Riders course) because its cheaper and only 5 hours. vice more $$ and 2 days plus the on line pre course.

Last edited:
I’m a Justice of the Peace and I kinda hate to step into this but here goes. As to demanding a motorcycle specific course, that’s at the Judge’s discretion; I don’t but some do. You should be able to find a Texas approved course online for $25. By state law, they shall not charge more than that for an online Defense Driving Course (DDC). You can use a DDC once every 12 months to have most citations dismissed. Some violations (speeding >25 MPH over the limit, speeding over 100 MPH, etc.) can’t be dismissed with a DDC. I advise offenders they may want to check with their insurance agent to see if one ticket will affect their rate because if it doesn’t, you won’t usually save enough money doing a DDC to be worth it.

Much easier but more expensive to get a deferral. Good luck and, BTW, I can’t give any legal advice.

Last edited:
Be glad you can get a ticket dismissed . We can`t do that with CDL licences :headbang:

Be glad you can get a ticket dismissed . We can`t do that with CDL licences :headbang:

Yep that is always in the back of my mind. I try to keep my speed reasonable but sometimes I find myself unknowingly over. I have been lucky to only receive warnings. Sometimes I wonder if they have mercy since it is a CDL.

I took it on line. Like 7 hours and they mailed me a driving record and course record to take and pay ticket. I took it because if I had got another ticket within a year there would be no mercy extended. These days with insurance bundling, two tickets can cause your bundle to go up. My ticket in Williamson county at the Jonah speed trap on Hwy. 29 was 250 bucks for 60 in a 45. The course was like 70 and ticket was like 80. Saved a little but it is not on my record.
I got a DWI in 1986 and it remains on my record for eternity. I also got it from The Peoples Republic of Georgetown in Williamson county. They have several sweet spots that go from 65 to 45 and they use them for quotas, IMO.
Big $$$$ Rice's crossing or the redneck toll road, is another trap on 973. The city of Thrall Hwy. 79.

Attachments

• Buford T Justice.jpg
    Buford T Justice.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:
Just as an update/closure here, I did the MSF intermediate "street strategies" eCourse, and seems it was accepted as a valid "MOTC" program. I got the paperwork a few weeks later stating the ticket had been dismissed.

The MSF e-course is $20 and takes like 2 hours. So all in, it cost $102 for court fees, $20 for the class, and $12 for the DPS driving record, and the ticket is wiped off your record.

For anyone wondering, this is the link
https://www.msf-usa.org/ssecourse.aspx

Last edited:
Next time, just take it to a ticket lawyer. For about the same price as the fines and courses (and much less trouble) they can literally make a ticket go away. Last ticket I got was for about 25 over in McCulloch County. I took it to a lawyer in Odessa. He negotiated a reduced fine, no points, and half the time on the deferred adjudication. I had to do nothing but write a check for about 275 bucks. Totally worth it to me.

Last edited:
Next time, just take it to a ticket lawyer. For about the same price as the fines and courses (and much less trouble) they can literally make a ticket go away. Last ticket I got was for about 25 over in McCulloch County. I took it to a lawyer in Odessa. He negotiated a reduced fine, no points, and half the time on the deferred adjudication. I had to do nothing but write a check for about 275 bucks. Totally worth it to me.

I have tried this on 2 occasions and both times the attorney was useless, I felt the judge would have been more lenient if I had defended myself. Glad it works for you, but for me both times the legal fees cost far more than the fine and the lawyer failed to get it downgraded, they might have got the fine reduced, but their legal costs far exceeded any reduction in the fine!! seems a very expensive way to try and get rid of a ticket, traffic school seems to be a better financial bet.

Gary

For any possibly unaware, deferred adjudication has risks. Another moving violation during your deferred period (usually 3-6 months) then the ticket reverts back to original points and fine. Therefore I'll only do deferred if DDC is not an option. Better to have a guaranteed clean ticket wipe and less money out of pocket. Online DDC is very painless.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

For any possibly unaware, deferred adjudication has risks. Another moving violation during your deferred period (usually 3-6 months) then the ticket reverts back to original points and fine.

Another thing I learned back in my I-go-150-MPH-everywhere-and-constantly-hire-a-lawyer-because-I-get-pulled-over-so-often days: A good ticket lawyer can tie up the second ticket until the deferment goes though.

more-you-know.jpg

For any possibly unaware, deferred adjudication has risks. Another moving violation during your deferred period (usually 3-6 months) then the ticket reverts back to original points and fine. Therefore I'll only do deferred if DDC is not an option. Better to have a guaranteed clean ticket wipe and less money out of pocket. Online DDC is very painless.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

True, Last online DDC class I took was a beating though. I was a true waste of time. I'd rather not deal with it and take my chances adjudication. :giveup: I did do the differed once and did get another ticket during the probation period. I wouldn't recommend it if you think you might get pulled over. It was pretty ridiculous and the cop was sneaky. I was super careful for the 6 months. This was in the last week. I did speed though. She was just a jerk about it and I was only going a few MPH over. They didn't catch the adjudication though. I didn't say anything and took the DDC to reduce the fine on the second ticket. Neither ticket ended up on my record luckily. Farther proof that they really don't care about you speeding, but want your money. YMMV.....

Back