• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

3 Medina County 250 Adventure Motorcycle Ride - Saturday, 1/20/18-Castroville, Texas

Here's a video of part of our ride leading up to Bill's accident. The turn that got him is at about 21:00. I was talking to my wife at the time on the bluetooth, so if you listen closely, right after I get through the corner, you can hear my reaction to Bill's accident. I think I got freaked out a bit seeing Bill's accident in my mirror, that I might have been in a bit of shock. I know I saw Bill go off the road, but I can't even remember what I saw. When I first got to Bill, it looked like the bike was on his feet so I pushed it off. It then looked like a horrifying angle at the bottom of his legs, so I thought both his legs were broken right above the ankles. Fortunately it was only that his boots were loose and partially off. Looking back at the video, and knowing that Bill is okay, just a little (lot) sore, it's a bit humorous. I asked him, "Are you okay?" His response, "I think so, but I've gotta stop hurting." :lol2:

Bill, I really hope you stop hurting soon.

[ame="https://youtu.be/wG5PebsEZnQ"]https://youtu.be/wG5PebsEZnQ[/ame]

Hey I found that Urals are a little too heavy to climb game fences! Thanks to everyone for all the help and assistance, those in Sander's group that gave up the ride to stay, I owe you all a lot, maybe a breakfast at a future ride for a small start. I really owe Sander, Fred, and Justin more than I can repay for staying with the bike until the tow truck finally got there, I think about 6PM, and Justin for seeing my rig back home. THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH.
The ER cleared me after poking, pushing and prodding, then x-raying my hips, the sorest part of me . No broken or cracked bones just pulled strained or bruised mussles and tendons I guess. I am now ensconced in my Lazy Boy in front of the TV where I will spend most of my time for a few days until I can move about less painfully.
Again thanks a lot to everyone and I am sorry to have ruined your day. I am looking forward to seeing all of you again on another ride soon. - Bill

Yes, we are looking forward to seeing you back..dont be discouraged.

I was thinking to myself that the group of riders I was with looked like pro riders as I watched their cornering ability from behind. (Sander keath, mike? W/ a.t. and others i forgot) I have a lot to learn!

So, how did the mighty Strom do on Saturday? Sorry we never crossed paths again after breakfast.

Hey bud... thanks for your support. I was too busy thinking i could keep up with sander:eek:.

Storm is doing everything it is intended for, being good (not great ) at everything. High speed 80mph touring (and beyond) A+. Transforming into magnificant light weight Beta 500, not so much:lol2:.

A couple of the corners were sketchy on the freshley graded marble stuff with the battlax street treadz but managed to keep it vertical. I actually took a blind corner jog a little too hot and had to dump the speed in little run off area mound. I had my gps view too close so I couldn't tell that the corner was there untill it was to late. Panned out the gps view a little and it was much more informative about the oncoming route. Could always catch up on the straight aways.

I am happy with it so far, but i could see that it would be transformed into a different machine with a pair of more capable Mitas lugz on it (which would also serve to soak up the rough surface more also).

Yes, we are looking forward to seeing you back..dont be discouraged.

I was thinking to myself that the group of riders I was with looked like pro riders as I watched their cornering ability from behind. (Sander keath, mike? W/ a.t. and others i forgot) I have a lot to learn!

Ha! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one who felt like that. I was probably holding up the riders behind me with my slow turns so if you were behind me I apologize. There were some good riders ahead of me and I saw some nice turns behind me in my mirrors.

I had a great time and definitely left thinking I need to work on my gravel turning technique and yes even my confidence.

Really glad to hear Bill is fine. Hope to see you back on the bike soon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quick question, how do you find the place? Darndest website I've ever seen, doesn't give a clue on where it is except that it is located "about 30 minutes West of San Antonio". :brainsnap. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough. :shrug:
White Knuckle Ranch:

107 Co Rd 355, Hondo, TX 78861

29.400101,-99.042777

It's at the corner of 445 & 355.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

How did you know, was it posted somewhere?
Honestly, I don't remember! ;) I have it saved in Google Maps from years ago.

I took my son there several times starting back in 2013. Chris is super friendly and helped my son with lots of racing tips when he was just starting. We haven't been there for a couple of years, though.

Last edited:
Man Justin, watching the video was tough. Your approach to Bill not knowing what you would find...good job!

[ame="https://youtu.be/wG5PebsEZnQ"]https://youtu.be/wG5PebsEZnQ[/ame]

Glad to hear Bill is on the mend with no major problems.
Thanks Sander for organizing this. I had a great time.
I got a flat on my front tire.
William Wolfen helped me take it off. We took the tube out and aired it up and it held air. What the heck.
I decided to put a new tube in.
It did not hold air. Took it out and two cracks near the valve stem. Did not look like we pinched it. It was not an old tube either. So put the original tube in and it held. Strange for sure. Richard said it probably was a malfunction of the valve. That Heidenau K60 tire is pure **** to mount in the field.
Lesson learned -- air up a flat first then see if you need to take it off. LOL
Thanks William for helping.

Last edited:
William Wolfen helped me take it off. We took the tube out and aired it up and it held air. What the heck.
It did not hold air. Took it out and two cracks near the valve stem. Did not look like we pinched it. It was not an old tube either. So put the original tube in and it held. Strange for sure. Richard said it probably was a malfunction of the valve. That Kenda tire is pure **** to mount in the field.

I spoke with William briefly at the crash when y'all dropped by. He said y'all were leaving that evening and it was getting late then. What time did y'all get back to houston? Long day I'm sure.

What time did y'all get back to houston?

We got to William's house in Cypress at 10 pm.

It did not hold air. Took it out and two cracks near the valve stem. Did not look like we pinched it. It was not an old tube either. So put the original tube in and it held. Strange for sure. Richard said it probably was a malfunction of the valve. That Kenda tire is pure **** to mount in the field.
It was a pain all right, but only the tube was a Kenda, the tire was a Heidenau K60. they have a reputation for that, unfortunately!

Corrected my post. Thanks ---- Its Monday for sure for me.

Thank you for organizing the ride. Met some great riders, hope to ride with you guys in the future. Phil R1200GS with yellow crash bars

Thank you for organizing the ride. Met some great riders, hope to ride with you guys in the future. Phil R1200GS with yellow crash bars

I saw your bike a couple times on the move...wow, stands out in the crowd :eek:

This was the best time I had just checking out all the great variety of bikes :-D

Back