• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Raising my bars

Swagfu

Reaction score
So I am considering rising my bars on my 90 cbr1000f. But instead of buying a pre-made kit like helibars, genmar or convertibar, I am looking at buying clipons from another motorcycle with the same fork tube diameter. I think the cbr is a 41mm fork tube, but so is the Kawasaki Concours. The Kawi bars look to be about the perfect height.

Do you guys think they would work without too much or any modification? I think they would, but before I spend the money to get some, I wanted to get some other opinions. Maybe I am missing something. I know the VFR bars would work, but they aren't tall enough.

What do you think?

Maybe you could try them before buying. Unless you get a cheap enough set you can resell if they don't work. Measure carefully, the angles involved turning handlebars seem really weird when it comes to lining things up around fairings and such.

EDIT: If you use Kawi parts will you have doo-hickey problems?

Last edited:
Looks like I will have to find something different. The ones that will fit on the fork tubes do not have any pull back to them. They would hit the front fairing even without turning the bars. Bummer.

Do you have a hammer? A hammer will make anything fit.

hammer%20welder.jpg

Simplistic way is to buy some tag bars with the tag mounts and see if your top triple clamp are thick enough and strong enough to support the mounts and the bars. Be careful here as if that clamp comes loose or breaks off with wheelies or stoppies your smoked. I did a GPZ750 in 84 by installing GPZ1100 bars on it and it worked great. See if something off of another Honda might work (like CBR1100XX). You know someone has done this already...

What are tag mounts and bars? I have never heard of them, but would love to look into it. I don't ride wheelies or do stoppies. I didn't even do those back in the 80's when all my friends were going crazy doing that stuff. I have always ridden like a grandpa....lol. Ok, maybe not always...

Looks significantly more comfortable.

Looks significantly more comfortable.

I only got to ride it for about 10 minutes. Will take a little bit to get used to. They are a bit wider than stock position. From what I rode though, they fell pretty good...especially on my back.:-P

Looks like you have some room on the flats to slide the grips/controls in, you may be able to cut them down a little.

That's the plan right now. I am thinking 1/2 to inch on each side. Right now, at full lock, the end of the bars hit the mirrors. Hopefully I will have time in the next couple of weeks to get it done. Working too much ride right now anyway.

Back