• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Beam Me Up... (The Beemer Thread)

I lost my jugs the other day.

c061995477c4380590f61ab1af39d92a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did Lone Star go out of business? I was completely oblivious to the 'move', but it looks like they are now part of Woods.

On the dealer topic: I am going to satiate my Boxer curiousity with the R1200RS, is any D/FW dealer recommended now days ?
It seems like they are all flaky and over committed. I hope to never need a service tech and do all maintenance but a quality tech staff is probably important when buying one of these weird things.;-)

The owners sold the business to Woods and retired. Jesus wept.

I just bought my first BMW (my first non-Japanese bike). I moved from Austin to Arlington, so there's not as much reason for me to be upset, but somehow I am upset nonetheless.

I bought 2 bikes from Woods, and honestly, neither of those transactions impressed me much. Lone Star always stood out as a high quality shop, for the more discerning rider. I only ever purchased some accessories and apparel there, but I was always felt good about stepping into the shop, and I always thought that I would one day buy a bike from them. Guess I waited too long.

On the dealer topic: I am going to satiate my Boxer curiousity with the R1200RS, is any D/FW dealer recommended now days ?
It seems like they are all flaky and over committed. I hope to never need a service tech and do all maintenance but a quality tech staff is probably important when buying one of these weird things.;-)

Are you buying a new one (under warranty) or used? If you are not worried about the factory warranty, i.e. because it has expired, then I think there are more options for getting your R1200RS serviced. The beauty of the "R" bikes is that you can do much of the maintenance yourself, if you are so inclined. I just bought my first BMW ('09 R1200RT). I picked that year in part because many experienced owners on other forums said that it is a good year for shade tree mechanic work. I don't know how the RS differs from the RT (or GS) in terms of maintenance, but for the RT, I have found several detailed videos for oil change, spark plug replacement, valve adjustment, final drive gear oil change, and alternator belt replacement. All of that covers a significant part of the required maintenance on these bikes.

Since I just bought my BMW, I can't yet recommended any local service shops. I ended up buying my bike from EuroTek in Oklahoma City. There is a really nice '09 RT down in Boerne (Alamo BMW), but I don't want another bike with black paint, so I went up to OKC to get the silver one.

I did look at bikes over at Eurosport Cycles (Fort Worth). They seemed pretty laid back, but I don't know if they are a good place to buy a bike from (or a good place to have it serviced).

Boxer-Philia....I has it.

Buying new.
I have the color and options spec'd, the new machines are so technology rich, I worry about that aspect of reliability. Dang things are pricey too !

I assume any dealership allowed to sell BMW has qualified tech to support the brand. :doh: I have assumed before.

If there is an absolutely bad dealer in D/FW please let me know.

Boxer-Philia....I has it.

I assume any dealership allowed to sell BMW has qualified tech to support the brand. :doh: I have assumed before.

I have made this assumption too, made me learn more about the bike than I wanted to. :giveup:

Now, where to I get my hands on a set boxer cases and jugs? :trust:

Ultimate%20Beer%20Tap_zpsjq7mupzi.jpg

Y'all failed to tell me that bolting a motorcycle to an airplane engine is FANTASTIC ! Quite possibly the best bike I have ridden in the 12 I have owned, time will tell if I discover things it won't do well. Good stuff.

Attachments

• 039 (Medium).jpg
    039 (Medium).jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Y'all failed to tell me that bolting a motorcycle to an airplane engine is FANTASTIC ! Quite possibly the best bike I have ridden in the 12 I have owned, time will tell if I discover things it won't do well. Good stuff.

Nice bike; good going! :thumb:

Currently riding '13 F800gs, very happy with bike, use it for commute to work;Big Bend, and rides in hill country (pavement and dirt/gravel). Lately have been doing more rides with wife,just did 300+ miles on "painted church tour". Looked at 2015 rt last week, looks to be very comfortable w/large fairing, stereo, etc. Have never had a touring bike before,(coming off sport bikes-sv1000 Suzuki in garage, ridden around block every so often). Also contemplating 1200gsw, would enable more possibilities while riding, I think. Any feedback on long distance touring on gs?

Last edited:
Next time you're in the neighborhood post up. Lots of us riding in Fayette, Gonzales and surrounding counties. Nothing an F800GS can't handle.

I have an RT in the stable and love it. If keeping two bikes, go with an RT and keep the lighter BMW dirty work. Having an 800 and a 1200 GS would be a lot of overlap. If keeping only one, then the questions is how much passing power do you need.

It would be in addition to f800. Ride to Houston 6-8 times a year, running lower gearing which works great on jeep roads, not so much on I10. I would think the lc gs and rt would be close on passing power(although gs has lower geared final drive). Wondering more about ergonomics and comfort,this will be my retirement gift; will be 63 in July.

I went with the RT because my BMW 650 didn't have the passing power two up and my wife will only ride pillion on tarmac. Mine is a 1100 and I can do those two-up 75 to 90 mph squirts to pass a truck on the interstate no problem. The RT is no sport bike, but is a good handling sport tourer with good wind protection, plenty of luggage and easily carries two people (or one) in comfort. I can't offer a comparison of an 1200GS vs a 1200RT, but I like having that big electrically adjustable windshield, especially when it is cold out.

Currently riding '13 F800gs, very happy with bike, use it for commute to work;Big Bend, and rides in hill country (pavement and dirt/gravel). Lately have been doing more rides with wife,just did 300+ miles on "painted church tour". Looked at 2015 rt last week, looks to be very comfortable w/large fairing, stereo, etc. Have never had a touring bike before,(coming off sport bikes-sv1000 Suzuki in garage, ridden around block every so often). Also contemplating 1200gsw, would enable more possibilities while riding, I think. Any feedback on long distance touring on gs?

I purchased a 2014 NEW R 1200 GS Adventure, Completed a few long distant rides. Most recently off a 3500 mile ride up into Montana. The 1200 GS bikes have diff gearing then the RT for the road from what I see in their specs, plus diff tires. I can say the GS is more truck like in it's carrying capacity, The Bike is a very capable long distant touring bike. What I've noticed you'd need another Seat, even then I don't know how that'd work compared to the RT comfort, I have an airhawk 2 and after 400 mile days I'm hurting. If your just staying on blacktop I'd say go with the RT since you already have the 800 GS. Thinking of adding an RT to my stable for ride specific roads. I'm sure there's others with opinions. By all means ride an RT if you can'

Dutch-I put a Touratech seat on the 800,made a world of difference,(along with LD Comfort shorts). Have an Airhawk on passenger seat. Anyone have any experience touring 2 up on GS1200?

Pulled the trigger last weekend on '15 R1200gs. Rode to work all week, trip with wife to Two brothers BBQ (highly recommended), 150 mile trip this Saturday to Center Point, backroads on return trip(all paved). Very impressed with bike, wife even says she is more comfortable due to being closer to ground. Just mounted Continental "Trail Attack 2" front and rear. Came with Cheng Shin on back and TKC80 on front-front was extremely noisy. What can I expect with these tires on dirt/gravel roads? Our local club's fall dual sport ride is approaching, thinking of trying it instead of F800gs.

I have Continental "Trail Attack 2 on my 2014 BMW GSA, I love them. I've had the Heidenau Scout K 60 tires thinking I was going to do more off road riding then I actually did. those tires are very noisy. The GS and GSA are very heavy expensive bikes, great for dirt / gravel roads and the occasional trail, nothing technical. The Continental "Trail Attack 2 after a 4 thousand mile trek hardly looks worn. If your doing lots of Trail / technical type of riding, mud what not I'd suggest a lighter bike. But to each their own I love my GSA.

Our dual sport rides are all dirt/gravel public roads, nothing technical (except for some water crossings). Probably going to keep 800 (with tkc80's), just want to see how 1200 handles dirt roads.

I haven't had any issues on dirt roads with The Continental "Trail Attack 2. I think they er a 70 / 30 tire maybe even 80 / 20, they will get you where you gotta go.

When did BMW change their split indicator switches to the "universal" single switch?

Asking for a friend who is increasingly tempted by all the affordable-looking GS units popping up in the classifieds. :)

Back