TWT Forums  

Go Back   TWT Forums > General Discussion > General Bike Maintenance and Assistance

Notices

Forum Jump

Old 06-10-2017, 05:39 PM   #1
ntklr650

Unhappy Front Brake advise needed.

So I am having a little issue I could use some advice on. I recently bought a 01 KLR650 from a forum member and have been working to get it dialed in. the last 2 days I was hearing a grinding noise on the front and I assumed a stuck caliper. A few light taps with a hammer and it went away for a bit so I decided to replace the brake pads yesterday when it came back. The right side pad was all the way to metal and the left pad had 3/16th of brake material left.
I took it apart and to replace the pads and I used a c-clamp to push the piston back into the caliper. I placed the new pads in and reassembled on the bike.
When I went to grab the front brake lever it has no resistance at all. The caliper does however bend the disc over as you pull on it.
I’m not sure if the caliper is not sliding to center as it actuates or something else is wrong. I am also not sure about the brake handle have not resistance.
I have not bled the system but since I did not open it up I don't know what would have happened to the brake fluid.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

New status: On two wheels again.
Old status: In between bikes right now
ntklr650 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #2
humanrace

Re: Front Brake advise needed.

If one side wore faster than the other, the pins that allow the caliper to float are sticking and possibly completely stuck. Another possibility is the rectangular section O-ring on the brake piston has lost it's resilience. The stiction/resiliency of the O-ring is what pulls the piston ever so slightly back from the disk when the brake is released. If the O-ring is old, it quits doing its job. If you removed the caliper from the bike when you replaced the pads, you introduced air into the system. In any case, there is air in your system.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #3
_RG_

Sounds like it's time show that KLR some LOVE. Take the caliper off and clean stuff up. Brakes are one of those handier things to have. Not related to your current issue but the stock lines are probably well past their prime. Stainless makes a noticeable difference. FWIW.. anytime you press in the piston - for goodness sake - work the lever until you get brakes before saddling up. Sounds like you found the noise maker but just for kicks, check the front wheel for play in the bearings.
Old 06-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
ntklr650

So most of the good upgrades were done to this bike. Ebc brake rotor and SS brake lines.
I just finished cleaning it up and regreaseing the slide. I have been trying to bleed the brakes with a hose and syringe. I got a big bubble of air at first and then clean brake fluid. When I went back to the brake handle, nothing had changed. So I went back to bleeding and more air. Repeated the same thing several more times till the kids had to go to bed. Not sure what's the next step?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold

Old 06-12-2017, 01:46 AM   #5
Tourmeister
Keeper of the Asylum

If you are not seeing fluid leaking out somewhere, then you have air in the system or perhaps the master cylinder piston is leaking by its seals. There's not much else that can cause that symptom. Even if you had old weak rubber hoses that expanded when you pulled on the lever, you would still feel some resistance.

Total Forum Supporter Donations For November: $33.96 - Previous Month: $635.07 - Record High: Jan 16 $1539.42 - 111 Current Forum Supporters out of 20871 Users (0.53%)
Support TWT by shopping at Amazon

The number one rule for this forum!
Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen. Eph 4:29 (NIV)
Think before you post. Leave out the vulgarity, personal attacks and foul language!

Quote:
"However lofty the goals, if the means be depraved, the result must reflect that depravity." - Leonard E. Read

Lies are fragile. They require constant attentiveness to keep them alive. The exposure of a single truth can rip through an ocean of lies, evaporating it instantly. - Brandon Smith

If you want government to intervene domestically, you’re a liberal. If you want government to intervene overseas, you’re a conservative. If you want government to intervene everywhere, you’re a moderate. If you don’t want government to intervene anywhere, you’re an extremist. — Joe Sobran

It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.' But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance. – Murray N. Rothbard

When one possessed of the Truth suffers from a heavy heart he is susceptible to a more dangerous affliction — the craving for power to eradicate error, to cause Truth to triumph by force. - Frank Chodorov

Where politicians flourish, long history has harshly taught us, people and their liberty wither. Where the state is god and the "public interest" worshipped, individual man will be found bleeding upon the altar. - Karl Hess

The accepted wisdom is that without the state, society would collapse into lawlessness and crime. In fact, lawlessness and crime define the very nature of the state and the society organized by it. - Bionic Mosquito

But the myth of the rule of law does more than render the people submissive to state authority; it also turns them into the state's accomplices in the exercise of its power. For people who would ordinarily consider it a great evil to deprive individuals of their rights or oppress politically powerless minority groups will respond with patriotic fervor when these same actions are described as upholding the rule of law. - John Hasnas
Tourmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:44 AM   #6
CleatusJ

Tape/tie the handle down for several hours and the ir should bleed to the reservoir by it self. It does not always work, but does most of the time.
CleatusJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #7
jfink
Forum Supporter

If I had to guess, I think that you may need to clean the slider pins. There is also grease specifically for these pins. After you compressed the caliper pistons, there is always a little pumping on the brake handle to move the pistons back into position. Until they are fully engaged on both sides, there will be no resistance at the lever. It is also not unusual for one side of the caliper to engage the rotor first, but if it is actually torquing the rotor, it would again suggest that the slider pins are sticking and need to be cleaned or replaced.

'04 Goldwing (ich bin eine Deutschlander) (US States and Canadian Provinces)
'11 KTM 990 Dakar (all 23 countries in South, Central and North America)
'14 KTM 500 Exc
'14 BMW GTL Exclusive
'17 KTM Super Duke GT

Where I have ridden

Last edited by jfink; 06-13-2017 at 08:20 AM.
jfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #8
humanrace

The pins jfink is talking about are the most likely cause of the uneven wear on your pads.
"For that day a large wisdom came to me. There was a great light, and I saw clear, and I knew that it was not for money that a man must live, but for a happiness that no man can give, or buy, or sell, and that is beyond all value of all money in the world." Sitka Charlie, Eskimo.
humanrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2017, 09:56 PM   #9
Thrasherg

Can you get it to McKinney (intersection of Custer and 380)? I will be happy to help you disassemble the caliper, clean the pins, bleed the system and get it all sorted. Plan on it taking 3 hours and we can do it any evening this week or the weekend.

Gary
14 CBR500RR (Daughter #2)
06 CRF450X (Mine)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
05 & 06 CRF450X (spares for friends!)

Last edited by Thrasherg; 06-13-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:25 AM   #10
Thrasherg

No interest? whatever you do, best of luck getting it fixed, still very happy to help you if you want.

Gary
14 CBR500RR (Daughter #2)
06 CRF450X (Mine)
05 CRF230F (Wife's)
06 CRF250X (Daughter #2)
02 Gas Gas TXT200
05 & 06 CRF450X (spares for friends!)
Thrasherg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 11:37 AM   #11
ntklr650

Hey Gary, I appreciate your offer. Sorry I did not get back soon. Been dealing with some health issues. Let me see if I can get it safe enough to ride or borrow a trailer.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2001 KLR-650
1987 KLR-650 - Sold
2005 Vulcan 750 - Sold