• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Million Dollar Hwy notes July14

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

Some of you ride my home road of highway 550 in Colorado, otherwise known as the Million Dollar Highway. We were there (driving-family) and did the entire Durango-Rico-Ouray-Silverton loop late last week.

Some notes and cautions for motorcycle riders:
-- the monsoon rains have maybe arrived
--cloudburst events are causing chaotic huge rains and road flooding with mud, rocks, boulders and trees
--they have almost finished the cleanup just south of Ouray, so that traffic stop is a short wait after the enormous rock slide of ten days ago
--road resurfacing and striping is finally done, and they have added a center road/stripe "rumble strip" to help remind riders/trucks/drivers to not cross into the oncoming lane on the many tight, variable radius curves.

I did not rent/ride this trip due to family obligations, and also the wild weather patterns. By the way, the forest fires are mostly out due to the rains. But, the burn scars are high risk for landslides and flash floods.

Be careful on this road, it can be treacherous. Keep your eyes on your riding, and not the incredible scenery. If you do want to stop, pull over at a safe spot, and don't get too close to the edge as it can be crumbly.

My home of SW CO needs your tourist dollars! Between the drought/fires/floods/train stopped the economy is hurting. Do note the San Juan National Forest is fully open for business, and the steam trains are running again. Given that, be very careful with any open fires. And yes the moose are out and about west of Silverton.

thanks,
Lucydad
aka The Durango Kid

Thanks for the warning. That highway can be interesting at times. I've usually had good experiences there, rain notwithstanding. But 4 years ago I came through southbound. From Ouray toward Silverton there was a lot of construction which not only caused traffic stops, it resulted in lots of gravel on a number of switchbacks - as if those naked curves aren't daunting enough without gravel. Perhaps more dangerous was that the construction left long lines of traffic bunched together. From Silverton toward Durango, a number of frustrated drivers started making reckless passes, trying to make up time.

It's different every time I ride or drive that road. But it's never uninteresting.

Only been on it once, about 7 years ago and don't remember hardly anything about it since I was so focused on the road. Brenda, however, got a good view from the pillion seat. ;-)

I also got caught last year in the major road resurfacing project. It is all done.

Another thought: for those of us living at sea level, the altitude change up to 9000-10,000 feet plus can be a big issue. Personally I think it is best to spend a few days at lower altitudes before riding/driving these passes.

Be safe!

Another thought: for those of us living at sea level, the altitude change up to 9000-10,000 feet plus can be a big issue. Personally I think it is best to spend a few days at lower altitudes before riding/driving these passes.

Be safe!

It also helps to stay well hydrated. On the drive there, I avoid sugary drinks and foods, and drink water only. It’s the same while there. I also limit myself to one, maybe two, beers in the evening with a meal, but no hard booze. It really helps keep the bad effects of altitude a bay.

I will second hydration as a priority in the high-super dry mountain air. I use a nasal-saline gel also to prevent nose bleeds.

I've never had a problem with altitude sickness. But I totally agree that hydration is a first-line defense against it, including getting headaches. Also, carry Carmex or other lip balm and use it frequently and liberally. If your lips start chapping, that's a sure sign that you're already getting behind the curve on hydration.

I've never had a problem with altitude sickness.
I'll give you two ways to do it.

1. First day there, snowboard all day while drinking and eating very little. Then go into the bar with your family member who is a local and known by everyone and the bartender hooks you up with a tall cold beer that you are so thirsty you suck straight down, and the bar is in a town at above 9K feet. :giveup:

2. Be 7 years old from Dallas and try to keep up with the local kids at 9K+ feet altitude trying to show them how fast you are on a bicycle. :rofl:

We are presently contributing to the Durango economy. Unfortunately, we aren't on 2 wheels this time. The rains have been coming each afternoon, but so far, quite pleasant. We had some very heavy rains for short stints over the weekend, but this week has been the more gentle afternoon rains. There was a flash flood warning yesterday afternoon and some lightning that ran us off from fly fishing! Didn't seem like waving a carbon composite rod around was a good idea. We'll be on the Silverton train this weekend, with less guilt or concern about fire due to the recent rains.

Can't beat the weather overall. By no means are they out of drought, but things are pretty green. Beautiful cool mornings and the afternoon cloud cover has kept temps down in the afternoon. Folks here seem to complain about what they call "humidity" but I think they are misusing that word. If you're fortunate enough to make it out this way on two wheels, I envy you.

Of course, while here I've started preliminary plans for a CDR ride. We'll see if life gets in the way

Folks here seem to complain about what they call "humidity" but I think they are misusing that word.
That's funny, really funny, since I see you are from the Dallas area where that word is also very misused. Therefore, it must mean it is very misused up there. :giveup: :rofl:

That's funny, really funny, since I see you are from the Dallas area where that word is also very misused. Therefore, it must mean it is very misused up there. :giveup: :rofl:

I have no illusions about Dallas humidity compared to Houston, deep East Texas, most of Louisiana, etc . . . but Dallas has its fair share, particularly after the rare summer afternoon storm.

Maybe its the temperature up here, but whatever it is, I'll take their "humidity" over anywhere else. Maybe that's why its called "relative humidity?:shrug:

The rains have been coming each afternoon, but so far, quite pleasant. We had some very heavy rains for short stints over the weekend, but this week has been the more gentle afternoon rains. There was a flash flood warning yesterday afternoon and some lightning that ran us off from fly fishing! Didn't seem like waving a carbon composite rod around was a good idea. We'll be on the Silverton train this weekend, with less guilt or concern about fire due to the recent rains.

Be careful & keep alert for flash floods & mud slides - see link for Durango Herald article on yesterday afternoons problems https://durangoherald.com/articles/...ds-property-and-train-tracks-north-of-durango

Yep. 550 and 160 both had mudslides that closed both temporarily yesterday. Just rafted the Animas this morning and it looked like dirty motor oil. Floods helped the flow rates but made for some nasty water!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back