• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Paint over Chrome

bowtie39

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Simple issue but before I attempt this I'm asking.

Want to use a set of Kuryakyn offset peg mounts that are chromed and I prefer em black. Will sanding some of the finish off be enough to hold primer/paint? Don't really want to take them to have powdercoated.

Thanks,
RNK

Two routes.
1. Sandblast to metal and powdercoat/paint.
2. Acid etch and powdercoat/paint.

Larry
VFRrider

Yes, probably a 50/50 HCL with fairly soon water and baking soda neutralization until surface is thoroughly etched.

Sandblasting is safer.

Surface needs tooth for anything to stick.

Larry
VFRrider

I have sanded chrome then primed and painted with good results. Thing to remember is that chrome is a bit too smooth to have 'tooth' for the primer to key into. Sand into the nickel layer below the chrome (if it is a three layer job) and follow ordinary paint prep steps. I like to bake the final coat for about half an hour after it has dried thoroughly. I find it cures the paint to a harder finish. Not very hot, 250 to 275.

Y'know Kury makes alot of their stuff in black now if you don't already own those offsets.
But if you're repurposing stuff you already have..never mind.

Thanks all for the tips. Will decide route to take soon.

Have seen the black stuff Kury and others make but like you mentioned.....I have these and have to try.

Thanks again,
RNK

Just plastidip it. My buddy did his entire HD chrome goodies in plastidip. Easy application and when he gets bored it just peels off.

An alternative to the HCL acid might be Phosphoric Acid --- the HomeDepot carries it in the tile section (Qts).
I tested it on an old rusty chrome header pipe --- it removed the rust & etched the chrome.
It's been a while, but I don't recall any fumes. Not so w HCL muriatic acid

Just sand it and use a good primer, then paint it. Body workers have been doing it to bumpers for years...

Back