• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Austin Area Urban Dual Sport Rides

Not to say I didn't dump crossing the creek on the way in. Didn't have the camera out at the time (convenient I know).

Watch in slow motion, no edit I promise.

I believe you, just razin.

Anyone riding this weekend... Feb 14&15. I'm looking to get dirty.

How about Area 51 and the East Side trails? Should be a high of 75 on Sat and evening Showers on Sun. Possible rain next weekend too so Sat the 14th may be best.

50% chance of rain this Friday, 80% change on Saturday and next weekend looks wet too. Tomorrow is supposed to be a high of 69° with calm winds and sunset at 6:30 pm. I'm going to try to get a few hours of trail riding in at Area 51. There may be a little mud in low spots but the hills usually stay pretty dry. Meet at Exxon - Loyola/183 at 4:30 pm. We can take a few laps and ride off into the sunset or keep going until shortly after dark. Post up if you want to ride and I'll make sure I show.

Thanks, out of time
I rode some Bastrop yesterday and some Emma Long today... ya woo. kinda rough. But I liked it. My old body was tweakin on ktm 250 left the wr250r on trailer for that episode.
So... I'm heading back up to Illinois. Might just hit clarksville Ar. on the way home. Ozark Adventure. trail boss?
Thanks gettin back wish I had more time. Maybe next Feb. (this is my yearly get away time from my work)

Tom

I rode city park yesterday...weather was awesome. I came across something that's not often seen out there. 1/4 of the way into the main loop, I caught up to a rider walking in front of his BMW 800 looking down at some rock ledges in front of us. His sidekick was on a WR250R. I think he said it's his 1st time out there. Knowing how tricky this spot is, I showed him where the line was. But he wasn't interested in trying it. Luckily there was a detour to go around the ledges, so he was wise to take that trail instead. After finishing the loop, I was talking w/ another rider @ the parking lot, saying I didn't think the rider on that 800 can make the whole loop b/c it gets quite nasty at around mile 4-5, and his bike don't have but maybe 6-8" ground clearance, and weighs almost 500 lbs. No sooner than I said that, he and his buddy rode into the parking lot from the street. Luckily they found an EMS trail to bail out of there, plus, it was starting to get dark.

What little rain we got, it sure did its magic with filling in all the ruts. The trails are just PRIMO right now. It's been a while since I've ridden city park. I noticed all the other secondary trails (that the trials bike guys use) were closed off. IS this b/c of that stupid warbler bird the city's protecting again?

An F800GS at City Park? Either the guy has a serious misconception about what that bike will do, or a serious misconception about Emma. :eek2:

I took my KLR650 there once...ONCE! It was a serious butt kicking for me and not much better for the bike.

There's not a lot of detail about Emma out there unless you talk directly to someone familiar with it.

Pictures of the ledges and other tough obstacles would help dissuade guys riding big girls.

An F800GS at City Park? Either the guy has a serious misconception about what that bike will do, or a serious misconception about Emma. :eek2:
Yea, no kidding. An F800GS at city park.
At first I thought he was on a KTM 1290 ADV, b/c his bike has a solid plastic Paris/Dakar type windshield where you have to stand up to look over.

But it was this ledge where I met up w/ him.
IMG_4932.jpg

If you know where the line is, it's just like rolling down a plank. If you don't, well, it's soil sample time.:lol2:

Yea, no kidding. An F800GS at city park.
At first I thought he was on a KTM 1290 ADV, b/c his bike has a solid plastic Paris/Dakar type windshield where you have to stand up to look over.

But it was this ledge where I met up w/ him.
IMG_4932.jpg

If you know where the line is, it's just like rolling down a plank. If you don't, well, it's soil sample time.:lol2:

Ridden that ledge many many times... on mountainbikes ;) I dinked around out there once or twice on my 450EXC when I didn't have any where else to go, but I had no illusions about my ability to ride it out there. 31" inseam, 38" seat height....

not to highjack a thread BUTT I must brag a little on my son in law i watched him jump off that ledge then turn around and ride back up it .he is 27 and cat 1 mtb racer i was impresed no doubt.if you see black tundra he is there a lot name is nick good young man .he treats my daughter great sorry for thread high jack .tony d:giveup:

No worries, Austin generates some very skilled Mountainbikers with it's technical terrain. We (wife and I) didn't realize how much it helped us until we moved away to places with significantly easier (and more boring) riding... but with generally much better views than scrub cedar ;)

We'll be riding Emma Long ( city park ) on Friday at 15:30. Come join us (yes, this means you) if you can.
Bikes under 450 cc recommended :doh:

I've been wanting to try Emma Long sometime but don't think I can get out of work that early. I'll be watching for the next ride and Vinny, let me know the next time you hit SHNF too.

Hey guys, I am new to the Houston area, and looking for some fairly close rides to take the KTM 990 on. Is the location of this City Park you guys mentioned near Fayetteville? - Thanks.

They're talking about Emma Long park. It was named City Park for decades before it was renamed Emma Long, so a lot of people still use the old name. Anyway, it's a park in the western part of Austin, not anywhere near you. And its trails are almost certainly too technical for your KTM. Any bike with a 300+ lb wet weight and under 11 inches of clearance on those trails is going to be a serious challenge.

Last edited:
For some reason I just got a thread notification from this thread (they come and go) and I couldn't help compare my old Urban DS days in Austin (which were very fun and very cool) with my current, opposite-of-urban days here.

Did a 100 miler today, fixed two flat rear tires, and got waaay off the beaten path for the ride home.

IMG_7725_Mod-M.jpg

30 Miles from Anywhere and Wondering if the Tire Fix Would Hold

Keep it ripping guys!

Haven't rode the east side trails for a while due to rain. Went to check it out yesterday and almost got in over my head. Trails are completely gone in some locations due to heavy brush. There was plenty of mud too.

18169704982_1ea770c6b5_z.jpg

18146799956_d290a00d61_z.jpg

Last edited:
Back