• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

This photograph is not free...

Thoughts?

After finding some images of mine on a routine google search that were lifted from a members-only forum I have cut way back on posting photos on the web. Yes, I was naive enough to think they could only be viewed by a captive audience.

I have a buddy who regularly uses google's image search to look for things he has taken. He's caught a few people using his photos without giving him credit, or even claiming it is their own.

Hmmm, good article. And great points. I think that it's become worse over the past decade or so due to the proliferation of lower cost high quality cameras and the ease of which you can snap a picture and transfer it electronically quickly and easily. Instead of going thought the hassle of processing it the "old fashioned way".

I may not agree with the 'value' of the single photo, but I thought there were some good talking points brought up when people say they will give you 'credit'. IMO, we work hard at creating images, so much of this was spot on.

Thoughts?

Source:
http://petapixel.com/2012/01/10/this-photograph-is-not-free/

Good point! In my new position, I am in need of images to post to FB, Twitter, etc. to enhance messages. I use the Google search for "free use" but then am hesitant to use as I don't want to take someone else's work. I am in this for fun, but respect that there are many costs that go into photography and people's work should be respected and valued.

Jennifer

Good point! In my new position, I am in need of images to post to FB, Twitter, etc. to enhance messages. I use the Google search for "free use" but then am hesitant to use as I don't want to take someone else's work. I am in this for fun, but respect that there are many costs that go into photography and people's work should be respected and valued.

Jennifer

If I have to create something that's going to be used more than just in my youth group, I buy royalty free photos off fotolia or something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misuse of intellectual property is not a theft equal to the cost of the materials and equipment, but the earned talent of the artist. The catch is there is a lot of content out there and digital technology increases the quality and availability of that content. An acquaintance is the head of the photography department at an art college in the Pacific Northwest. No matter how proficient I became with a camera, there was always something about his work that was far above mine in quality and inspiration. After studying photography for decades and earning an MFA, the guy has professional level talent. He makes a living selling his art and teaching photography. Mueller may be deservedly miffed at having someone request his work for free (if publishing someone is "free".) There is always someone wanting something for nothing and he just has to say "no thanks."

Funny, thinking about it, I've published roughly 30 photographs this year along with my journal articles. I have no aspiration to be a professional photographer, so I never gave a second thought to throwing them in for free.

m

I'm kind of in the boat with "Meriden". Am an avid photographer, but an amateur; tend to be pleased when people use or want to use my pics. That being said, if I were professional, and actively involved in selling photos, then I would feel entirely different about it.
"Exposing" beauty that exists in the natural world is one of the contributions I can make to this profit driven world we live in; if someone smiles, remembers something in their life, or is pleased by a photo that I take then I feel like the world is a little bit better.

Pooo yiiii! I have thousands of photos out there in cyber land. If someone wants to use one, have at it. Glad I took something that interested them. But, Never did my picture taking for a living or to make money off it. Even my Wedding roamer pictures were for whom ever wanted them and many preferred them over the pro peoples pictures due to no posing. Guess I would get more excited about it if did.

After finding some images of mine on a routine google search that were lifted from a members-only forum I have cut way back on posting photos on the web. Yes, I was naive enough to think they could only be viewed by a captive audience.

Curious how you can "google" an image? Thanks

Never mind, I googled it! lol, had no idea.

Last edited:
Back