• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Battle of the Bulge

Dahveed is absolutely correct: get a thumbs up from your physician. It should go without saying, but needs to be said.

If you have not trained with weights in many years, the results may surprise you. It will challenge you in new ways, which helps prevent weight loss stagnation. Plus the body never stops responding to new stimuli, and muscle regeneration & growth are inevitable side-effects.

Two notes: always warm up prior to lifting. Walk, elliptical, whatever it takes. Hitting the weights cold is a recipe for injury.

Secondly (and this comes with time), increase the resistance as you grow stronger. Light weights + many reps (12+) can lead to stagnation. Just as with weight loss, the goal is steady improvement and avoiding plateaus.

We're changing Beemerless Bob to Beachbody Bob! Now drop and give me 20! Okay, maybe 2. 1 is fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dahveed is absolutely correct: get a thumbs up from your physician. It should go without saying, but needs to be said.

If you have not trained with weights in many years, the results may surprise you. It will challenge you in new ways, which helps prevent weight loss stagnation. Plus the body never stops responding to new stimuli, and muscle regeneration & growth are inevitable side-effects.

Two notes: always warm up prior to lifting. Walk, elliptical, whatever it takes. Hitting the weights cold is a recipe for injury.

Secondly (and this comes with time), increase the resistance as you grow stronger. Light weights + many reps (12+) can lead to stagnation. Just as with weight loss, the goal is steady improvement and avoiding plateaus.

We're changing Beemerless Bob to Beachbody Bob! Now drop and give me 20! Okay, maybe 2. 1 is fine.

You seem to know what you're doing.

I try to do 3 sets with reps of 12, 10, & 8. I use a weight that I can lift 12 times max. Is this too many reps? Should I reduce the reps/increase the weight?

I'm unsubscribing if people start posting beach pictures of FOGs (fat old guys).

The 12/10/8 plan is solid. At our ages we're not shooting for 1 rep/max weight. A gradual but deliberate approach works best.

However, sticking with the same weight & rep combo will inevitably limit gains. If you're hitting 12 reps consistently, it may be time to bump up the weight to where you're maxing at 8-10 reps. Pretty soon you'll hit 12 reps, then it's time to bump it again. Your body will tell you if it's smart/safe. Some soreness is good; any pain is not. There's a difference.

Something to note: most people over 50 have some back issues. Unless you're experienced with the squat rack, I'd avoid that exercise. A great substitute is dumbbells held at your sides. This keeps the additional weight below your lumbar, which help minimize stress on the spine.

Before attempting any weighted leg lifts, you should be able to perform at least 20 body weight-only squats. This simple exercise is very effective and provides a solid baseline, as you're moving a significant percentage of your total body weight. Don't be disappointed if you cannot do 20, or even 10. It's a difficult maneuver that requires strength, balance, and practice. Proper form is imperative, and the internet is littered with instructions & videos.

The 12/10/8 plan is solid. At our ages we're not shooting for 1 rep/max weight. A gradual but deliberate approach works best.

However, sticking with the same weight & rep combo will inevitably limit gains. If you're hitting 12 reps consistently, it may be time to bump up the weight to where you're maxing at 8-10 reps. Pretty soon you'll hit 12 reps, then it's time to bump it again. Your body will tell you if it's smart/safe. Some soreness is good; any pain is not. There's a difference.

Something to note: most people over 50 have some back issues. Unless you're experienced with the squat rack, I'd avoid that exercise. A great substitute is dumbbells held at your sides. This keeps the additional weight below your lumbar, which help minimize stress on the spine.

Before attempting any weighted leg lifts, you should be able to perform at least 20 body weight-only squats. This simple exercise is very effective and provides a solid baseline, as you're moving a significant percentage of your total body weight. Don't be disappointed if you cannot do 20, or even 10. It's a difficult maneuver that requires strength, balance, and practice. Proper form is imperative, and the internet is littered with instructions & videos.

I forgot a key part of my working out. I increase the weight with each set. When I can do the 10 rep weight 12 times, that becomes the new 12 number.

Also, I change up the order in which I do the exercises each week. I also generally do opposing direction after each other. So the bench press will be followed by the pull-back machine. The military press followed by the lat pull down. These are all machines I'm working on because they're the easiest to set up and use. Except for bi's and tri's. I use free weights for those.

I just started doing squats on this machine. Just one set for now. Working slowly into it.

I'm only doing about 8 exercises 3 times a week. This fall I expect to get more consistent with it again.

27de725b2f925d802895d436783d931b.jpg

Photo of sone of the machines I'm using.

Cybex and similar machines are great for warming up, or if recovering from injury. Free weights, bands, and body-weight exercises take it to the next level, as they engage multiple muscles & joints, and offer more of a "whole body" experience.

Core exercises should be part of every routine, every day. Planks and pillars deliver tremendous results, building the foundation by which all other movements are based. Plus you can perform core exercises anywhere, anytime. Opening a door? Getting out of bed? Slightly tighten your midsection and feel how that stable base impacts the movement. Do the same when bending, lifting, pulling, or pushing anything. Yes, it sounds trivial, but it's effective. Not only do you perform hundreds of mini-workouts daily, you're also reducing the risk of injury. The greater the resistance/weight, the tighter you contract your core. Give it a try!

Bob, as long as youre moving and are vigilant about good meal choices youre on the right track. Its typical to plateau and it can be discouraging compred to the initial significant drop. You are awesome for losing 47 pounds in 2 and half months. Keep us the good work!

That's one advantage of horizontally-opposed cylinders!

My Multistrada pops right up with the old handlebar trick. Just rotate the bars to where the wheel points "up", grab the grip, and lift. Surprisingly easy, but the Multi's dry weight is only 430 lbs. Tall & wide bars help, too.

So Bob, do you want me to change your user ID now? :-). Stick with it, man. You're doing great.

FAT MAN HAS LOST 44 lbs, and Kyler is 45 lbs. I've lost an entire little person!

2/6/2017 - 284 lbs
2/26/2017 - 275 lbs
3/3/2017 - 270 lbs
3/7/2017 - 265 lbs
3/17/2017 - 260 lbs
4/5/2017 - 255 lbs
4/13/2017 - 250 lbs
5/14/2017 - 245 lbs
6/29/2017 - 240 lbs

I'm running out of clothes that I can wear. I have undergrown them.
77c65a26031c18e7b2fe7c444ab9abf0.jpg

FAT MAN HAS LOST 44 lbs, and Kyler is 45 lbs. I've lost an entire little person!

2/6/2017 - 284 lbs
2/26/2017 - 275 lbs
3/3/2017 - 270 lbs
3/7/2017 - 265 lbs
3/17/2017 - 260 lbs
4/5/2017 - 255 lbs
4/13/2017 - 250 lbs
5/14/2017 - 245 lbs
6/29/2017 - 240 lbs

Looking good Bob! Congrats and keep at it. :clap:

A physician had a sign on the wall of his examining room that said "The way to live a long healthy life is to have a chronic condition and manage it well." Make your little heart episode change your life for the better.

2/6/2017 - 284 lbs
2/26/2017 - 275 lbs
3/3/2017 - 270 lbs
3/7/2017 - 265 lbs
3/17/2017 - 260 lbs
4/5/2017 - 255 lbs
4/13/2017 - 250 lbs
5/14/2017 - 245 lbs
6/29/2017 - 240 lbs

77c65a26031c18e7b2fe7c444ab9abf0.jpg

Fantastic news. What is your goal weight wise?

Back