• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2017 Iron Butt Rally

Anybody know yet what hotel in Dallas the checkpoints are at? I saw Rich posted in FJRForum but I didn't see an answer. I'd love to go see these bikes in person.

From the IBR thread in ADVRider:
CHECKPOINT 1 INFORMATION -

Wednesday, June 28, 8pm - 10pm
Courtyard Dallas Allen at the John Q. Hammons Center
210 East Stacy Road
Allen, TX 75002

they're off ..... Monday 6_26_17 1100 CDT

attachment.php

Attachments

• 01 Monday 6_26_17 1100 CDT.jpg
    01 Monday 6_26_17 1100 CDT.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 287
just started and there are two lone wolves or two lost sheep already.

I can't reach the update PDF's keep getting error message.

just started and there are two lone wolves or two lost sheep already.

I can't reach the update PDF's keep getting error message.

Received email Saturday that the Iron Butt page was being overloaded with viewers and if you were a Premier member you received a back door link that gets you to the page .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The Texas checkpoint is for both Wednesday AND Saturday.

I will be slaving away Wednesday but plan on being on hand for the show Saturday.

Any recommendations for those who have not spectated at a check point before or things not to do?

Any recommendations for those who have not spectated at a check point before or things not to do?
Pretty much stay out of the way of the riders and leave them alone. They are in rally mode and many don't like the interruptions. Having bottled water on hand though is appreciated by some, but many just want to get their picture and be on their way.

Much as this has become a bit of a spectator sport, it's still about the riders and is more for them than it is for you. You might have good intentions but they are on the move in a sport that requires concentration and efficiency of stops.

That said, I'm pretty impressed with the Boge family, both in what they are doing and what they've already done. That little girl is going to have the best "What I did on my summer vacation" story of the entire class.

Spotwalla temporarily down for the public IBR page.

From Spotwalla on facebook.

Due to a billing anomaly in my Google account, I've temporarily disabled the IBR Location Page. I'm not sure what the issue is since Google bills me for other services that SpotWalla uses. I opened a support case.
Until I hear from them and get this resolved, the public IBR location page will be disabled. I hope this allows the rider's family members and the IBR staff to track the riders without any issues.
Anyway, y'all please be patient while we get this sorted out. I'll let everyone know when it's resolved.
Thanks.

^^^ Thanks for sharing that, certainly willing to be a patient 'public' if it helps participant family and IBR staff stay informed.

Oh, and ditto on the Boge Family observations ... watched the YouTube vid of their interview ..... What a lucky family / young lady (and parents)!

Last edited:
Spotwalla page is back up. Looks like one rider headed South down I-35. Just North of Temple right now. Any guesses where he/she is heading?

Edit: There's a Bucees in Temple. Maybe he needs a picture of the beaver...

Last edited:
they are spread out good.

are the times the same for the check point on Saturday?

Dinosaurs seem to be a big part of the first leg. I have found 4 bikes stopped at various spots around the Spotwalla map. Three of them were at dinosaur related sites.

Dinosaurs seem to be a big part of the first leg. I have found 4 bikes stopped at various spots around the Spotwalla map. Three of them were at dinosaur related sites.

bunch of them up here in Glenrose.

I may try to show up Wednesday and observe from the sidelines. EMT school makes doing stuff during the week a pain.

Rider who left Freer might be headed to Fort Stockton for the giant roadrunner statue .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

... are the times the same for the check point on Saturday?

Yep.
CHECKPOINT 1
Wednesday, June 28, 8pm - 10pm
Courtyard Marriott in NW Dallas, TX (John Q. Hammons Center, 210 E. Stacy Rd,
Allen TX 75002)
Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01pm
Scoring opens at 5pm
Leg 2 Bonuses distributed at 4am, June 29

CHECKPOINT 2
Saturday, July 1, 8pm - 10pm
Marriott in NW Dallas, TX (same location as CP1)
Penalty points accrue at 8:00:01pm
Scoring opens at 5pm
Leg 3 Bonuses distributed at 4am, July 2

Last edited:
Pretty much stay out of the way of the riders and leave them alone. They are in rally mode and many don't like the interruptions. Having bottled water on hand though is appreciated by some, but many just want to get their picture and be on their way.

Just a small correction. This is a checkpoint and not a bonus location in the sense of other bonus locations. They will be checking in to the hotel.

But you're very correct in terms of leaving them alone. If they want to talk to you, they'll engage with you but most will be very focused on getting some needed rest, working on bike issues, etc. They will be getting their next rally packets at 4 am the next morning.

If you're there just before 5 pm on Wed and stay to 8 pm you'll see the vast majority of them, and get to see some well-farkled bikes for a bit until they get covered.

Back