• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

criminal motorcycle gang vs. moped cops

These events and subsequent videos bring about a complex set of problems. I don't see why riding a wheelie in Texas is worthy of a Felony, and other offenses , like taking the right-of-way from a motorcyclist are simply moving violations. In Killeen I get peeved when the hooligans hold up or impede traffic for their "stunt shows".

They can't do anything about these street gangs mounted on stolen atvs & motorcycles. Or rather, they WONT do anything. It's going on all over the biggest cities.

They should offer a hunting season, & the hunter gets to keep whatever motorcycle/atv the criminal is on.

since we're talking about the breakdown in the fabric of society...I learned from a friend that works at Lowes that basically Lowes and Walmart won't stop anyone shoplifting if there's not an LP guy on premise, and even then, they inform the cops, but don't necessarily call them. He got written up for calling the cops on a guy when the LP guy wasn't there. Last week, he had a guy roll out with a flat cart near closing time with their entire stock of Dewalt large circular saw blades and two blowers and never looked back. 5% shrinkage in a $50 mill store is a lot. :crazy: It's all about what you can get away with now, it seems, not what's the right thing to do.

They can't do anything about these street gangs mounted on stolen atvs & motorcycles. Or rather, they WONT do anything. It's going on all over the biggest cities.

They should offer a hunting season, & the hunter gets to keep whatever motorcycle/atv the criminal is on.

Should there be a bag limit or more like varmint hunting with no limit?:lol2:

This wheelie thing caught my interest. There seem to be comments on forums, especially sport bike forums, about wheelies being illegal, but I can't find anything more substantial. Normally this kind of stuff is in the 545.416 or 545.420 sections. Can someone point to the statute that specifically speaks to wheelies?

This wheelie thing caught my interest. There seem to be comments on forums, especially sport bike forums, about wheelies being illegal, but I can't find anything more substantial. Normally this kind of stuff is in the 545.416 or 545.420 sections. Can someone point to the statute that specifically speaks to wheelies?

A ticket I received years ago for riding a wheelie was written up as exhibition of acceleration.

A ticket I received years ago for riding a wheelie was written up as exhibition of acceleration.

That offense doesn't exist anymore. It got lumped in with "Racing", which is a class B misdemeanor (a trip to jail, not a ticket). The only time I've seen enforcement action on a wheelie resulted in an arrest for reckless driving (also a class B misdemeanor). That was a trooper l, and was highly questionable. There is no specific offense for a wheelie in Texas.

This was back in 82. A Conroe motorcycle cop on a Sunday morning popped me.

My buddy got a "exhibition of power" ticket when smoking up an intersection from doing a burn out on a bike. We were like 16 or 17. We took off and a cop turned into the intersection and had his lights on before we hit the other side of it. I wasn't doing one so I didn't get a ticket.

I think now wheelie ticket falls under "Reckless driving"?

Kinda funny story..... My neighbor in Lubbock was a state trooper. Several houses down from me. I had seen her sit in her cruiser in front of the her house one morning and bust the younger couple that were always speeding up and down the street when coming or leaving for work. She caught me after I done a fresh valve adjustment and washed my dirt bike on a Saturday. I took a ride around the block to "dry it off". I rounded the corner toward my house and the front end just came right up. It felt kinda nice so I decided I'd carry it out a bit. She was like two houses in corner and when I passed by her house she was coming out the door in uniform. She never really talked to me and just kinda gave me dirt looks most of the time. I don't she liked me much. She didn't come down and say any thing, but even in my truck.... dirty looks like I had kicked her dog.

Sometimes I think being the cop on the block would be hard. On the one hand you don't want to be a jerk and hassle everybody who rides a dirt bike down the street. On the other hand they are breaking the law and if something bad happened the you might get into trouble for not stopping it.

Here is an interesting piece from the Fort Worth Star Telegram on why traffic laws are not always enforced.

“To prove reckless driving, you almost have to have something happen, like a motorcycle riding a wheelie and they crash,” he said. “Or, if we have witnesses who can show someone was weaving in and out of traffic, that could be considered reckless driving. Other than that, typically, speeding is usually the core of what our officers are looking for.”

m

since we're talking about the breakdown in the fabric of society...I learned from a friend that works at Lowes that basically Lowes and Walmart won't stop anyone shoplifting if there's not an LP guy on premise, and even then, they inform the cops, but don't necessarily call them. He got written up for calling the cops on a guy when the LP guy wasn't there. Last week, he had a guy roll out with a flat cart near closing time with their entire stock of Dewalt large circular saw blades and two blowers and never looked back. 5% shrinkage in a $50 mill store is a lot. :crazy: It's all about what you can get away with now, it seems, not what's the right thing to do.

This actually makes a lot of sense. The LP guy will know the laws and how things can be handled. There's a lot of ways you can screw this up and result in quite a bit of money handed out in a lawsuit usually handled out of court.

I used to cringe when the hardware store next to my store would chase shoplifters through the parking lot. All it takes is something as simple as the shoplifter being chased knocking some little old lady over and breaking her hip and the hardware store would be liable and quickly bankrupt, all over whatever the guy was carrying.

This actually makes a lot of sense. The LP guy will know the laws and how things can be handled. There's a lot of ways you can screw this up and result in quite a bit of money handed out in a lawsuit usually handled out of court.

I used to cringe when the hardware store next to my store would chase shoplifters through the parking lot. All it takes is something as simple as the shoplifter being chased knocking some little old lady over and breaking her hip and the hardware store would be liable and quickly bankrupt, all over whatever the guy was carrying.

True, but we all pay for it one way or another. I don't want to see little old ladies knocked down. However, ~$190 Billion annually is lost to credit card fraud in the US by merchants, banks lose ~$11B, individuals ~$4.5B.

Back