• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

4 stroke exhaust

woodsguy

Ride Red
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Vaughan
This is a silly question but if you ride a 4 stroke single, I notice when idling, the exhaust pulses bounce all over the place behind the bike. Why not a straight pattern? It's weird.:eek2:

I believe it is the harmonic frequency of the large-ish piston that is affecting the "vibrating" exhaust. One a large displacement twin engine, it is easier to see how the entire motorcycle is affected by the harmonic vibrations traveling through the bike at idle. In the thumper the harmonic frequency is present and vibrating the entire motorcycle, but it is less perceptible to the eye.

Take this with a big grain of salt:

I believe that the pulses traveling through the muffler and baffles will create *relative* areas of high and low pressure within the muffler itself, so each next pulse will take a slightly different path than the previous (follow the low pressure)... so when a pulse gets to the end of the muffler, it is not always pointing in exactly the same direction.

Kinda like this if you picture each path as an individual pulse:

Product_Cutaway.jpg

... of course, i could be totally dead wrong on this one.

Not something I've ever noticed riding behind anyone or off the mufflers of my bikes. They have factory exhausts that are very consistent.

Probably only bikes that aren't restricted.

Back