• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Can't Wait for This One: KTM 790 Adventure

:tab I don't know about everyone else, but the prices of bikes are going up WAY faster than my income from year to year. Surely this cannot go on forever. Eventually, there has to be a slow down on the price increases because they will start selling fewer bikes. I guess if folks are willing to take out 7 year loans on bikes like they do on cars, it might take a while... :shrug:

:tab Bikes depreciate crazy fast. I can't imagine buying one new with nothing down and thinking you'll just sell it if you get in a bind on the payments. This is even before the farkling begins! Heck, I have a hard time even thinking of spending close to $10K on any bike, used or new. I guess if I didn't have kids, a house payment, car payment, insurance, etc,... I might be able to float a new bike. Dropping $20K+ on a bike just seems WAY out there for me though :shock:

:tab Maybe I just need a few more folks to sign up as regular monthly forum supporters... :cool2::trust:

Digressing from the point of this thread, but....

:tab I don't know about everyone else, but the prices of bikes are going up WAY faster...

Agreed - and part of my interest in these "mid-sized" bikes is some attempt by the makers to address that. The 1090 is a prime example. Take the 1290, un-stroke it a bit, pull off the most exotic electronics and gizmo's and give it a new model number. I love it! (but, yeah, still not cheap.) The FZ-07, FZ-09 and FJ-09 are also perfect examples of that.

I also think that what we're getting for the price is WAY higher than 5 or 10 years ago: ride modes, traction control, ABS - some are "lean-aware", heated seats and grips, really decent stock brakes and suspension.

Someone oughta look at a 1997, 2007 and 2017 GS. Put sticker price into 2017 dollars, then line-item all the addons from decade to decade.

Bikes depreciate crazy fast.
Like camera bodies. What doesn't depreciate are high-quality lenses. A 5 year old top-of-the-line body is maybe worth 20% of original retail, while a similar lens is probably 70% to 80%.

So, what's the motorcycle equivalent of a good lens?

Digressing from the point of this thread, but....

Agreed - and part of my interest in these "mid-sized" bikes is some attempt by the makers to address that. The 1090 is a prime example. Take the 1290, un-stroke it a bit, pull off the most exotic electronics and gizmo's and give it a new model number. I love it! (but, yeah, still not cheap.) The FZ-07, FZ-09 and FJ-09 are also perfect examples of that.

I also think that what we're getting for the price is WAY higher than 5 or 10 years ago: ride modes, traction control, ABS - some are "lean-aware", heated seats and grips, really decent stock brakes and suspension.

Someone oughta look at a 1997, 2007 and 2017 GS. Put sticker price into 2017 dollars, then line-item all the addons from decade to decade.

Like camera bodies. What doesn't depreciate are high-quality lenses. A 5 year old top-of-the-line body is maybe worth 20% of original retail, while a similar lens is probably 70% to 80%.

So, what's the motorcycle equivalent of a good lens?

I agree that what you get for the money has changed, but part of what bothers me is that I don’t care about most of the stuff they’re putting on bikes now. The only things electronic I want on a bike are fuel injection, lights, and a display. I don’t care about, or want to pay for, traction control, ABS, ride modes, electronically adjustable suspension, GPS, a butt massager, or a fax machine.

I agree that what you get for the money has changed, but part of what bothers me is that I don’t care about most of the stuff they’re putting on bikes now. The only things electronic I want on a bike are fuel injection, lights, and a display. I don’t care about, or want to pay for, traction control, ABS, ride modes, electronically adjustable suspension, GPS, a butt massager, or a fax machine.
Amen! The 790 looks from this distance to be a very good option for my interests as it seems to lack all that gadgetry baggage. The 1190 and 1290 are nice as are GS's and S10's, just not what I want. I absolutely love my Husky 501, just need something a little friendlier with longer trips, but the 690 is too close to what I've got to be worth another one in the stable.

Always makes me chuckle when we're out dirt roading with guys who have to stop at each road type change to turn the ABS on/off. Just leave it off already till you're done for the day!!!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Always makes me chuckle when we're out dirt roading with guys who have to stop at each road type change to turn the ABS on/off. Just leave it off already till you're done for the day!!!

:tab That is not always an option. On my 1200 GS, if you turn the bike off, it resets everything back to the default of ABS on. This is annoying because every time you stop while out riding on dirt, you have to remember to turn it off before you take off again. It would be nice if it would just stay on the last used setting.

Like Gary says, there isn't anything in Texas that requires much more than the average adventure bike. I just leave my ABS on all the time and don't give it a second thought.

As for the Guzzis, I've never seen one that didn't look better in person than they do in photographs - and I've seen some very nice photos of Guzzis. EncoreJoe down in Ezzel has a nice looking Stelvio.

My 690 is the same way, every time you turn the bike off and back on again ABS gets turned back on. And on my bike you do NOT want abs on when riding in the dirt. You can't turn the ABS on again while the bikes under way it seems.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm thinking this is the "one". probably charge $19k or something crazy if it's ever released.

If... there is such a thing as a one bike.

Tenere 700

110617-tenere-700-prototype-beauty-003-d.jpg

I'm thinking this is the "one". probably charge $19k or something crazy if it's ever released.

If... there is such a thing as a one bike.

Tenere 700

110617-tenere-700-prototype-beauty-003-d.jpg

I agree this could be a good choice, surely being a 700 Yamaha won't be near 19K!:giveup:

Been reading about it for 3 years and am jaded and come to expect the worst

Back