• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

2012 Texas Adventure Ride & Texas Adventure Challenge, Apr 19-22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Richard, thanks for the file. Do you have a tracks of the route? The file only has the route. My 60CSx will automatically recalculate when loading the route giving a different route. Even when I recalculate in MapSource the route changes.

What map version did you use to create the route?

Side note: Others do not tell me to turn off auto recalculate. It will not work. Don't go there & hijack the thread!

Chris,

Let me consult with a GPS guru about this and get back with you. I'm so inept with the GPS I thought I was sending out a track, not a route.

City Navigator 2010.10 was used to create the route.

I got reservations for Thursday and Friday. Still need a room for Saturday (they are booked). Anyone have room or know of another hotel with room. I am 90% sure I am going........

Dualsportrider, You're welcome to crash in my room on Saturday night. If I can't find camping accommodations on Thursday, I may come knocking on your door for a place to crash. I'm riding in the TAR, BTW not the TAC.

Mike

That would work with me. I will bring my sleeping bag and mattress. I am doing the TAC this year, so I will be in Del Rio on Friday night. I will PM you later and exchange phone numbers.

Well, I finally got in gear and got a place to sleep (borrowed RV) and found a place to park it (KOA). So that solves my latest procrastination incident.

Lat, In my short-minded thinking I reserved only Friday and Saturday night for motel accommodations. I assumed camping would be plentiful. Do you know if there's room for a small two-man tent and a Kawasaki Versys in the area? Sorry, no leggy women so far but it's still March. Also, do you mind if I ride along with you? I'm in Dallas (Farmers Br.) just north of the LBJ FUBAR.

Lemme know.

Thanks, Mike

Sure Thang, Mike! I like your optimism on the leggy gals though I am sure neither of us are so shallow as to discriminate too much on the vertically challenged.

Lets talk about travel plans. ~Jeff

You know, I don't think they told me. :ponder: I think the website said something like $35. I was desperate since the hotels seems to have all filled up so it didn't matter too much to me. http://www.junctionnorthllanoriverrvpark.com/

I haven't gotten my confirmation email yet. I'll let you know because it is supposed to be in that. I'll call them tomorrow if I haven't gotten the email.

Registration for TAC placed in mail today.

Would a WR250R or a DL1000 V Strom be the best tool for this Job? What is the percentage of dirt roads and how rough are they? I was bringing my KLR but it sold Friday. I assume the route to and from De Rio are different???

What bikes are doing the TAC?

Gone D,

TAC is an adventure tour, not a dual sport ride. I've included as many dirt roads as could practically be done but the truth of the hill country is that there are a limited number of dirt roads remaining in the hill country. Figure 80% pavement and 20% dirt. The dirt roads will be class 1 and 2. The most difficult obstacles on the course will be the low water crossings. The James River crossing will be the most difficult obstacle but there will be a bypass for those not wanting to risk the James River.

The pavement sections will consist of 80% backroads/county roads (30-50 mph) and 20% highway (60-70 mph). Either of your bikes will be fine. If you want to dare the James River (highly recommended) then the WR is the bike to choose. If you are going to bypass the James River then pick the bike you like best for riding 600 miles in 2 days.

The route from Junction to Del Rio is different than the route from Del Rio back to Junction.

Wow! Richard you are on top of everything. Thanks for the quick response.

The V will make the trip and may even dare the river.

Wow! Richard you are on top of everything. Thanks for the quick response.

The V will make the trip and may even dare the river.

And the river is waiting for us:

2012-03-25-Bluebonnets-097a-L.jpg

Looks like i'm in for the TAC. Have a room for thursday at the Best Western and one for friday at Motel 6 in Del Rio, nothing for Sat night yet. Put myself on the standby list in case someone cancels and hope for the best. Shouldn't have waited so long. Anyway.. i'll be on the KLX 250 so i'll be looking for a non-dualsport race group. Want to enjoy the ride and skip the dirt naps. It'll be good to see the riders from last year and meet some new ones

And the river is waiting for us:

2012-03-25-Bluebonnets-097a-L.jpg

aa5ib, Great Picture of the James River Crossing that's what I saw my first time there, Then water, then moss, then limestone.....remember, It's a longer way down when your standing on the peg's. Cross on the deep end stay seated & put your landing gear down incase you start to slide. The shallow end has a bump/rise about 3/4 of the way down, like two tectonic plates but at a 45* angle, if you can see the big ranch gate on the other side of the river (like in the picture) stay to the left (the deep end) avoid the tectonic plate where everyone falls down.....like I did. :flip:

I just got a Ural Gear Up. I thought it was going to be harder to ride than it is. I am considering taking it, and it sounds like it would work out just fine. Especially if I leave the 100# of corn in the sidecar.........

Any opinions?

db

Bring your Ural and I'll ride my slower 250. I'll know at least one person I can ride faster than and I will not have that fear of being left behind.

Dave,

I vote you bring the Ural too. I think it will be just fine, you get cool points for riding it, plus I really want a picture of you riding it across the James River. You can even get bonus cool points if you carry a cooler with cold, refreshing beverages in the side car to quench our thirst during the ride. :)

Sold! I'll bring her and we can have a cold one or two and decide on her name.

Now, to ride down? Trailer down? Take an extra day and take a mini tour? Modern Problems........

db

Bring the Ural, leave the deer corn at home, or you could have deer all around you.....if you know what I mean :trust:

Finally have vacation approved for April, sleeping arrangements paid for, registration sent in, bike is almost ready. Fired up for my first adventure ride in the hill country. Let er rip !

I just got a Ural Gear Up. I thought it was going to be harder to ride than it is. I am considering taking it, and it sounds like it would work out just fine. Especially if I leave the 100# of corn in the sidecar.........

Any opinions?

db

How hard is it to plan all your rides with only left turns? :lol2: Did I hear that Ural makes an app for that?

See you down there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back