• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

More from CES

Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Last Name
McDonald
Continued:
One of the things that I found interesting were the GPS trackers. These are just GPS detectors that allow you to track you vehicle. Like Lojack, except Lojack only operates in metropolitan areas. If your car/bike/ whatever is stolen and the thief manages to get it to Gainesville, the DFW area police have no idea where it is. In the past, these non-Lojack trackers suffered from the need to have an antenna in a local that could "see" a satellite. The newest ones don't need an antenna and (the mfgs swear that you can mount them under a car seat or under your motorcycle seat, sit on it and it still works). These new trackers allow you to locate the vehicle, track its movement and even see where it has been and what speed it has been traveling at. They are down to palm sized so you could even put one in your kids backpack. Some allow you to track through a cell phone (as long as it is GSM). I have friends who could use this with their teenagers. For motorcycles these are used to track someone who is out touring as well as looking for a stolen bike. I think it might be pretty hard to hide one on a motorcycle where a thief wouldn't find it in a hurry.

There wasn't really anything new in the area of motorcylce video. One of my usual Taiwanese suppliers had a small recorder that would record at 30fps (feet per second) which is pretty good for video. Unfortunately, it is not in production. I saw some others that were in production, but only 3 to 5 fps so the picture is jerky. These are recorders with small screens so you need a separate camera. There are cameras, but without some way to playback, one is not sure what they are getting. I am thinking maybe of a separate camera coupled with one of these recorders to allow you to record and have a quick playback to check on quality. The camera that I like the best is the Oregon Scientific camera which uses an SD card. It is pretty simple and only needs a few improvements. A big plus is that since the SD card is contained in the camera there are no wires. You could plug the SD card into a PMP (personal media player) for playback or to check on what has been recorded.
Anymore I don't know what everyone wants.
What would you like to see as an accessory? I import and sell wireless camera systems, but can get just about anything. What do people want?

Pat McDonald
V-strom
Triumph Bonneville
BSA Goldstar
Gas Gas JTX 270
Matchless G80CS
Suzuki RM 125

Back