• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Considering PCV and custom tune

Reaction score
Right now I have Dale's supertuner and pipe. I like this bike enough to spend some more cash and make it even better, but does anyone know if Dale's stuff does anything besides the fueling? Or would i even benefit?

HS tuner only adds fuel. With a custom map there will be areas where fuel is reduced from the oem map. I've had 3 bikes custom mapped and all had some negative entries. That is why I prefer a PC with custom map over any of the less expensive paths. However, I would be surprised if you noticed much improvement performance wise - probably better mpg -provided the bike runs well as is. I would like to see dyno runs of a HS tuned bike then switched to a PC and custom mapped, as well as mpg comparisons.

Have you reviewed the different tuning stages HS has? What stage did you buy? Since you have his tuner don't you have his settings? The oem restrictions on the Bandit are done through the secondary throttle plates. Just remove them, but the a/f ratio has to be changed to accommodate no plates. They start reducing airflow ~ 7,000 rpm. HS stages 1 and 2 don't change the timing. Not much to be gained by changing it.

Have you reviewed the different tuning stages HS has? What stage did you buy? Since you have his tuner don't you have his settings? The oem restrictions on the Bandit are done through the secondary throttle plates. Just remove them, but the a/f ratio has to be changed to accommodate no plates. They start reducing airflow ~ 7,000 rpm. HS stages 1 and 2 don't change the timing. Not much to be gained by changing it.

HS tuner is a crude tool. Flashing you dont need to add abox. Can just turn O2, Pair, all restrictions off. You can also leave the secondry plates in and adjust them for more torque down low.

The 7k rpm dip is timing, nothing to do with fuelling.

HS tuner is a crude tool. Flashing you dont need to add abox. Can just turn O2, Pair, all restrictions off. You can also leave the secondry plates in and adjust them for more torque down low.

The 7k rpm dip is timing, nothing to do with fuelling.

Gotta disagree. The dip is caused by the secondaries, not timing, and they are the only real "restriction" on the bandit, except for the oem small airbox intake port and muffler, and the oem fueling. The exh cat is not very restrictive, and the PAIR system doesnt restrict, but removal does get stuff out of the way, reduce wt, and stop popping on decel. Why dont you post your before and after dyno charts for the reflash? Butt dynos arent very accurate.

Dale is a very experienced tuner, I'd just like to know from someone other than him if there's any room for improvement after doing his Airbox, supertune and slip-on mods other than a full system.

What I'd really like to know is if his supertune pro can do any of the things an ECU flash does:

ECU unleashed maps can
ECU Modifications – (Optional per customer request and application)
* Remove Factory Timing Retard
* Remove Throttle Restrictions
* Increased Idle
* Increased Rev Limit
* Remove Speed Limiters (Gear Dependent)
* Reduce Excessive Engine Braking/Improved Deceleration
* Improved Throttle Control & Reaction
* Remove Injector Shut-Off on Deceleration
* Eliminate Factory “Error codes” (ex. exhaust valve, steering damper)
* Improved Fuel Maps
* Improved Ignition Maps
* Velocity Stack Switching Adjustment (Variable Stacks Only)
* Race Fuel Mapping Accommodations

Last edited:
HS TFI/EJK are piggyback units. Piggyback units wont be as efficient as Flash tunes.
Flash tunes along with Piggyback is much better than Flash tune alone.

Advantage with TFI/EJK is the tune/settings which you get for free from Dale. His settings are the result of the hours he spent in the dyno with his bike.

Definitely powercommander has more knobs for tuning but its a question of money/time on the dyno.

TFI/EJK or power commanders without custom tune may be a perfect fit for 80% of your bike's requirements. ECU flash will be much better than both of them. But the ECU flash would need to be specific for your bike rather than a generic ECU Flash.

my 0.2c

Gotta disagree. The dip is caused by the secondaries, not timing, and they are the only real "restriction" on the bandit, except for the oem small airbox intake port and muffler, and the oem fueling. The exh cat is not very restrictive, and the PAIR system doesnt restrict, but removal does get stuff out of the way, reduce wt, and stop popping on decel. Why dont you post your before and after dyno charts for the reflash? Butt dynos arent very accurate.

Wrong. Dale could not get the dip out. Timing change did. Secondrys on my bike are removed.

First run is with the stock map and the Supertune pro removed. Bike ran better without the Supertune in it.

https://www.facebook.com/brmmotorcycles/posts/699015690260526

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much the factory restrictions and timing retaration :giveup: hold the bike back?

According to ECU unleashed there are restrictions in the ECU that can get rid of.

Last edited:
Does anyone know how much the factory restrictions and timing retaration :giveup: hold the bike back?

According to ECU unleashed there are restrictions in the ECU that can get rid of.

A bit of a timing retard in the low gears and the secondry plates close down a bit at high rpm. All easy to adjust with a flash.

Well my secondaries are out but I bought this for low end power, do you think I'd notice a difference with my setup?

Well my secondaries are out but I bought this for low end power, do you think I'd notice a difference with my setup?

With a flash you get much more everywhere. That's what I have found. Fuel economy is better as well.

I don't have a pic of my torque curve but its 90ftlb. She runs strong down low.

So ECU unleashed would be a good place in the states to have it done?

Doesn't seem like too many options out there

HS did get the "dip" out with the stage 2 tune, by removing the secondaries and no timing changes. http://www.holeshot.com/suzuki/bandit/650-1250/dynocharts

It appears your reflash gained 4-1/2 hp peak and minimal in other areas? There is really nothing to be gained on the Bandit with a reflash vs secondary removal and a PC. The secondaries are the only real restriction. Provided there is a Tuning Link center one can get to, the PC with custom map is really the best. Yes it's ~$300 for the mapping on top of the cost of the PC, but you can then tweak the map to suit, which I have done on all of my bikes. Those tweaks have been at low rpm low throttle to improve throttle pick up and reducing A/F in the cruise range to improve mpg for range.

HS did get the "dip" out with the stage 2 tune, by removing the secondaries and no timing changes. http://www.holeshot.com/suzuki/bandit/650-1250/dynocharts

It appears your reflash gained 4-1/2 hp peak and minimal in other areas? There is really nothing to be gained on the Bandit with a reflash vs secondary removal and a PC. The secondaries are the only real restriction. Provided there is a Tuning Link center one can get to, the PC with custom map is really the best. Yes it's ~$300 for the mapping on top of the cost of the PC, but you can then tweak the map to suit, which I have done on all of my bikes. Those tweaks have been at low rpm low throttle to improve throttle pick up and reducing A/F in the cruise range to improve mpg for range.

You can do what you like to your bike. But mine with the supertune was a fat pig everywhere and too lean at 5% throttle. Ran better with it out. So you can either just ride it or get it flashed. Mine is now smooth and very strong. It would take my superbike on down low for sure.

Sportrider magazine seems to get a different curve to the Holeshot ones.http://www.sportrider.com/project-suzuki-gsx1250fa-gsx-essive

You can do what you like to your bike. But mine with the supertune was a fat pig everywhere and too lean at 5% throttle. Ran better with it out. So you can either just ride it or get it flashed. Mine is now smooth and very strong. It would take my superbike on down low for sure.

Sportrider magazine seems to get a different curve to the Holeshot ones.http://www.sportrider.com/project-suzuki-gsx1250fa-gsx-essive
This is holeshot tune in the magazine but with old dobek TFI. He got the dip out from stage 2 tune when he started to use EFI supertune pro. However the dip is still there with stage one.

Glad you like the reflash. I'll just ride mine with a PC-V & custom map that has no dip in the curve, courtesy of removing the secondaries.

In other words, there's nothing the Supertune pro does a flash or PCV/custom tune can't do better?

I went ahead and scheduled at flash and dyno tune with a well reputed local.

So if anyone want to buy a supertune pro for $140 shipped let me know

In other words, there's nothing the Supertune pro does a flash or PCV/custom tune can't do better?

Correct. Supertune is based on its in built map which you can adjust the edges of. If you need outside of that you are stuck.

Only thing my flash didnt do was reset the clock. :lol2:

I see the Supertune as very old tech. So much more you can do these days.

Last edited:

That contradicts what you said here in post #10:

First run is with the stock map and the Supertune pro removed. Bike ran better without the Supertune in it.

Can you please clarify?

That contradicts what you said here in post #10:

Can you please clarify?

I dont understand what you are asking. Bike was so fat at idle its sounded like a V8 with a big cam. At 5% throttle is surged due to being too lean, from there up it went so fat it wouldnt tune out with adjustment.

American maps are often way to fat here.

Back