• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Cracked headlight glass and Tx state inspection

vtwin

Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know if a cracked headlight glass will cause a bike to fail the Tx state inspection? Headlight still works, just the glass is cracked. This is on a street legal DS that doesn't see very much highway use.
Thanks!

Does anyone happen to know if a cracked headlight glass will cause a bike to fail the Tx state inspection? Headlight still works, just the glass is cracked. This is on a street legal DS that doesn't see very much highway use.
Thanks!

That one is kinda up to the interpretation of the inspector.

Sent from my VZW Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

That one is kinda up to the interpretation of the inspector.

yes, it is up to the inspector... from what i remember, the glass can not have any holes or gaps in it....

when i did state inspections they would only fail with a hole or large gap in the glass etc....

Its $14.50 chances are if your headlights on the inspector wont notice. If your really worried about it stick a piece of clear tape over the crack.

Don't you get one free retest on a bike that failed like you do with a car? Give it a shot, if it fails, fix/repair/replace and you will be home free

Don't you get one free retest on a bike that failed like you do with a car? Give it a shot, if it fails, fix/repair/replace and you will be home free

I dont know if its the same but I just got my bike inspected. Since they only check your lights, horn, brakes and blinkers(if you got them) I would think if their was a problem they would tell you before they even charged ya.

Thanks guys. This a bike I'm taking to Big Bend next Wednesday and just realized the inspecton expired in December. I'll get it fixed but probably not before I leave. I'd prefer not to waste $14 and the time if it's guaranteed to fail. Anyone know of any inspection places in N. Dallas / Plano area with slightly more 'tolerant' opinions? :trust:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi/inspection/item_insp.asp

c. Lamp lens is cracked, broken, discolored, or missing. (Exception: Composite or halogen-type lamps will not be rejected for being cracked, unless the reflector material inside the lamp is discolored or deteriorated.)

Is the bulb on yours an h4 or similar? If so, technically you would be OK. If its an entire sealed beam like on older cars and trucks, he should fail you. Again, its the inspectors call

Good question! It's on the WR250R. I'll have to look when I get home.
Thanks

Is the bulb on yours an h4 or similar? If so, technically you would be OK. If its an entire sealed beam like on older cars and trucks, he should fail you. Again, its the inspectors call

I'm due for an inspection as well . Do you go to the same place as for your auto?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mine is almost 8 months past due for an inspection. Not that I have stopped riding, but I know I need to get it done, there is just to much riding and actual work to do. I figure they will have a hard time reading the dot that is punched out anyways. Maybe next weekend.

I'm due for an inspection as well . Do you go to the same place as for your auto?

You should call in advance. Not everyone will inspect a motorcycle. Also those that don't normally do it may find a crazy reason to fail it. I suggest taking it to a dealer or motorcycle shop that is able to. They also tend to be a lil light on things if you have a relationship with them if the modification is reasonable and not unsafe.

HUH! Learn something every day. I just bought my XR650L last December and I didn't realize that you had to have a bike inspected each year. Where do they put the inspection sticker, cause I don't see one on my bike?:doh:

You could take it to a trailer or RV place (trailers get the same sticker as motos). Chances are they won't notice.

And yeah, it's kind of up to the interpretation of the inspector.
If youre in the Katy area come up here. We have one inspector that rides :trust:

As for placement, it just has to be I. The rear of the bike. Ideally below the license plate. My old plated XR had the sticker on the swingarm and I never had any issues.

Speaking of inspections, does any auto inspector perform moto inspections too? Also, does an inop speedo fail ya haha! What are the other areas covered? Thx

speedometer is not a inspectable item.

some automotive inspection stations do also perform motorcycle inspections.

Many thanks! Let's keep fingers crossed and hope i pass, kinda reminds me of High School, LOL just kidding!

Back