• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

"Do Not Remove Helmet" Stickers

Reaction score
First Name
Kim
Mark's post in mine and Squidward's accident thread made me want to look up some places to get these stickers...

igo-wfo said:
We were talking after the fact and the subject of attempted helmet removal by well meaning but sometimes otherwise clueless witnesses, and I was wondering where I could get some of the "don't take my lid off unless you are a trauma doctor" type stickers. :shame:

After hearing Kim tell me about the numerous offers from folks to take hers off at the scene, I want to get some on my lid ASAP in case I am in a situation where I might not be able to tell them to not try and remove my helmet.

Here are a couple of links:

http://www.reflectivedecals.com/warningsticker.htm

http://www.helmet-stickers.com/xcart/product.php?productid=2492&cat=271&bestseller

If anyone knows of sites with stickers please post up, I know I'll be getting a couple for my next hemmet. ;-)

I wish I could tell you they make any difference. People seldom stop to read directions when placed in a stressful situation without the training to cover it, and then there is the large portion of the population that just assume signs apply others. A still smaller subset considers it a challenge.

I'd have to agree with Kurt. I have very few rules here and it seems some people can't even follow those :roll: :lol2: Seriously though, it might help, can't hurt, so why not?!

I would think if you had this sticker on your helmet and soemone removed it causing damage you would have better grounds for a lawsuit.

oldbmw said:
I would think if you had this sticker on your helmet and soemone removed it causing damage you would have better grounds for a lawsuit.

Meet the Good Samaritan Law:

General immunity from liability: A person who, without compensation or the expectation of compensation, renders emergency care, advice, or assistance at the scene of an emergency or during transit to a location where professional medical care can be rendered, is not liable for any civil damages as a result of acts of omissions by that person in rendering the emergency care, advice, or assistance, unless the person acts in a willful and wanton or reckless manner in providing the care, advice, or assistance. This subdivision does not apply to a person rendering emergency care, advice, or assistance during the course or regular employment, and receiving compensation or expecting to receive compensation for rendering the care, advice, or assistance.

That would be quite arguable though Kurt. With a sticker right there in front of them, you could argue that removing the helmet anyway was reckless. Remember, civil courts have a much lower standard of proof, "more likely than not". This means if you can convince a jury that it was more likely than not that the person was reckless, you win ;-) Of course, most individuals aren't worth suing unless you want to take over all their debt payments :-P

If you have a sticker that says do not remove my helmet and they do this part may take effect "unless the person acts in a willful and wanton or reckless manner in providing the care, advice, or assistance."

I guess it just depends how good the lawyers are.

Were lucky enough to have a pretty professinal group of EMT"s and volunteer fire departments around here and response times are usually pretty quick. The quicker the pros show up the better I'll feel.

:tab Keep in mind though, the rule to not remove a helmet is a general rule and NOT a hard and fast rule no matter what! If the person is choking or not breathing, you WILL need to get the helmet off. Obviously, you want to keep the head lined up with the torso and keep from lifting or turning it if possible. Just pull it straight up and off while supporting the rider's head. The idea is that at this point, they will be dead if you don't remove the helmet and clear the choking or administer CPR. Other damage takes a backseat for the moment.

More than you ever wanted to know about helmet removal:

http://www.mrf.org/pdf/WhitePapers/Volume8-2001/ProperHelmetRemoval.pdf

And not everyone agrees:

http://www.pslgroup.com/dg/243d96.htm

Personally, My approach is that if the person has no spinal tenderness, no neurologic deficit, let them remove their own helmet while holding the head steady at the base of the skull and beneath the jaw. If it hurts, stop and reassess. If they are unconcious, it needs to come off anyway to control the very real possibility of vomiting and aspiration. Another problem is that the helmet creates a forward flexion of the spine that is dangerous in itself.

What's a guy (or gal) to do? Use your best judgement based on the circumstances. There are no hard and fast rules in these situations, only guidelines.

Maybe the squids are on to something. If you don't wear a helmet, you don't have to worry about someone taking it off at an inapproprate time. :rofl:

That's why I always duct-tape and staple mine on...;-)

Ok, so I think this is a good idea and all, but to be honest I'm still pondering the practical aspect...

But in the mean time, this thought crept into my mind about those shrink-wrap software license agreements... Maybe we need something like that... A seal that once broken constitutes acceptance of the directives found on the helmet. "Break the seal, you know the deal!"

ps. Looks like Tracker has the same idea!

Back