• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

DAL/FTW: 5-19-18, Mainly Ellis County back roads

What was everyone's favorite road?

Some of my favorites in order of appearance were, Bell Branch Rd., 4365/Franks Rd., Brannon Rd. (Not an all weather road as the sign states), S Co Rd 3413, 3415, 3417, 3433, NW 4260, NW 4290, NW CR 4250, NW CR 4240, Wray Rd. and Lowell Rd.

my acrobatic incident can probably be better explained by 2WheelNut as he was following me. Basically, I was coming out of a left turn and went too wide. I was on the straight away after the turn, but just off in the grass from the trail/rocks, whatever the path is called there. As I tried to get back over, I gave it a little gas (too much it seems) and the back end went to the right.

I remember thinking in the middle of sliding around "I think I can save this" and no sooner than that thought was finished than I was airborne.

The clutch side mirror got broken and my luggage boxes are a little pushed over, but nothing expensive or serious. Personally, I'm mostly just sore as I tried riding a dirt road Friday after work and dropped my bike about 5 times in 15 minutes because it was too slick. I'm unhurt, but seriously out of shape.

my acrobatic incident can probably be better explained by 2WheelNut as he was following me. Basically, I was coming out of a left turn and went too wide. I was on the straight away after the turn, but just off in the grass from the trail/rocks, whatever the path is called there. As I tried to get back over, I gave it a little gas (too much it seems) and the back end went to the right.

I remember thinking in the middle of sliding around "I think I can save this" and no sooner than that thought was finished than I was airborne.

The clutch side mirror got broken and my luggage boxes are a little pushed over, but nothing expensive or serious. Personally, I'm mostly just sore as I tried riding a dirt road Friday after work and dropped my bike about 5 times in 15 minutes because it was too slick. I'm unhurt, but seriously out of shape.

You had taken a good line through the corner and weren't really going that fast and were in control. You were at least 100-150 feet past it when you went off the road (gravel with grass on the sides so the edge of the road wasn't really too defined)

I honestly think you just weren't looking far enough ahead and had drifted to the edge a bit too far.

When the edge dropped off a bit and became grass and at a lower level than the "road" it kind of pushed you off a few inches where you were parallel to the road but lower than it and in the grass. You tried to immediately come back up the incline and your front tire made it but your rear slid on the grass and you went a bit sideways. You chopped the throttle and it caught and went into a bit of a high side moment but you were slow enough that it didn't throw you but it stopped almost all your momentum and the bike got unsettled. When you got back on the gas, you were just already falling over so it just kind of accelerated you to the ground.

You gracefully rolled a bit and popped up. I was glad to see you were ok.

I think if you were looking farther ahead, you'd never have ridden off the road in the first place. Once you rode off, you probably should have just stayed in the grass a few more feet and then taken a more direct path back up and on the road. The angle you took was too shallow, which caused your rear tire to start to slide out.

Stuff happens...you learned some things and didn't get too hurt. I've done all of that a few times myself.

Last edited:
Some of my favorites in order of appearance were, Bell Branch Rd., 4365/Franks Rd., Brannon Rd. (Not an all weather road as the sign states), S Co Rd 3413, 3415, 3417, 3433, NW 4260, NW 4290, NW CR 4250, NW CR 4240, Wray Rd. and Lowell Rd.

LOL....I had NO idea where I was other than somewhere in Ellis and Hill counties.

But...I also don't think I've ever had that much fun riding a motorcycle on roads within 75 miles of my house and I've lived here pretty much my entire life.

MacDaddy picked some nice routes.... I'd definitely be up for following him around again.

Oh...and we stopped by a glider airstrip out by Midlothian on the route home and saw a glider take off and land a couple times. It was a decent little detour and capped off a nice riding day.

Having someone who saw what I was doing helps me learn. I recall looking at the line between the rocks and grass right in front of the bike. The thought of "oh, I'll just nudge this that way and be on my way" popped in my head while looking down towards the tire. Of course, my body responded to that thought.

Meanwhile in the back of my head there was a voice trying to say "look ahead, stay in the grass little and then try to get over". I hate that voice. It's never loud enough for me to listen to it.

I am so glad I saw this thread; this is exactly what I am looking for to ride.
My XL250R is itching to do some dirt/gravel riding.

I'm gonna check out the Ride With GPS routes and go ride them myself.

Is there any particular one that is the best "bang for the buck"? I'm looking at the Grandview 100 mile loop.

My bike is due for an oil change so maybe after the ride someone can tell me what not to do if they are feeling nice. I've got a filter, now just need magic or jedi powers to get this done. (It is something that I intend to do tomorrow either way. Never done it on this bike so new experience.)

Did you figure out the oil change? Sorry...I didn't see this until now or I could have shown you what to do.

If you haven't done it....I bet I can find you a youtube video on it. They are there for most bikes these days. It's not hard at all once you do it, but I can understand it being hard if you've never done one.

Here's a youtube video for it....not too hard.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcwTrWhUgO4"]Kawasaki Versys 650 Oil and Filter Change - YouTube[/ame]

Personally.... I think he makes it a bit more complicated than it is. You don't have to use a synthetic but it's not bad if you do and I don't think you have to prime / pre-fill the filter either but it certainly won't hurt to do it. I personally would not spray brake cleaner around the filter area, I just wipe down with a paper towel or rag to make sure the mating surfaces where you screw on the filter don't have debris on them. You just want it clean so that the gasket makes good contact and seals. If you start the bike and nothing drips....you're fine.

Last edited:
No, I haven't gotten to it yet. After I got home, I was too tired to mess with it. I know I have to take the skid plate off so I figure I may try for this coming Sat.

Thanks for the video. I just got simple motor oil. I think the shop manual says it takes a little more oil if the filter is dry when installed. Still need something to drain the oil into before I start. Knowing myself, I'd get everything else ready, start loosening the drain bolt and only then realize I have nothing to catch the oil.

Back