• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

lost rear brakes after washing

mojo

Reaction score
so I washed the KLR today brakes were fine after wards. stopped and ate lunch and when I got back on the bike the rear brakes were mushy ,no braking unless I mashed them all the down and then it would lock up the rear tire. so have I ruined the rear pads? any one had this happen ?

:tab Washing the bike should not affect the brakes once the pads are dry. If they are REALLY wet, they might not grip the rotor with as much friction as normal. The same is true of car/truck brakes when you drive through deep water or a big puddle that splashes up into the brakes. I will sometimes ride the brakes for a few seconds after going through water to heat and dry the rotors for just that reason. If the bike had already dried and the brakes still felt mushy, then there is likely some other problem.

:tab The KLR is not known for great brakes to begin with. The stock hoses are rubber and they will expand under pressure, requiring more force at the lever to achieve the desired braking force. The switch to stainless braided lines makes a VERY noticeable difference in this regard. Also, if air gets into the brake lines, it will compress and absorb braking pressure. Keeping the hoses properly bled makes a BIG difference. I have read of people that claimed their rotors were "glazed" and the use of Scotch-Brite pads removed this glaze. I've not tried that, but the idea behind it is that the glazing reduces the friction force between the pads and rotors, thus you get a "mushy" feel. The only time I ever experienced what might be called glazing is after riding in deep silt and the silt got between the rotor and pads where it melted. It made a very strong smell. The effect faded within about 30 miles of riding. Check your pads. There should be a few grooves in them. When the pads are worn, the grooves will be almost gone, kind of like tread on a tire wearing down to the wear mark between treads. New pads make a big difference because they don't have to move as far before engaging the rotor, thus less squeeze at the lever is required. If I recall correctly, the OEM pads for the KLR weren't all that great. Many people switch to the EBC-HH pads for better performance.

I would bleed them using a hand vacuum pump.... works great to get all air out and new fluid in.

You actually washed your KLR? [emoji965][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You actually washed your KLR? [emoji965][emoji16]

I wasn't going to say anything :lol2:

I used to wash mine before I did any serious work on it. It just makes things easier...

When I use Simple Green to wash my bike it always leaves the brakes a little mushy. Whatever is in the SG that makes the bike shine is the culprit I think. But after I get them hot a few times they seem to be better. Never as good as original though.

When I use Simple Green to wash my bike it always leaves the brakes a little mushy. Whatever is in the SG that makes the bike shine is the culprit I think. But after I get them hot a few times they seem to be better. Never as good as original though.
I was using the car wash soap, bled the brakes seemed to have helped a little put few miles on it and they seem to be improving just strange it did not affect the front brakes

i was going to suggest you check the drain for your lost brakes, but its not like that type of lost. ;-)

pressure wash? always a bad idea,

MotoSport has a special, buy a set of Galfer front pads and get a free rear set. They also sell all sorts of accessories and parts, $79.00 qualifies for free shipping. I have brakes pads, air & oil filters on the way for my KLX. rh

Back